Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times

Advertisements

Despite its food and weather, Britain is beginning to topple America from its position as the most popular place for overseas students to study, according to a survey published today.

Britain is becoming the world's most popular destination for overseas students - Higher, Education - Independent.co.uk

also ...

While student enrolments from Asian countries such as China, Malaysia and Hong Kong have recently fallen, arrivals from the States continue to rise. Higher Education Statistics Agency figures show the number of Americans in UK higher education has consistently risen over the past six years, from 9,425 in the 2000-01 academic year to 14,755 in 2005-06. The number of Americans applying for full-time undergraduate places via Ucas has climbed by almost 300% over the past 10 years.

Joanne Christie on US residents studying in the UK | Guardian graduates | Guardian Unlimited (http://www.guardian.co.uk/graduate/story/0,,2212416,00.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Doesn't surprise me, I'm there for that reason. Alot of us from America see the U.K. as a great choice for many reasons-common language (although it does have its differences) and great for travel opportunities. Also, London is a world-class city that offers anything you could think just about (except for great weather) and is a 2 hour train ride away from Paris or Brussels.

And I disagree with you about the food. I personally like British food but the reality, in London at least, is that you can find Chinese, Indian, American, Thai, etc almost as easily as a pub.

I could see that going to America would have some advantages but if I was from somewhere else I wouldnt want to go to a country with such a backwards law in its drinking age. College students love to drink and since most study abroad students are under 21 they would have to do it illegally in the US. I would hope that wouldnt prevent anyone from visiting but if it was close between the US and somewhere else that might make the difference.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
And I disagree with you about the food. I personally like British food but the reality, in London at least, is that you can find Chinese, Indian, American, Thai, etc almost as easily as a pub.
Just out of curiosity, what is American food in London like? As for English food, I don't understand why most things seem to be called 'pudding', and most of these 'puddings' sound gross.

I have thought about doing grad school in the UK, but not too sure as of yet.

What is the process for admittance like. Anything similar to the US?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is American food in London like? As for English food, I don't understand why most things seem to be called 'pudding', and most of these 'puddings' sound gross.

American fast-food food in the UK is exactly the same as here - if you mean Mcdonalds, Wendys etc. Pizza Hut is MUCH better in the UK tho! You won't find a good chicken-fried steak there, but a decent Tex-Mex is possible and there are plenty of cheap and OK American-style burger places, but why try and find American food in another country....?

London is a top foodie destination with some of the best top restaurants in the world, and one of the biggest melting-pots of cuisines from around the globe. As a student you'll be eating cheap, authentic and delicious Indian, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Italian.... plus I hope some English pie, mash and gravy! And British pub food is great.

As for puddings, the Brits call all dessert 'pudding'. Real pudding is usually a baked sweet dish (like a sponge cake) with fruit and/or a sauce, served hot with custard or ice cream. Can be YUMMMMY - look up 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'. But most people don't eat that kind of thing everyday, it's too heavy. They also eat apple pie, friut crumble and cobbler - nothing weird!

However, I know nothing of the student admission system, sorry

Old 02-06-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
American fast-food food in the UK is exactly the same as here - if you mean Mcdonalds, Wendys etc. Pizza Hut is MUCH better in the UK tho! You won't find a good chicken-fried steak there, but a decent Tex-Mex is possible and there are plenty of cheap and OK American-style burger places, but why try and find American food in another country....?

London is a top foodie destination with some of the best top restaurants in the world, and one of the biggest melting-pots of cuisines from around the globe. As a student you'll be eating cheap, authentic and delicious Indian, Ethiopian, Moroccan, Italian.... plus I hope some English pie, mash and gravy! And British pub food is great.

As for puddings, the Brits call all dessert 'pudding'. Real pudding is usually a baked sweet dish (like a sponge cake) with fruit and/or a sauce, served hot with custard or ice cream. Can be YUMMMMY - look up 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'. But most people don't eat that kind of thing everyday, it's too heavy. They also eat apple pie, friut crumble and cobbler - nothing weird!

Oh yes, London is one of the top food destinations in the world right now. My only regret is that my budget won't allow me to eat out more than 3 or 4 meals a week.

I agree, I sure didnt come all the way to eat American food but occasionally, I admit, I do indulge myself. Oh, and there's american food besides fast food-they can be a bit more pricey than what you'll find in the states but there are chains like TGI Fridays, as well as steak houses. Hmm..I even passed by an "American style Italian food" restaurant! Why on earth would anyone eat there when there is authentic italian?!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the grad school admittance as I'm an undergrad. I know my school stateside does offer direct exchange programs to plenty of places but it didnt to London so I used a 3rd party provider: Academic Studies Abroad. Study Abroad Programs - Academic Studies Abroad I'm not sure if they work with Grad students though, but because I went thru them I didnt have to worry about being admitted into the British school.

I'll tell you though its a great city to be a student in. Most of the museums and such are free, and another great pastime-wandering the streets and people-watching are also free.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

I avoid all American fast food and chain restaurants while in Europe, but I was just curious as it seems that 'American food' seems to equate to nothing more then hamburgers, Pizza Hut and fried chicken. I have yet to see an 'American' restaurant overseas that served meat loaf with ketchup, mashed potatoes with gravy, side of peas and Wonder Bread with a pat of butter.

My GF is British and her cook book for pudding is nothing sweet! Quiet the contrary as it all seems to be meat based. She tells me that the British will call anything a 'pudding'.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I avoid all American fast food and chain restaurants while in Europe, but I was just curious as it seems that 'American food' seems to equate to nothing more then hamburgers, Pizza Hut and fried chicken. I have yet to see an 'American' restaurant overseas that served meat loaf with ketchup, mashed potatoes with gravy, side of peas and Wonder Bread with a pat of butter.

My GF is British and her cook book for pudding is nothing sweet! Quiet the contrary as it all seems to be meat based. She tells me that the British will call anything a 'pudding'.
To be honest, the American food you mention is probably seen as home-cooking, not a distinct cuisine. I would imagine if you asked 100 people outside of the USA to name an American dish, sadly 99 would say burgers, pizza, fried chicken etc - they just never see anything else that stands out as uniquely American.

And I have never heard of pudding in UK cooking to mean savoury, except for Yorkshire pudding - which is plain baked batter, and steak and kidney pudding - meat cooked in suet pastry. All the others are sweet!!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:

Apart from the 2 exceptions Southdown has pointed out, which do tend to be called puddings, there are a lot of meat-based pies. Sometimes if you get them in pubs and they come with flaky pastry they're often just a flaky lid floating over a scalding hot pot of meat sauce! Steak and kidney pie/pudding is nice though, but I prefer it with shortcrust pastry.

Don't confuse that with mince pies though - they're all fruit and people have them at Christmas.

But no - pudding is certainly a generic term for dessert, although most people call it dessert these days in my experience.

I'm afraid my impression of American food is lots of steak or ribs and stuff like that. I've not been, so I'm well-infused with the stereotypes that we're presented with.

What's Wonder Bread? A friend here told me American bread is sweeter than our bread but I don't know if that's all true or just true of whatever bread she came across.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Quote:

You mean the US doesn`t have `Spotted Dick`?? That`s a travesty!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom