Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Doesn't that already happen? The other day I was listening to a debate for leaving the EU and they made good points but so did the guy for staying in the EU. We need more information to make a informed decision many people out there *think* they know all the information but they don't.

I can see a scenario where many businesses move their offices to Ireland...
We went through this in 1975. Once the facts start getting out there, the electorate will vote their economic interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Watch the Germans.
History shows they've been powerful twice in the last century.And each time we've had to give them a slap.
I don't trust them as far as I can spit.
You appease the Krauts at your peril.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:52 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Watch the Germans.
History shows they've been powerful twice in the last century.And each time we've had to give them a slap.
I don't trust them as far as I can spit.
You appease the Krauts at your peril.

What??!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
What??!
What I ought to have said is that the EU is really designed to benefit Germany more than any other country in Europe.
Even at the expense of countries such as Greece.
Also what started out as a simple trade co-operation organisation has now grown into an unelected,all-powerful behemoth that controls the lives of ordinary citizens of the UK.
Whatever benefits of remaining in the EU - and I doubt the UK couldn't achieve those out of it - are far outweighed by relinquishing our sovereignty to Brussels.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:36 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
What I ought to have said is that the EU is really designed to benefit Germany more than any other country in Europe.
Even at the expense of countries such as Greece.
Also what started out as a simple trade co-operation organisation has now grown into an unelected,all-powerful behemoth that controls the lives of ordinary citizens of the UK.
Whatever benefits of remaining in the EU - and I doubt the UK couldn't achieve those out of it - are far outweighed by relinquishing our sovereignty to Brussels.

Total nonsense. That's about all I have to say to that.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Total nonsense. That's about all I have to say to that.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:13 AM

There are a number of issues with the EU. The main one is probably the 'democratic deficit' whereby the EU seems to be able to make decisions over which national parliaments and governments have little control. They also seem to be able to override decisions made by governments and parliaments. You only have to see how the TTIP negotiations have been conducted to see a 'black hole' of a 'democratic deficit'.

Economically, the EU is very much driven by Germany. Countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium and Austria are essentially economic satellites of Germany. Politically, it is driven by France who are happy to let Germany take the economic spoils while they get the political ones. The UK should have been an effective counterweight to the Franco-German axis but successive governments have failed abjectly in this.

The main economic threat from the EU as it concerns the UK is to the financial services sector and designed to favour Frankfurt. Beyond that, the UK runs a large trade deficit with the rest of the EU so it is unlikely that, in the event of the UK withdrawing from the EU, that they would erect tariffs as this would be to their disadvantage.

The UK needs a government that has a clear focus on what it wants from the EU and the ability to get that or a clear vision of what life outside the EU would look like. And it needs politicians that understand the way the EU works and who are able to maneuver as adroitly as the European ones appear to be able to do.

Ultimately it comes down to which vision of the EU is preferred. Is it just a tariff free trading bloc, is it a stepping stone to a federal Europe or is it somewhere in between? At the moment, the EU is sleepwalking towards a Federal Europe and the closer it gets, the more difficult it becomes to derail it. But is this what most Europeans want?

Maybe the EU needs a UK in-out vote in order to focus minds across Europe on what they want the EU to become.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
During the last few years, people have commented online that the EU is beginning to resemble the Holy Roman Empire.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM

285 posts, read 301,566 times
I see the biggest reason british people want the UK to leave the EU (for those that want that at least) is immigration, but i don't understand how the hell so many immigrants manage to get into this country. The only reason i could freely move here is because i have double citizenship from another EU country.
My friend from Brazil who wants to move here for studying is having a lot of trouble with getting a visa to the point he said it's almost impossible to move to england legally if you're from outside the EU.

So my question is, how come all those pakistanis, africans, south asians manage to get here and stay? Are they all illegal? Do they get any special treatment from the government? And if so, why?

Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
I see the biggest reason british people want the UK to leave the EU (for those that want that at least) is immigration, but i don't understand how the hell so many immigrants manage to get into this country. The only reason i could freely move here is because i have double citizenship from another EU country.
My friend from Brazil who wants to move here for studying is having a lot of trouble with getting a visa to the point he said it's almost impossible to move to england legally if you're from outside the EU.

So my question is, how come all those pakistanis, africans, south asians manage to get here and stay? Are they all illegal? Do they get any special treatment from the government? And if so, why?
In 2013, 38% (201k) of immigrants to the UK were from the EU. 47% (348k) were from outside the EU and the balance were British citizens returning to the UK (76k). At the same time, 134k British citizens emigrated from the UK many to the EU. Based on these numbers, 63% of non-UK immigrants are not from the EU and fully under the control of the British Govt.. This suggests that the immigration issue is a policy decision by government and not a result of being a member of the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom