Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Look, if you want to point out the grammatical fallacies in everyday terms from around the world we would be here all day. If you focus on it then yes, it doesn't make sense - but it really doesn't matter. I have also pointed out some things that don't make sense from our culture and you have not gotten (tongue in cheek (what does that even mean??) the point - because you are inconsistent and illogical in your criticism of what you saw as an easy way to point out the wrongs of Americans in this instance. Would you like a whole list of bizarre statements from our country, or are you capable of getting this point?
I really don't care what you think to be honest, 'are you capable of getting this point'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 PM

927 posts, read 759,455 times
We asked and the #1 is Americans have guns, and its because of our wild wild west culture.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
We asked and the #1 is Americans have guns, and its because of our wild wild west culture.
You mean you asked the English what their attitudes are? They said GUNS? and a wild wild west culture?

If so, those English people have been watching waaay too much American tv and movies. Most of us have never even seen a gun. Never saw a cowboy either (if they still exist.) Interesting comment by some English people though, interesting to know that stereotype is out there.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You mean you asked the English what their attitudes are? They said GUNS? and a wild wild west culture?

If so, those English people have been watching waaay too much American tv and movies. Most of us have never even seen a gun. Never saw a cowboy either (if they still exist.) Interesting comment by some English people though, interesting to know that stereotype is out there.
Your post reminds me of something that really happened to my husband and me.

My husband is a native Texan, and he looks the part. I mean, when we started dating, I jokingly told him that I feel like I'm dating the Marlboro Man, and I meant it. He LOOKS like a cowboy - and no, he doesn't usually dress like one, he just looks like one. He's worked in the oilfield for decades, and has a ruggedly handsome face with chiseled features, and a mustache. He usually wears Wranglers (in cooler weather - in warm weather he's perpetually in shorts!), and when he wears Wranglers, he also wears cowboy boots. Not flashy ones, nothing with high heels and fancy stitching, just utilitarian cowboy boots.

Anyway, he also has several leather jackets. This is an important point - LOL.

So - we were in Fort Worth one day, down on Sundance Square downtown. I don't remember what we were doing there, but we weren't being touristy - I think we were meeting friends or something. Anyway, we wandered into a store and there was a guy there with a shoe shine chair, so my husband decided to get his boots shined. The chair happened to be in front of a big picture window facing the street.

Gradually, I noticed a crowd gathering - a crowd of Japanese tourists. They were staring at him. Finally they came in and stood around behind me and were staring and talking excitedly, and finally one of them said to me in halting English, "Can we take picture of cowboy, please?"

I like to have died laughing. They thought they were taking a picture of a "real" Texas cowboy. And I guess to them - they were!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:12 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Your post reminds me of something that really happened to my husband and me.

My husband is a native Texan, and he looks the part. I mean, when we started dating, I jokingly told him that I feel like I'm dating the Marlboro Man, and I meant it. He LOOKS like a cowboy - and no, he doesn't usually dress like one, he just looks like one. He's worked in the oilfield for decades, and has a ruggedly handsome face with chiseled features, and a mustache. He usually wears Wranglers (in cooler weather - in warm weather he's perpetually in shorts!), and when he wears Wranglers, he also wears cowboy boots. Not flashy ones, nothing with high heels and fancy stitching, just utilitarian cowboy boots.

Anyway, he also has several leather jackets. This is an important point - LOL.

So - we were in Fort Worth one day, down on Sundance Square downtown. I don't remember what we were doing there, but we weren't being touristy - I think we were meeting friends or something. Anyway, we wandered into a store and there was a guy there with a shoe shine chair, so my husband decided to get his boots shined. The chair happened to be in front of a big picture window facing the street.

Gradually, I noticed a crowd gathering - a crowd of Japanese tourists. They were staring at him. Finally they came in and stood around behind me and were staring and talking excitedly, and finally one of them said to me in halting English, "Can we take picture of cowboy, please?"

I like to have died laughing. They thought they were taking a picture of a "real" Texas cowboy. And I guess to them - they were!
Lol made me laugh Kathryn

tell you what would be funny......... A Texan taking a picture of a London cowboy

Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

tell you what would be funny......... A Texan taking a picture of a London cowboy
Now THERE'S a funny mental image!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

hahahah funny Kathryn you just reminded me of the time my hubby and I were in a castle at Balloch in Scotland. when he was stung badly by wasps on his neck... while I was looking at the sting bites, two Japanese tourists joined in taking photos of his neck... I dont know to this day if they thought we were part of some kind of re enactment at the Castle or not..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahahah funny Kathryn you just reminded me of the time my hubby and I were in a castle at Balloch in Scotland. when he was stung badly by wasps on his neck... while I was looking at the sting bites, two Japanese tourists joined in taking photos of his neck... I dont know to this day if they thought we were part of some kind of re enactment at the Castle or not..
Them Japanese be's crazy.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Look, if you want to point out the grammatical fallacies in everyday terms from around the world we would be here all day. If you focus on it then yes, it doesn't make sense - but it really doesn't matter. I have also pointed out some things that don't make sense from our culture and you have not gotten (tongue in cheek (what does that even mean??) the point - because you are inconsistent and illogical in your criticism of what you saw as an easy way to point out the wrongs of Americans in this instance. Would you like a whole list of bizarre statements from our country, or are you capable of getting this point?
You know what they say: Two Countries divided by a common language.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,444,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Why do Americans think people always care they're Americans?

most people could care less about the fact you're American. People have their heads busy with other stuff and seeing an American is as irrelevant as seeing people from any other country.
Not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom