Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 AM

212 posts, read 209,029 times

Advertisements

The standard of living in the US is far, far higher, but the UK is a more cohesive country and a European country in which most people are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
The standard of living in the US is far, far higher, but the UK is a more cohesive country and a European country in which most people are the same.
I don't think this is particularly true either!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
The US in the 50s had a much higher standard of living than us , we were poor after the war..and always looked up the US and how they lived..but now I think the poorer here get more help than over in America...

Old 10-28-2015, 07:04 AM

112 posts, read 112,134 times
Depends on someones definition of Standard of living. I have a new Car, bigger house, nice Telly here in the States. am i any happier in my day today living as when i lived in a two up two down driving a second hand car? Not really. Do i get envious of my friends and family telling me what third Holiday they are going on this year? Yep! Am i sick to death of meeting people over here when they give me a ten minute pre planned speech of their work credentials and what material things they own and how much they make? Bloody right!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
My cousin went to the States in the 50s with his new wife.. When he came back on holiday a few years later he bragged constantyl about his house his cars, his garden and his job.... and I felt he looked down on us and what we didnt have... maybe it was just him but I felt he took on a new personna after he moved... My mum said that all his eggs had two yolks after he moved there hahaha...

Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think this is particularly true either!

It really depends on what is important to you. Both countries have unacceptably high levels of inequality (something I think is the new norm, and something that no public policy is going to "fix"), but in my experience the material standard of living is still much higher in the US. In my experience, the average person can still afford a home, car etc and more space than I was ever used to in the UK (and I had a decent household income level in the UK).

But, it really depends on the individual. I am lucky in that my company is great about time off so I can drive out to some really cool places nearby. Most people here (the southwestern part of the US) enjoy their weekends due to the weather, and most vacation in California or Hawaii.

Last edited by Mag3.14; 10-28-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 AM

I have lived in both countries.

The standard of living in the US is far higher in any respect, but the UK knowns how to take advantage of their scarce resources much better.

There's much social cohesiviness, far more homogeneous population, not so much waste. With the resources employed by ten American families, 50 British families could live comfortably.

The American Welfare, being as massive as British, is not as well targeted and structured due to waste, and pilfering to professional "disadvantaged groups". Health welfare per inhabitants is larger that in the UK, but the money is pilfered and "get losts" in insurance and medical rackets.

The standard of living of your typical middle class American family is two or three times superior in any sense.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:06 PM

112 posts, read 112,134 times
I, am not being obtuse but how do you reckon that middle class (in the UK working class) American families standard of living is two or three more times superior? I have lived in both countries as well.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Quote:
The standard of living in the US is far, far higher ...
Smug - and exaggerated - it depends on who you're talking about - take a look around America's inner cities you'll find a ready redress to the six chickens in every garage.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 AM

I'm talking about aggregates. Poor are a scant minority in the US, and even a poor AM family that lives in a section 8 houring lives in much better conditions than poor british living on council homes.

Not a problem of poverty, wrong, rather moral squalor. I believe that even Alabama is far richer.

I repeat, British manage very well their scarce resources and population is relatively very homogeneous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom