Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:27 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,058 times

Advertisements

My American wife has live here in London for sixteen years and, if anything, finds people are fascinated by her and she makes friends very easily. In fact I can only remember one time she faced any kind of hostility which was from a very drunk guy on a bus who tried to blame her for US foreign policy. She just rolled her eyes and told him where to go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You'll be fine if you go in with an open mind.
You also need to develop a thicker skin and an ability to recognise banter as opposed to abuse.
Taking the **** out of someone is almost an expression of endearment in the UK and Americans sometimes take a while to acclimatise to it.
Americans like to generalise that Brits have bad teeth,don't wash very often and have poor cuisine.
So don't be surprised if Brits generalise about fat,stupid Yanks who say awesome and high-five each other every other sentence.
Great post

Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,845,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Used to be that a lot of them wanted to leave England and some even wanted to come here--I think I straightened a few out on that count. To me, the USA sucks in many ways. This last trip, people seemed more prosperous (just my impression and it could be naive) and content. But some still believe that they should live in Las Vegas or Miami or some other place that is touristy and not the normal type of place Americans live. They believe what they see on tv.
I've come across this in the past, too. But now, it seems the Brits are more aware that if they WERE to emigrate to the US/Canada, they'd be getting far less vacation time than they're used to by living in the UK/Europe. I've met Brits who will immediately ask if it's true that 2 weeks of vacation time is the standard in "America." When we tell them "yes," they look dumbfounded.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:00 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
If English people didn't like Americans, why would I have met some in my small town today?

Old 09-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If English people didn't like Americans, why would I have met some in my small town today?
From personal experience we DO like the americans

Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
I would have a nervous breakdown if I only had two weeks holiday. My holidays away are at least 3 weeks, they have been known to go as long as 6 weeks!

I need family time alongside that, 2 weeks is an abomination.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I've come across this in the past, too. But now, it seems the Brits are more aware that if they WERE to emigrate to the US/Canada, they'd be getting far less vacation time than they're used to by living in the UK/Europe. I've met Brits who will immediately ask if it's true that 2 weeks of vacation time is the standard in "America." When we tell them "yes," they look dumbfounded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I would have a nervous breakdown if I only had two weeks holiday. My holidays away are at least 3 weeks, they have been known to go as long as 6 weeks!

Ouch I like at least 2 months off a year

Old 09-24-2015, 04:57 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,819,236 times
I would never live in the US/Canada, purely because of the lack of leave.
I currently get 30 days paid leave, plus 8 bank holidays, and I get every other Friday off too. I essentially get 60+ days paid leave.

I'd still like more time off too!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:09 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I would never live in the US/Canada, purely because of the lack of leave.
I currently get 30 days paid leave, plus 8 bank holidays, and I get every other Friday off too. I essentially get 60+ days paid leave.

I'd still like more time off too!

That is a lot even for the UK. The US is terrible for time off - the average is 3 weeks but it is changing. I work for a company where we can take whatever off so long as we get our work done, plus the work environment is a little more chilled than the companies I worked for in the UK. I'll probably take 25 days this year plus Christmas and thanksgiving.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

You are a student! You have about 12 weeks of holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom