Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM

744 posts, read 812,097 times

Advertisements

im from finland. new england in usa is my favorite place in the world, i love it here, i havent really traveled the south alot. england is way too over populated and as said before, expensive. it seems to being taken over by arabs/pakistanis,sad. a far as healthcare,here in massachusetts you can get massheath which is free if you dont make a bunch of money,or you can buy state insurance for 200 bucks a month, i dont think other states have healthcare like here though.i would think the higher taxes, more expensive food/goods etc that you dont pay in the us would more than make up for paying fior healthcare here, who knows. i plan to move to maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Chilaili, you are living in the wrong part of the country for people to think socialized medicine is a good idea. Most of Colorado is pretty conservative Republican, fend for yourself. I live in the Chicago area which is much more Democratic and I think in general people here are more concerned about people not having health insurance. I am currently unemployed, and if I had a serious illness or accident, I would be bankrupted. My employer laid me off because she couldn't pay us. She still owes me 2 months pay. For a time when I was working, we didn't have health insurance because she hadn't paid the bill. I think it's appalling that we Americans have to have a good job to have health insurance.
Actually Colorado is not "mostly" conservative Republican, it is a Purple state with a (to many people) surprisingly large number of Democrats, including the Governor Bill Ritter, Senator Ken Salazar, Congressmen Mark Udall (now running for Senate), Diana DeGette, and Ed Perlmutter, as well quite a few liberal-minded republicans living here.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:42 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Hopefully the U.S. will continue to make it more difficult for foreigners to come here! We are overun with immigrants!

It's really amazing how people who have never been here before automatically decide they want to immigrate here permanantly! Never to return to their roots. How do you know life here will be so much better than in England?? The U.S. is one of the few countries where people don't come here on vacation; they come here to stay. What our country really needs is a moratorium on immigration; our country does not have enough jobs for the people who are already here, and we have so many people coming from the the Third World, many of which hate us! These people fight to come here and they insult everything about our country. So many people come here to be taken care of. High populations put a drain on resources. This winter people won't be able to heat their homes; and guess what, what little subsidies there are, that are available, often go to immigrants--people who don't speak English; people who make babies they can't afford, before it goes to hard working citizens who deserve it more! The quality of life here in the U.S. is eroding because of the drain from immigrants.

But I suppose if we're going to take people from any where specific it should be England after all we are a former colony and our culture, customs and laws come from there. We also know people who come from developing countries often can't adapt to a capitalistic environment. At least they won't need ESL classes or translaters paid for by the U.S. taxpayer.

Actually, I think people who live in the Third World still think our streets are paved with gold.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM

194 posts, read 492,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Hopefully the U.S. will continue to make it more difficult for foreigners to come here! We are overun with immigrants!

It's really amazing how people who have never been here before automatically decide they want to immigrate here permanantly! Never to return to their roots.
For a start, I think most people who claim to want to move to the USA without having visited say that based on what they've heard etc. I doubt that many of these people actually DO make it happen. Secondly, I travel to USA on average 2/3 times per year for work, and spend a lot of time there, so my wish to live there is based on experience. Thirdly, who said these people (myself included) want to move there PERMANENTLY? Its impossible to say that until you are living there and know whether or not you would like to continue living there. People may buy one way tickets (and so will I) but a lot of people do that because they aren't sure how long they will be staying. I imagine that when I make my move, it will be permanent, but I cannot say that for sure until I have been there for enough time to confirm it.

Quote:
How do you know life here will be so much better than in England??.
Many people dont move there for a better life, they move for family / friends / work etc. And those that do move there for a better life dont necessarily know that it will be better, a lot of them just hope it will be.

Quote:
What our country really needs is a moratorium on immigration; our country does not have enough jobs for the people who are already here, and we have so many people coming from the the Third World, many of which hate us! These people fight to come here and they insult everything about our country. So many people come here to be taken care of. High populations put a drain on resources.
The situation is worse in England, believe me! People get entry to England MUCH easier than into the USA.

Quote:
This winter people won't be able to heat their homes; and guess what, what little subsidies there are, that are available, often go to immigrants--people who don't speak English; people who make babies they can't afford, before it goes to hard working citizens who deserve it more! The quality of life here in the U.S. is eroding because of the drain from immigrants..
Worse in England, for sure! Besides, "people who dont speak English"... Wasn't your original complaint about ENGLISH immigrants?

Quote:
But I suppose if we're going to take people from any where specific it should be England after all we are a former colony and our culture, customs and laws come from there. We also know people who come from developing countries often can't adapt to a capitalistic environment. At least they won't need ESL classes or translaters paid for by the U.S. taxpayer.
Thanks, that makes me feel really welcome. Im glad I wont be moving to Boston.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

105 posts, read 236,196 times
Quote:
We are overun with immigrants!
You know what i found IRONIC about that ^^

That you are descended from immigrants.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:

It's really amazing how people who have never been here before automatically decide they want to immigrate here permanantly! Never to return to their roots. How do you know life here will be so much better than in England?? The U.S. is one of the few countries where people don't come here on vacation; they come here to stay. What our country really needs is a moratorium on immigration; our country does not have enough jobs for the people who are already here, and we have so many people coming from the the Third World, many of which hate us! These people fight to come here and they insult everything about our country. So many people come here to be taken care of. High populations put a drain on resources. This winter people won't be able to heat their homes; and guess what, what little subsidies there are, that are available, often go to immigrants--people who don't speak English; people who make babies they can't afford, before it goes to hard working citizens who deserve it more! The quality of life here in the U.S. is eroding because of the drain from immigrants.

Actually, I think people who live in the Third World still think our streets are paved with gold.
I assume your ancestors were Native Americans? I assume you also know that foreigners who come here to work only get their work visas because the American employer has proven satisfactorily to the immigration service that there is no suitable American candidate who can do the job instead? Therefore, those people who emigrate to the US on work visas are here becasue they can do a job an American apparently can't. And not all of us stay here permanently, but those of who do have chosen to do because we really love it here and we have established a home with families and friends and close ties to whatever area we live in. This isn't the era of Ellis Island; we don't just jump on a boat and hope for the best. We do our research, we explore all options, we make sure this is the right place for us. We then work hard, pay our taxes, take up volunteering and maybe even go back to school. We try to become valuable members of the community and contribute something to the country that has supposedly welcomed us.

How ironic is it that you are in Massachusetts - the home of almost every original settler from Europe 400 years ago?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post
You know what i found IRONIC about that ^^

That you are descended from immigrants.
YES! This is always the BIG come back! Afterall, "We're all immigrants here aren't we?????" The difference is, is that when our ancestors came over here eons ago there was a heavy demand for labor. Clearing timber, building railroads and infrastructure.

The U.S. hallmark is the huge industrial movement; Industry is what made the U.S.!! Factories were going up everywhere, Rubber, Steal, Iron, Ore, Coal, Oil fields were dwelled. Mining became big. Textile mills were abundant! Chemical mills, the industrial revolution was proliferating. It goes on and on...

But guess what happened?? All those unskilled labor jobs gradually started going away. Factories started closing down, with their unskilled laborers with no place to go --It is too expensive to do business in the U.S. Everything is made overseas now. What little demand there is, is for very high skilled labor; computer/engineering skills, medical/biochemical research, alternative energy solutions, etc. All of which require years of academic study. Today, colleges and universities aggressively pursue foreign students to keep there tuitions artificially high.

When people came over here 100 years ago or longer, there was no welfare system, no food stamps, no wic programs, no secton 8 housing, no ESL classes, no translaters, people couldn't fake illness or injuries to collect social security---particularly, if they never put $$ into the system to begin with; our prisons weren't full to capacity with immigrants--many illegal, there was no affirmative action for unqualified people. No jimi-rigged voting blocks to give minorities an artificially inflated advantage. If you had ANY type of disease back then you were sent back--immigrants are the primary reason why our healthcare system is being destroyed. Our emergency rooms are overflowing with immigrants who have no health care, and who will never pay. (I know, I work in a hospital)

Today we have outbreaks of diseases that were once considered vanished by 1950, tuberculosis, typhoid, are back because of immigrants. People come here because they are sick, or because they want to give birth here. And none of them have insurance or money to pay. Our hotels have bedbugs, our nation irradicated bedbugs over 60 years ago, and now there back...

Back then you had to learn to speak English, and people were excited about adapting to U.S. culture, they wanted to be Americanized, but not now. Years ago immigrants were not a drain on society.

We also had something called the "National Origins Act" which gave priority to people of U.K., Canada and other parts of Western Europe because they could more easily adapt to U.S. culture than people from other parts of the the world--and they were an asset; they can't do that now, because of...you guessed it, racism. So now we have much higher crime, and a people that can't adapt. Many of our inner cities are being destroyed. Most of our metropolitan areas are over populated. Sure...... there's still room in the midwest, and various other areas. But people don't usually want to live there. U.S. population growth is among the highest of all developed countries.

But, I guess because whe're a nation founded by immigrants we should just overlook all of this...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Moderator's Note:

For those who wish to discuss US immigration in a general sense, please make use the Immigration forum. Further posts in this thread dealing with off topic material will be deleted.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM

194 posts, read 492,095 times
I have a question for anyone who has already done the UK to USA move (granted, Im in Spain, but same difference). I have been thinking about how much money I will need to already have when I get there. Assuming I was to arrive 1 month prior to starting my new job, Im thinking that I would need enough money for the following:

1) A few months rent money, just incase there was a delay in receiving salary etc, and enough for a deposit, obviously
2) To buy a car (not a great one, just good enough to get me from a to b) plus enough to pay the insurance and keep me in gas for a while
3) enough for a plane ticket home again incase of an emergency
4) enough to live on for a few months
5) maybe some spare for medical emergency etc

Is this realistic, or am I being really naive here? Have I missed anything out that would be majorly important? When I moved from UK to Spain I had literally enough for 2 months rent and everything was fine. I know this is VERY different though, so wanted a general idea of what people recommend...

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoritacharlene View Post
I have a question for anyone who has already done the UK to USA move (granted, Im in Spain, but same difference). I have been thinking about how much money I will need to already have when I get there. Assuming I was to arrive 1 month prior to starting my new job, Im thinking that I would need enough money for the following:

1) A few months rent money, just incase there was a delay in receiving salary etc, and enough for a deposit, obviously
2) To buy a car (not a great one, just good enough to get me from a to b) plus enough to pay the insurance and keep me in gas for a while
3) enough for a plane ticket home again incase of an emergency
4) enough to live on for a few months
5) maybe some spare for medical emergency etc

Is this realistic, or am I being really naive here? Have I missed anything out that would be majorly important? When I moved from UK to Spain I had literally enough for 2 months rent and everything was fine. I know this is VERY different though, so wanted a general idea of what people recommend...

Thanks!
It's a bit of a no brainer. If you go there several times a year as you have stated and have made the move to another country already, common sense should dictate how to plan your finances. Afterall, it's a personal thing and we all have different lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom