Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
You also don't see the same level of consistent wealth in the UK either.

As for time off - I've just spent a week in Hawaii and am now in San fran. I get just as much time off as I had at home in the UK, but now I can actually afford to enjoy it rather than paying through the nose for everything.

My question is why is seeing poverty such a concern to you? You're on vacation! You spend time on other threads ranting about how immigrants are such a drain, or that refugees are not your problem, or how the NHS is being strained... so why the false concern for poverty in another country?
Your always so nice to other posters Mag....Ive never seen the same type of poverty anywhere in Scotland that I saw in Kissimee, it was dire.. and Im telling the truth..., Yes I was on holiday and having a lovely time but saw a sign for an Indian reservation but boy did I get that wrong, very sad, all forgotten people..What I said had nothing to do with liking or not liking Americans. I have quite a few US friends, some on here that I am proud to know ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:03 AM

48 posts, read 36,485 times
Hmmm. I have to say i've never seen favela style housing in the United Kingdom. Yes, council estates exist but they're a far cry from the shacks that you find over there!

Old 10-24-2015, 11:05 AM

48 posts, read 36,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your always so nice to other posters Mag....Ive never seen the same type of poverty anywhere in Scotland that I saw in Kissimee, it was dire.. and Im telling the truth..., Yes I was on holiday and having a lovely time but saw a sign for an Indian reservation but boy did I get that wrong, very sad, all forgotten people..What I said had nothing to do with liking or not liking Americans. I have quite a few US friends, some on here that I am proud to know ..
Have to say I never seen anything like that in Central Florida.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:36 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takawaka View Post
If you are going to tourist areas you will not see that. Much of Florida is for tourists but get off the beaten path even in Florida and you will see the very poor. All over the US there are people living under bridges and sleeping in the streets. If you go to a tourist area, that's not where these people are. The US doesn't have the safety nets that the UK has.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:56 PM

18,529 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takawaka View Post
wish I wouldnt have too takawaka... for such a rich country it was sad and disappointing..but yes we were told not to go off the beaten path and did.. as I was really desperate to see a real resevation...

Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
I visited the UK once. I think it was in 1988, so I know things may have changed now. When I was there I met nothing but nice people, found that many of them wanted to talk about America as much as we wanted to talk about the UK. I wasn't there long, but I loved being there. The old places, the history and culture was just fascinating. Obviously we just don't have anything like it here in the US with our short few hundred years of history. The US and the UK have too much common history and culture to feel completely foreign to each other. It was different enough to feel like you were someplace else, but not "foreign" like visiting France. (France was a neat place too, just truly foreign IMO) I think the OP will have nothing to worry about unless he shows up as a walking stereotype of some kind. I hate hearing stories of Americans who make fools of themselves in other countries as we get enough bad press.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Has always been my dream to live in the US since a young girl... It seemed so much more vibrant, well it did in the movies.. the US had better music, films than us, and more money....I did visit twice and wasnt disappointed.. but while in Florida I was appalled at some real poverty that Id never seen before, shacks with no windows in parts of Kissimee, off the beaten track... never expected to see anything like that so it left me disappointed and sad.... All in all though I love over there and like the people.

I think its fair to say we have more poverty and social problems than the UK does.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I think its fair to say we have more poverty and social problems than the UK does.
Oh there is plenty of that in the UK too!

Old 10-27-2015, 07:11 AM

112 posts, read 112,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh there is plenty of that in the UK too!
Not like it is over here though, i have seen tumbling down shacks where kids live. I spent a day once helping my friend on his Food delivery route which opened my eyes to how "third world" the USA can be. I was shocked and i will never ever forget those kids and the conditions they had to live in for the rest of my life. The look on that little girls face when we gave her an ice cream still haunts me.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCB View Post
Not like it is over here though, i have seen tumbling down shacks where kids live. I spent a day once helping my friend on his Food delivery route which opened my eyes to how "third world" the USA can be. I was shocked and i will never ever forget those kids and the conditions they had to live in for the rest of my life. The look on that little girls face when we gave her an ice cream still haunts me.
I know there are issues there but there are also plenty of kids living in bloody awful conditions here too, I think 'generally' the standard of living for the people of the UK is higher than its ever been but the poorest of people are poorer than ever before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom