Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 AM

296 posts, read 260,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We don't need these people though. Almost 70 million is enough for a country the size of the UK, thats a pretty high population density.
Big business does & puts pressure on what ever government has control to make sure they keep coming.

Quote:
In all honesty I would say that I don't think we will get a vote to leave but it will be close. I think the government knows this and is doing the vote to give the EU a kick up the ass and change things.

I will be voting to leave as I want to be an independent country/entity.
People are cowards! Look at the Scotland yes or no campaign. All the main parties had to say was that you will lose money, so even people that wanted yes, voted no. Look at the general election results a few month later, when there was no risk they all voted the same, scumbags!
Same will happen with EU referendum, a few scare stories fom the press & the main political parties & the cowards will obey. Scumbags!
I hope i'm wrong, but i haven't been yet.

Quote:
The EU immigration issue tends to be taken out of context and non-EU immigration - over which the UK has full control - remains greater than EU immigration. For example, in 2013, 14% of people migrating to the UK were British nationals, 38% were nationals of other EU countries, and 47% were nationals of non-EU countries. The numbers for 2001 - 2013 confirm this pattern.

In addition, we have to consider the number of Brits moving to other EU countries - e.g. Spain. The migration issue is by no means one way.
Very true National Grid, for example, hire more staff from India to work in the UK than from the EU.
Also it is not a fair comparrison with Brit's moving to Spain, the Brit's that move are generally retired & bring money in. Can't really say they are lowering the wages of the locals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:49 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
Big business does & puts pressure on what ever government has control to make sure they keep coming.

People are cowards! Look at the Scotland yes or no campaign. All the main parties had to say was that you will lose money, so even people that wanted yes, voted no. Look at the general election results a few month later, when there was no risk they all voted the same, scumbags!
Same will happen with EU referendum, a few scare stories fom the press & the main political parties & the cowards will obey. Scumbags!
I hope i'm wrong, but i haven't been yet.

Very true National Grid, for example, hire more staff from India to work in the UK than from the EU.
Also it is not a fair comparrison with Brit's moving to Spain, the Brit's that move are generally retired & bring money in. Can't really say they are lowering the wages of the locals

Instead of scumbags, how about sheep, because that's how most people behave when it comes to politicians deliberately distorting reality in order to confuse people and persuade them to vote a certain way. People should educate themselves on the benefits of leaving the EU and then vote that way.

Yes, I know, easier said than done.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
On debates about the EU it seems the majority of the general public haven't got a clue on what the EU does other than the free labour movement. Its ridiculous that people want to exist the EU solely on the basis of immigration.

I don't know to much of the working of the EU like most people because of this I'm indifferent to the idea of EU membership I'm inclined to believe the EU greatly benefits the UK economy and our standing in the world as apart of one of the wealthiest and successful international organisations in the world.

I feel moving out of the union will cause problems that as of now we are not aware of, the general public needs unbiased information about the EU.

Look at the main party that advocates UK ''independence'' - the United Kingdom Independence Party the amount of unprofessional racist, sexist, homophobic and just stupid comments that come from the MPs should be enough for people to say ''Hmm this sounds fishy'' but no, people are stupid and don't think for themselves.

Also English dan mentioned something about immigration and housing. The reason there's not enough cheap and affordable houses for British citizens is because of the lack of house building over the years. Immigrants are not flooding into the Country in droves taking up flats and Houses that's ridiculous.

He mentioned that if ''we build more houses it will cause more immigrants to come'' really?

Stop blaming immigrants blame the government those are the ones in power.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Instead of scumbags, how about sheep, because that's how most people behave when it comes to politicians deliberately distorting reality in order to confuse people and persuade them to vote a certain way. People should educate themselves on the benefits of leaving the EU and then vote that way.

Yes, I know, easier said than done.
Our Prime Minister will make a big deal out of any talks of our EU membership in Europe. I have no doubt they'll throw him a bone to bring back to the electorate. He'll return like Chamberlain from Munich waving a piece of paper. "We've won" he'll say. Then he'll recommend we vote to remain in the EU. What follows will be an attempt to scare the UK population into voting to remain EU members. I can see the Daily Mirror headline now.......'2 million jobs will be lost if we leave the EU........' Lots of that kind of thing. I sure hope the people don't fall for it. I predicted here in c-d the Scots would vote to remain part of the union. I predict here we will leave the EU. The only thing that will prevent that, is Cameron coming back saying he has regained control of our borders. I can't see that happening.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
What? The tabloid newspapers are anti-EU they will never say vote to stay in the EU!

''Thousands of EU immigrants set for British shores...vote OUT!'' More like it.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
On debates about the EU it seems the majority of the general public haven't got a clue on what the EU does other than the free labour movement. Its ridiculous that people want to exist the EU solely on the basis of immigration.

I don't know to much of the working of the EU like most people because of this I'm indifferent to the idea of EU membership I'm inclined to believe the EU greatly benefits the UK economy and our standing in the world as apart of one of the wealthiest and successful international organisations in the world.

I feel moving out of the union will cause problems that as of now we are not aware of, the general public needs unbiased information about the EU.

Look at the main party that advocates UK ''independence'' - the United Kingdom Independence Party the amount of unprofessional racist, sexist, homophobic and just stupid comments that come from the MPs should be enough for people to say ''Hmm this sounds fishy'' but no, people are stupid and don't think for themselves.

Also English dan mentioned something about immigration and housing. The reason there's not enough cheap and affordable houses for British citizens is because of the lack of house building over the years. Immigrants are not flooding into the Country in droves taking up flats and Houses that's ridiculous.

He mentioned that if ''we build more houses it will cause more immigrants to come'' really?

P - Last year alone, almost 300,000 immigrants arrived in the UK. Say that slow......... this follows many more years of high immigration. So, if they're not 'flooding into the country in droves taking up flats and houses' where are they living? Add that to the demand for housing of people already here. What are we supposed to do? How can we build quickly enough for such demand annually?

Do you believe present levels of immigration can carry on? This is not America. A vast land with less than six times the UK population. We can't carry on like this. If we do, there will be serious disturbance down the line. You as a young man, with your life in front of you should be concerned. I'm an old guy sitting comfortable in my 1930s semi, going abroad on holiday six times a year. I've had mine. I want you to have yours. My concerns are not for me....... they are for the young people struggling out there.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What? The tabloid newspapers are anti-EU they will never say vote to stay in the EU!

''Thousands of EU immigrants set for British shores...vote OUT!'' More like it.
Not all of them P. Wait and see.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:44 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I think we need a referendum as the British public has never had a vote to enter the European Union, and the sooner the referendum the better as markets and businesses don't like uncertainty. Personally however, I now think as long as our government can ensure that we get all our powers to make British laws back, and reform the EU so that migration means people are going to countries to work within the EU and nothing more, then we must stay in. The truth is that staying in the EU will keep Britain's economy strong! I believe that the British public feel this way to, and therefore we will end up staying in the EU anyway, through the voting system. Then our economy can continue to improve while the Conservatives are in power!

Another reason why I have changed my mind to stay in the EU, is because it is easier to go on holidays around the continent than it is outside of the continent. So rather than closing ourselves from the EU, we should be able to get some sun without to much bureaucracy!
Its really not to be honest.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:

I disagree, again you don't like our view so you come out and say that we don't know what we are talking about. Nonsense.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Our Prime Minister will make a big deal out of any talks of our EU membership in Europe. I have no doubt they'll throw him a bone to bring back to the electorate. He'll return like Chamberlain from Munich waving a piece of paper. "We've won" he'll say. Then he'll recommend we vote to remain in the EU. What follows will be an attempt to scare the UK population into voting to remain EU members. I can see the Daily Mirror headline now.......'2 million jobs will be lost if we leave the EU........' Lots of that kind of thing. I sure hope the people don't fall for it. I predicted here in c-d the Scots would vote to remain part of the union. I predict here we will leave the EU. The only thing that will prevent that, is Cameron coming back saying he has regained control of our borders. I can't see that happening.
You are right! I said this a few pages back, he will give us the vote and then try and entice us to stay in! Just like the Irish government did with their people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom