Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 10:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Britain would be poorer than any US state except Mississippi if it joined America | The Independent

??? I'm sure somebody did some mangling with a bunch of statistics to come up with that!

I don't know how to figure it out but you can't compare a place like Mississippi with much of anything. Extremely low literacy level, very poor health care, the massive number of people living in broken down rusty caravans. The state is the definition of poverty. Maybe you do have some places that are just as bad, most probably the places that have the recent immigrants--we have those places too in our crumbling post industrial cities--but in Mississippi that is the norm. And it's not just a city, it's an entire state, one of the fifty.

Okay, so they say, "EXCEPT" Mississippi. Well, nearby there are also Alabama and Louisiana. Statistics probably enter into the picture again because there will always be a few uber rich people who skew the results.

Other than that, I don't know what I'm talking about so I will leave the discussion to the more knowledgeable. Except for one thing: Americans will be visiting Britain in DROVES while the currency exchange is favorable to us. And we'll be buying things over there too. With the pent up number of people who have always wanted to visit the UK but never could afford to, well...prepare for a deluge. (I'll be seeing you in March--and I'm already preparing my shopping list, lol.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 11:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,194 times
Who wants to trade with you? This seems to depend largely on how open to trade a country is in general.

If you want to trade with the members of a customs union (you being outside of the club) you may be in for a frustrating experience. Which I understand was the experience of the Canadian CETA team.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:07 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Britain would be poorer than any US state except Mississippi if it joined America | The Independent

??? I'm sure somebody did some mangling with a bunch of statistics to come up with that!

I don't know how to figure it out but you can't compare a place like Mississippi with much of anything. Extremely low literacy level, very poor health care, the massive number of people living in broken down rusty caravans. The state is the definition of poverty. Maybe you do have some places that are just as bad, most probably the places that have the recent immigrants--we have those places too in our crumbling post industrial cities--but in Mississippi that is the norm. And it's not just a city, it's an entire state, one of the fifty.

Okay, so they say, "EXCEPT" Mississippi. Well, nearby there are also Alabama and Louisiana. Statistics probably enter into the picture again because there will always be a few uber rich people who skew the results.

Other than that, I don't know what I'm talking about so I will leave the discussion to the more knowledgeable. Except for one thing: Americans will be visiting Britain in DROVES while the currency exchange is favorable to us. And we'll be buying things over there too. With the pent up number of people who have always wanted to visit the UK but never could afford to, well...prepare for a deluge. (I'll be seeing you in March--and I'm already preparing my shopping list, lol.)

Well the link makes clear it was a UK publication, The Spectator, that came up with the numbers.

I can understand the UK/US state analogy could be a little difficult at first, but if you remember that 320M Americans produce a greater GDP than 500M members of the EU it becomes a little easier.

Also, the US Federal system distributes money between the states much more efficiently than the EU does, making it easier for DC to lift up Miss etc. than the comparable in the EU. That's been one of the big criticisms of the EU and the Euro currency, accountability without authority, in part because the UK refused to participate.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I don't recall anyone claiming that countries would refuse to do a trade deal out of spite. The world's a little more complicated than that. Nor do I recall anyone claiming that living standards in India are better than the UK. You're allowing your insecurities to cloud your opinions. I was simply applying to India the same standard that Brexiters were applying to the UK, i.e the size of the economy.

If you want to compare UK GDP per capita, try this:

Although their respective legal constraints may be different, California is an identifiable and measurable unit of the US economy, just as Germany, UK, etc. are of the EU. You can't simply wish it away, and pretend it doesn't exist.

When economic circumstances change there are usually winners and losers. Your company may be a current winner, but that's far from the complete picture. Otherwise, why would Nissan, banks, etc. be pleading for special consideration?

Your simple analogy of "swings and roundabouts" unsupported by any data is simply worthless whataboutery.

Show me national increasing trade stats like these that show the Oct 2016 situation improving for the UK.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statisti...Pages/OTS.aspx
Actually the world isn't complicated at all, I do business with people from all over the globe, have done for years, its not complicated. I don't care what you say about GDP what counts is the standard of living and the standard of living for British people is one of the highest on the globe no matter what way you try to paint it, I wager the standard of living in the UK is better than it is in some US States, as for your comment about California of course you cant count it separately its part of the USA it benefits from being a part of a country of 350+ million people!!! It simply wouldn't be the same if it was a separate country. I can tell you know as somebody that tenders and then buys a wide range of equipment from all over the globe the amount of equipment being bought from UK companies has increased because of the exchange rates, ie its cheaper to buy from UK companies than it was 9 months ago, its simple economics and if you think that my standard of living or anybody else's standard of living has changed because of Brexit you are wrong.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Actually the world isn't complicated at all, I do business with people from all over the globe, have done for years, its not complicated. I don't care what you say about GDP what counts is the standard of living and the standard of living for British people is one of the highest on the globe no matter what way you try to paint it, I wager the standard of living in the UK is better than it is in some US States, as for your comment about California of course you cant count it separately its part of the USA it benefits from being a part of a country of 350+ million people!!! It simply wouldn't be the same if it was a separate country. I can tell you know as somebody that tenders and then buys a wide range of equipment from all over the globe the amount of equipment being bought from UK companies has increased because of the exchange rates, ie its cheaper to buy from UK companies than it was 9 months ago, its simple economics and if you think that my standard of living or anybody else's standard of living has changed because of Brexit you are wrong.
Don't know where you are getting the idea that I made any personal comment on the UK standard of living. I've been focusing on nominal GDP because that's what Brexiters have been focusing on, 5th largest economy etc. Show me a quote of something I said about UK standard of living. I didn't say word one about it. You're the one bringing it up and attempting to shift the focus.

I did cite what the Independent and Spectator said, but made no comment myself..

When you falsely accuse someone of statements they didn't make, it looks like you are allowing your insecurities to cloud your opinions.

Statements such as the US population is currently 350M+ are demonstrably false, easily verifiable, and serves to do only one thing, undermine your credibility. Gives the impression you can't even get basic facts straight, so why believe anything else you say.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Don't know where you are getting the idea that I made any personal comment on the UK standard of living. I've been focusing on nominal GDP because that's what Brexiters have been focusing on, 5th largest economy etc. Show me a quote of something I said about UK standard of living. I didn't say word one about it. You're the one bringing it up and attempting to shift the focus.

I did cite what the Independent and Spectator said, but made no comment myself..

When you falsely accuse someone of statements they didn't make, it looks like you are allowing your insecurities to cloud your opinions.

Statements such as the US population is currently 350M+ are demonstrably false, easily verifiable, and serves to do only one thing, undermine your credibility. Gives the impression you can't even get basic facts straight, so why believe anything else you say.
Believe what you like I don't really care, the question asked EU better off in or out, the answer as far as I am concerned - out, for the reasons I gave, British businesses are profiting from the fall in the pound, British standards of living will rise, what that has to do with California I don't really know suffice to say that California doesn't even come into it. Of course the pound will rise, the pound will fall, ultimately there are good and bad knock on effects whichever way it goes, personally I am glad that Britain will free itself from the shackles of the EU which I believe was doing the British people more harm than good. Whatever 'insecurities' I have in life I don't have any 'insecurities' about the EU.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 AM

Even #10 is feeling the pinch.......

Quote:
Windows into Brexit Cost

Brexit’s cost is hitting close to home as Prime Minister Theresa May’s CabinetOffice has been forced to negotiate with Microsoft to minimize the impact of a looming price hike that could cost the government hundreds of thousands of pounds, Bloomberg's Thomas Seal reports.

In October, Microsoft announced the cost of its cloud services would go up by 22 percent in 2017 to "harmonize" its prices across Europe following the sharp fall in the pound. Sterling has plunged 17 percent against the dollar, the currency in which Microsoft books its revenues, since Britons voted to leave the EU.

According to Freedom of Information requests submitted by Bloomberg, the company is now in negotiations with the Common Technology Services division of the Cabinet Office, which coordinates the prime minister’s office with other departments and the civil service.

The division "is negotiating with Microsoft in order to secure a pan-governmental commercial advantage for the purchase of some of these licenses," the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...microsoft-hike

Old 12-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Even #10 is feeling the pinch.......

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...microsoft-hike
Lol that's nothing when you compare it to the £23 MILLION a day that was being payed into the EU (and that is AFTER all rebates)

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

Old 12-28-2016, 07:55 PM

434 posts, read 248,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Lol that's nothing when you compare it to the £23 MILLION a day that was being payed into the EU (and that is AFTER all rebates)

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/
Compared to 600 mil a day in UK to EU trade? At 4% it doesn't seem quite so bad. WTO tariffs average about 15%.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glokta View Post
Compared to 600 mil a day in UK to EU trade? At 4% it doesn't seem quite so bad. WTO tariffs average about 15%.
UK runs a trade deficit with the rest of the EU. So WTO tariffs will hurt the EU more than it will the UK. In fact, the net tariff income resulting from the trade imbalance adds to the 23 million/day. In addition, the fall in the value of the pound has largely negated the impact of tariffs from a UK perspective as well as making EU goods and services less competitive in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom