Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

I worked in the USA and got 4 weeks paid vacation plus public holidays Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM

63 posts, read 61,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If English people didn't like Americans, why would I have met some in my small town today?
That's just your experience. For my first time in my 17 years I saw Brits in America while I was vacationing in Georgia.

And I'm dumbfounded by the amount of days people get off in Europe. All the more reason to go now!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:49 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
More time off when I lived in England was great, but at the same time, our cost of living is much lower here than it was in England, so we can afford a much more. In England, we could only afford a small, one bedroom apartment with one parking space. Now we have a 4 bedroom, 3 story house with a 2 car garage.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You are a student! You have about 12 weeks of holiday.
I actually have 20 weeks lol.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I worked in the USA and got 4 weeks paid vacation plus public holidays Just saying
My vacations went (weeks means 5 paid days)

First year 2 weeks, 5 paid floating days (in lieu of public holidays) and Christmas, Independence day, Thanksgiving and Friday following, New Years Day, company days off. 2 weeks paid sick leave. Could carry over 2 weeks of unused vacation (but not sick or floating days) per year.

Second year to forth year, 4 weeks vacation everything else the same

Fourth year six weeks vacation, can carry over 4 weeks vacation, everything else the same

10th year (although I never got there) company sponsored 3 month sabbatical (once per employment decade), 8 weeks vacation, 6 weeks carry over.

In practice the first year tended to amount to 5 weeks vacation (because everyone just used sick days as extra vacay and the 5 floating days).

One big advantage of the paid sick days was for emergencies and dilligaf days. I remember calling my manager one morning and stating mental health day, he said OK, I had my 2 weeks sick did I want to take another one tomorrow.

My personal experience was that the first year I took one week vacation, the second year through forth I was kind of forced to take 3 weeks of personal vacation (so 4 weeks overall), after that I think everyone was just carrying over the maximum in vacation days, so everyone was taking at least 6 weeks a year.

That said like Mag we were rated by results not effort. There were weeks where I turned up for 2 hour days or not at all, and others where I needed to put in the time. I liked it far more than the UK system, for all the stated starting 2 weeks vacation.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Ouch I like at least 2 months off a year
Ya might wanna reconsider moving to Texas, then, cowboy. You ain't gonna get 2 months off there!

It's a whole different life over here.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 09-24-2015 at 08:05 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Yes, some lucky people get 3 weeks vacation after starting a new job, but few start with more than that (I got 6 weeks off when I lived in Michigan, but that's because I worked at a community college).

Most people in Canada and the US get 2 weeks off when they begin a new job, and they gradually earn more the longer they stay at one job. I'm at 3 weeks now, but that's after almost 3 years at my current job.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
My vacations went (weeks means 5 paid days)

First year 2 weeks, 5 paid floating days (in lieu of public holidays) and Christmas, Independence day, Thanksgiving and Friday following, New Years Day, company days off. 2 weeks paid sick leave. Could carry over 2 weeks of unused vacation (but not sick or floating days) per year.

Second year to forth year, 4 weeks vacation everything else the same

Fourth year six weeks vacation, can carry over 4 weeks vacation, everything else the same

10th year (although I never got there) company sponsored 3 month sabbatical (once per employment decade), 8 weeks vacation, 6 weeks carry over.

In practice the first year tended to amount to 5 weeks vacation (because everyone just used sick days as extra vacay and the 5 floating days).

One big advantage of the paid sick days was for emergencies and dilligaf days. I remember calling my manager one morning and stating mental health day, he said OK, I had my 2 weeks sick did I want to take another one tomorrow.

My personal experience was that the first year I took one week vacation, the second year through forth I was kind of forced to take 3 weeks of personal vacation (so 4 weeks overall), after that I think everyone was just carrying over the maximum in vacation days, so everyone was taking at least 6 weeks a year.

That said like Mag we were rated by results not effort. There were weeks where I turned up for 2 hour days or not at all, and others where I needed to put in the time. I liked it far more than the UK system, for all the stated starting 2 weeks vacation.

I don't have a bank of time at all. If my boss is ok with it then I take it, and she has never ever said no to anything. I am off for 8 days in a couple weeks, 2 days of for Thanksgiving then I have some odd days here and there before Christmas. Last year I went to Australia for a wedding and my work didn't even hesitate to give me the time.

I used to get 5 weeks vacation in the UK but I had to take a whole week at a time. My situation is certainly not the norm in the US but I much prefer my current vacation situation. Plus, I live so close to California, Utah and Arizona that i don't feel the pressure to "get away" like I did in the UK. If I take a 3 day weekend at home in Vegas the weather is usually awesome and I can hang out at the pool, hike at the mountains or head to the lake.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
My wife works for a teachers union. I have no idea how much vacation she is entitled to, but in the fifteen years we've been together she's probably taken a total of about eight weeks. Her bosses are constantly asking her to take time off, but she refuses to do. By European standards a significant number of Americans could care less about vacation. Not uncommon to see elderly people refusing to retire.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've been to England several times and just returned from three weeks there. Usually I have stayed in one town and got to know the people. I was impressed with their kindness and attentiveness. They're fun too, not as dour as many Americans seem to be, people who take themselves too seriously.

Used to be that a lot of them wanted to leave England and some even wanted to come here--I think I straightened a few out on that count. To me, the USA sucks in many ways. This last trip, people seemed more prosperous (just my impression and it could be naive) and content. But some still believe that they should live in Las Vegas or Miami or some other place that is touristy and not the normal type of place Americans live. They believe what they see on tv.

The one comment that I encountered on this recent trip was from someone who said, "When I learned we would be meeting two Americans I expected two fat people." Well, having returned to the US and looked around me, I can see why. I would love to live in England. It's beautiful, the food is good, the people are great, the climate is mild--especially the summers which are glorious compared to what Americans are stuck with.
Well, that's pretty ironic, considering that the Brits are no slim group of people themselves. They're catching up with us quickly, with an obesity rate of 27 percent (the US has an obesity rate of 33 percent). Both countries are in the top 25% in the world when it comes to obesity rates.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2228rank.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom