Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
I don't know really because I have seen alot of loud Americans who talk a lot louder than the English. I suppose it isn't fair to stereotype them all to be loud - let's say alot of Americans are loud.

Where I live now there are alot of American students and they make it clear who they are. The first thing they do that British people don't do is talk loudly in the queue - that draws massive attention to them. The next thing they do is talk loud on public transport when everyone else is quiet.

I am not quite sure why they haven't yet caught onto our cultural norms. You would think if everyone in the queue was being quiet that you'd shut up.

I grew up surrounded by Brits, so I don't know what you're talking about when you refer to "our cultural norms."

Are there quiet, reserved Brits? Yes, there are, just as there are quiet, reserved Americans. But I KNOW there are plenty of loud, boisterous, obnoxious Brits. Especially after a night of (heavy) drinking. And I hate to have to tell you this, but Brits' reputation precedes them when it comes to alcohol consumption. What, you've never heard of soccer hooliganism by Brits, either in the UK or abroad? Really?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 12-16-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 11:08 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I grew up surrounded by Brits, so I don't know what you're talking about when you refer to "our cultural norms."

Are there quiet, reserved Brits? Yes, there are, just as there are quiet, reserved Americans. But I KNOW there are PLENTY of loud, boisterous, obnoxious Brits. Especially after a night of (heavy) drinking. And I hate to have to tell you this, but Brits' reputation precedes them when it comes to alcohol consumption. What, you've never heard of soccer hooliganism by Brits, either in the UK or abroad? Really?
Hmm.. I once had a job in America and I shared a house with other British and Irish students. It was actually the American workers that used to come over our house in the evenings to try to get us to booze with them. I was quite scared of American guys actually - they were quite loud and very forward.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Hmm.. I once had a job in America and I shared a house with other British and Irish students. It was actually the American workers that used to come over our house in the evenings to try to get us to booze with them. I was quite scared of American guys actually - they were quite loud and very forward.

So, how many Americans would we be talking about, here? Do you know many Americans beyond those you knew during that time?

Not only do I have lots of British family, but I've lived in communities with very large British immigrant populations. Please; there are lots of loud Brits.

Honestly, this thread proves that there is as much ignorance among Brits regarding Americans/American culture as there is among Americans regarding the Brits/British culture.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:25 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyogul View Post
I'm interested in working in England when I'm older and perhaps even living there. However, the one thing that's a real turn off to me is the English's attitudes towards Americans or people of American descent. I've encountered really snarky, bitter responses to my nationality and others of the same descent as well. And online it's even worse; a lot of the comments I've seen here come across as disparaging and sometimes even hostile in the manner that some English talk to with Americans. I'm aware that Americans are stereotyped as being annoyingly jingoistic (which I agree with) and other stereotypes like being fat, lazy, stupid, etc. But I still see these types of comments directed towards Americans that don't even showcase these qualities. It's like I can't really catch a break with them. Now, I know not all English people are like this, but from my experience they've been an overwhelming majority and the tolerant/nice (towards Americans) to be an extreme minority. This is a concern for me because I'm worried that when (or rather if) I ever do pursue this and I go, that I won't be able to mingle in. Now granted I'm of course not one of these stereotypical Americans where I'm stuck in my ways. I don't have a problem adapting to my environment. Hell, I'm actually already doing it here (spelling things in the English way, like -ize -> -ise. It makes more sense phonetically)
There are a lot of people who think that same thing gets said of Yankee Americans that move to the Anerican Deep South. Just replace the word "England" with the word "Southern", and replace the word "American" with the word "Yankee", and that's how it is

Old 12-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
So, how many Americans would we be talking about, here? Do you know many Americans beyond those you knew during that time?

Not only do I have lots of British family, but I've lived in communities with very large British immigrant populations. Please; there are lots of loud Brits.

Honestly, this thread proves that there is as much ignorance among Brits regarding Americans/American culture as there is among Americans regarding the Brits/British culture.
Well I travelled from the East Coast of America to the West Coast, and back around to the East Coast again on Amtrak afterwards. There were a few dodgy characters along the way (usually American men - all the Brits and Irish I met were fine). One weirdo tried to plonk himself next to me on the overnight train as I was trying to sleep. Luckily for me, he was moved on by one of the ticket men. Remember - I was a young girl, thousands of miles away from home.

Another time, an American guy said to me "Hey, do you want to shoot some pool?". I said "No". Now back home a British guy would reply back "Alright love" and move on. But this guy replied very sternly to me "Why not?!". Now, I am not used to this and I was very scared. All I could think of was that I was going to get murdered by a pool cue.

I was glad to get back home in the end, to some normal, polite British people.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well I travelled from the East Coast of America to the West Coast, and back around to the East Coast again on Amtrak afterwards. There were a few dodgy characters along the way (usually American men - all the Brits and Irish I met were fine). One weirdo tried to plonk himself next to me on the overnight train as I was trying to sleep. Luckily for me, he was moved on by one of the ticket men. Remember - I was a young girl, thousands of miles away from home.

Another time, an American guy said to me "Hey, do you want to shoot some pool?". I said "No". Now back home a British guy would reply back "Alright love" and move on. But this guy replied very sternly to me "Why not?!". Now, I am not used to this and I was very scared. All I could think of was that I was going to get murdered by a pool cue.

I was glad to get back home in the end, to some normal, polite British people.

Okay.

Well, I used my Nana's place in Scotland as my base while I travelled around the UK for a couple of months. I met a few dodgy characters, myself, but I didn't think anything of it. Good for a laugh, if anything.

Once, though, when my friend and I sat on a stone wall enjoying the peaceful evening not far from my grandmother's home, we watched as two drunken young women -- wearing stiletto heels they, in all likelihood, couldn't walk in when sober, let alone when wasted -- trudged along the railroad tracks, having a loud conversation. Every other word out of their mouths was "fu*k" or "fu*king." When they walked passed us, they turned around, unprovoked, and challenged us, repeatedly, to a fight. They would not back down. We were stunned; they, on the other hand, seemed to be quite used to looking for a rumble.

So, should I assume that all British women are like those two women? And can I ask you again about those "cultural norms" you talk about?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 12-16-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Okay.

Well, I used my Nana's place in Scotland as my base while I travelled around the UK for a couple of months. I met a few dodgy characters, myself, but I didn't think anything of it. Good for a laugh, if anything.

Once, though, when my friend and I sat on a stone wall enjoying the peaceful evening not far from my grandmother's home, we watched as two drunken young women -- wearing stiletto heels they, in all likelihood, couldn't walk in when sober, let alone when wasted -- trudged along the railroad tracks, having a loud conversation. Every other word out of their mouths was "fu*k" or "fu*king." When they walked passed us, they turned around, unprovoked, and challenged us, repeatedly, to a fight. They would not back down. We were stunned; they, on the other hand, seemed to be quite used to looking for a rumble.

So, should I assume that all British women are like those two women? And can I ask you again about those "cultural norms" you talk about?
Ok, it looks like both of our countries have their fair share of nutters! And no, not all British women are like that - well, I'm certainly not anyway! Most Brits are known for being overly-polite, well mannered and apologetic.

Another thing I noticed when I was working in my job in America, was that some people would come up to me and just demand "Gimme a <whatever>!". Again, I am not used to this and was wondering where their 'please and thankyous' were.

Right, I know I am painting a dire image of Americans here. Of course, this was not the whole story. A lot of Americans that I met were extremely nice and friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me, especially about the fact that I was Welsh/British.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:53 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Ok, it looks like both of our countries have their fair share of nutters! And no, not all British women are like that - well, I'm certainly not anyway! Most Brits are known for being overly-polite, well mannered and apologetic.

Another thing I noticed when I was working in my job in America, was that some people would come up to me and just demand "Gimme a <whatever>!". Again, I am not used to this and was wondering where their 'please and thankyous' were.

Right, I know I am painting a dire image of Americans here. Of course, this was not the whole story. A lot of Americans that I met were extremely nice and friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me, especially about the fact that I was Welsh/British.
Most people here say please, thank you, you're welcome.

Where on earth did you work? (So the rest of us can stay away, LOL)

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-16-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 03:44 PM

181 posts, read 155,618 times
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this at all!!! So far all of my experiences with Americans have suggested that they are very loud and boisterous.

They cannot handle it when people criticize their country!

Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this at all!!! So far all of my experiences with Americans have suggested that they are very loud and boisterous.

They cannot handle it when people criticize their country!
What is it you don't agree with? There are lots of posts on this thread.

Btw, I'm a (born and raised) Canadian-American who is a child of British immigrant parents. I criticize things about Canada and the US all the time. But making sweeping generalizations about 330 million people, many of whom are immigrants from all over the world, IS rather silly, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom