Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 12:39 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,154 times

Advertisements

Having spent almost half my life on either side of the Atlantic, first in Europe, I think......on the average.......the US has a higher "standard of living", as in more stuff, like cars, fridges etc. can be bought with fewer weeks after tax income, but "quality of life" is a different and much more debatable question.
That said, I spent 18 weeks in Europe, over three six week trips for family reasons in 2013. At the end I was glad to get back to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:44 PM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Having spent almost half my life on either side of the Atlantic, first in Europe, I think......on the average.......the US has a higher "standard of living", as in more stuff, like cars, fridges etc. can be bought with fewer weeks after tax income, but "quality of life" is a different and much more debatable question.
That said, I spent 18 weeks in Europe, over three six week trips for family reasons in 2013. At the end I was glad to get back to the US.
Good answer.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
I'm interested in working in England when I'm older and perhaps even living there.
bad plan. As an American it is extremely difficult to get a uk work permit. And the older you get, the lower your chances become.

Quote:
However, the one thing that's a real turn off to me is the English's attitudes towards Americans or people of American descent. I've encountered really snarky, bitter responses to my nationality and others of the same descent as well. And online it's even worse; a lot of the comments I've seen here come across as disparaging and sometimes even hostile in the manner that some English talk to with Americans.
you're going to encounter this sort of thing everywhere. Britain isn't unusual in this way.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:18 AM

514 posts, read 471,134 times
Quote:
I'm interested in working in England when I'm older and perhaps even living there. However, the one thing that's a real turn off to me is the English's attitudes towards Americans or people of American descent. I've encountered really snarky, bitter responses to my nationality and others of the same descent as well. And online it's even worse; a lot of the comments I've seen here come across as disparaging and sometimes even hostile in the manner that some English talk to with Americans. I'm aware that Americans are stereotyped as being annoyingly jingoistic (which I agree with) and other stereotypes like being fat, lazy, stupid, etc. But I still see these types of comments directed towards Americans that don't even showcase these qualities. It's like I can't really catch a break with them. Now, I know not all English people are like this, but from my experience they've been an overwhelming majority and the tolerant/nice (towards Americans) to be an extreme minority. This is a concern for me because I'm worried that when (or rather if) I ever do pursue this and I go, that I won't be able to mingle in. Now granted I'm of course not one of these stereotypical Americans where I'm stuck in my ways. I don't have a problem adapting to my environment. Hell, I'm actually already doing it here (spelling things in the English way, like -ize -> -ise. It makes more sense phonetically)
I think you've just been unfortunate enough to mix with the wrong people. Comments like this, among Britons, are usually meant either lightheartedly or as part of an impersonal political commentary, rarely in a serious way. The Irish may be a different matter though.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 PM

134 posts, read 162,411 times
Quote:
I'm interested in working in England when I'm older and perhaps even living there. However, the one thing that's a real turn off to me is the English's attitudes towards Americans or people of American descent. I've encountered really snarky, bitter responses to my nationality and others of the same descent as well. And online it's even worse; a lot of the comments I've seen here come across as disparaging and sometimes even hostile in the manner that some English talk to with Americans. I'm aware that Americans are stereotyped as being annoyingly jingoistic (which I agree with) and other stereotypes like being fat, lazy, stupid, etc. But I still see these types of comments directed towards Americans that don't even showcase these qualities. It's like I can't really catch a break with them. Now, I know not all English people are like this, but from my experience they've been an overwhelming majority and the tolerant/nice (towards Americans) to be an extreme minority. This is a concern for me because I'm worried that when (or rather if) I ever do pursue this and I go, that I won't be able to mingle in. Now granted I'm of course not one of these stereotypical Americans where I'm stuck in my ways. I don't have a problem adapting to my environment. Hell, I'm actually already doing it here (spelling things in the English way, like -ize -> -ise. It makes more sense phonetically)
Why do Americans think people always care they're Americans?

most people could care less about the fact you're American. People have their heads busy with other stuff and seeing an American is as irrelevant as seeing people from any other country.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post

most people could care less about the fact you're American. People have their heads busy with other stuff and seeing an American is as irrelevant as seeing people from any other country.
Some of it might stem from paranoia or an overwrought sense of importance.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Some of it might stem from paranoia or an overwrought sense of importance.
I think many Americans are sensitive to having been criticized for being obnoxious tourists--sort of like many of the Brits are negatively regarded in Spain. There was even a book written a long time ago called The Ugly American that described the behavior of some Americans when they travel.

We are supposedly loud, brash, pushy, braggarts, and now there is the added negative attribute of obesity.

Those of us who do not fit into those categories can feel embarrassed to be Americans.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:

Surely you mean 'couldn't' care less??

Old 11-16-2015, 12:30 PM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Surely you mean 'couldn't' care less??
It's an example of the differences between the two nations. That's how they say it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,819,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
I'm talking about aggregates. Poor are a scant minority in the US, and even a poor AM family that lives in a section 8 houring lives in much better conditions than poor british living on council homes.

Not a problem of poverty, wrong, rather moral squalor. I believe that even Alabama is far richer.

I repeat, British manage very well their scarce resources and population is relatively very homogeneous.
Wow. A fine example of a person who has no idea what they're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom