Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:09 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Btw how are Cardiff, Edinburgh and Belfast? Anything for me to look at perhaps? Any major difference living in UK while not living in England?
Cardiff is mostly the same as an English city. I don't really like Cardiff that much (I used to work in the city centre).

First of all, the traffic is bad, getting in and out of the city. But then if you decide to use the trains (it is well connected with different train routes), the local trains are a complete nightmare! It's ok if you like fighting your way to get onto a local train, being crammed in like sardines, and then standing for your whole journey though:

Trains are now so full that passengers are standing in the toilets - Wales Online

The city centre itself can also get really busy, and I've never known anything like it for people pushing past you, as you try to make your way around. The shops are mostly on Queen Street and St Mary's Street (with Shopping Centres/Arcades along the way).

St Mary's Street is also full of pubs/clubs, and is notorious for being a rowdy place during the evenings (especially the weekends). There are usually people hanging around there, or drunkenly trying to make their way to Caroline Street (a street full of fast food places, and full of food wrappers the next morning).

Every year, on the weekends around Christmas and on New Year's Eve, you can guarantee that Cardiff city centre gets a mention in the Daily Mail, showing people making complete idiots of themselves there:

SARAH VINE on how British society is in the grip of a binge-drinking culture | Daily Mail Online

Britain wakes up after year's biggest Christmas parties night out | Daily Mail Online

It is also like this whenever there is a big match on at the Principality Stadium, which is also in the city centre. You cannot move for drunken people on those days (although I suppose there is a good atmosphere, when Wales actually wins!).

There's also a big castle (Cardiff Castle), in the city centre. The park areas around there are quite nice, and relatively peaceful.

Further out of the city centre, there's Cardiff Bay, which is quite touristy. It's got some good places to eat, and it's got Techniquest (Science themed place - great for kids), and The Doctor Who Experience (if you like that sort of thing, although I think it might be closing). But otherwise I find it to lack character, due to the concrete/amount of buildings they've crammed in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I understand that you want as little rain as possible? Cardiff is nice, but I can tell you for a fact that it is a very wet city, possibly the wettest in the UK, and Belfast isn't a great deal better. Although Edinburgh is relatively moderate.
Quote:
Really, on wiki it says that "Cardiff experiences less rainfall than the average for Wales. Rain falls in Cardiff on 146 days during an average year..". Yes, 146 days is a lot but still less than my current hometown of Gothenburg
On those 146 days that it rains in Cardiff, it rains a great deal! It is definitely a "wet city"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 01:29 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Really, on wiki it says that "Cardiff experiences less rainfall than the average for Wales. Rain falls in Cardiff on 146 days during an average year..". Yes, 146 days is a lot but still less than my current hometown of Gothenburg
You seem to be more interested with the number of rainy days rather than the actual amount of rain that falls during those days. According to Wiki, Cardiff gets over 1,151.9mm of rain a year, compared to 791mm in Gothenberg. Perhaps it is beneath the Welsh average, but that isn't saying much, Wales is the wettest country in the UK. I live close to the English border in North East Wales, and here we get 700mm of rain a year. To me this feels pretty wet, especially in winter, so I can't imagine what Cardiff must be like throughout the entire year.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:40 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
You seem to be more interested with the number of rainy days rather than the actual amount of rain that falls during those days. According to Wiki, Cardiff gets over 1,151.9mm of rain a year, compared to 791mm in Gothenberg. Perhaps it is beneath the Welsh average, but that isn't saying much, Wales is the wettest country in the UK. I live close to the English border in North East Wales, and here we get 700mm of rain a year. To me this feels pretty wet, especially in winter, so I can't imagine what Cardiff must be like throughout the entire year.
Yes, Cardiff does get a large amount of rain, for when it rains - I can vouch for that!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM

154 posts, read 197,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Cardiff is mostly the same as an English city. I don't really like Cardiff that much (I used to work in the city centre).

First of all, the traffic is bad, getting in and out of the city. But then if you decide to use the trains (it is well connected with different train routes), the local trains are a complete nightmare! It's ok if you like fighting your way to get onto a local train, being crammed in like sardines, and then standing for your whole journey though:

Trains are now so full that passengers are standing in the toilets - Wales Online

The city centre itself can also get really busy, and I've never known anything like it for people pushing past you, as you try to make your way around. The shops are mostly on Queen Street and St Mary's Street (with Shopping Centres/Arcades along the way).

St Mary's Street is also full of pubs/clubs, and is notorious for being a rowdy place during the evenings (especially the weekends). There are usually people hanging around there, or drunkenly trying to make their way to Caroline Street (a street full of fast food places, and full of food wrappers the next morning).

Every year, on the weekends around Christmas and on New Year's Eve, you can guarantee that Cardiff city centre gets a mention in the Daily Mail, showing people making complete idiots of themselves there:

SARAH VINE on how British society is in the grip of a binge-drinking culture | Daily Mail Online

Britain wakes up after year's biggest Christmas parties night out | Daily Mail Online

It is also like this whenever there is a big match on at the Principality Stadium, which is also in the city centre. You cannot move for drunken people on those days (although I suppose there is a good atmosphere, when Wales actually wins!).

There's also a big castle (Cardiff Castle), in the city centre. The park areas around there are quite nice, and relatively peaceful.

Further out of the city centre, there's Cardiff Bay, which is quite touristy. It's got some good places to eat, and it's got Techniquest (Science themed place - great for kids), and The Doctor Who Experience (if you like that sort of thing, although I think it might be closing). But otherwise I find it to lack character, due to the concrete/amount of buildings they've crammed in there.

On those 146 days that it rains in Cardiff, it rains a great deal! It is definitely a "wet city"!

Thank you for the insight

Quote:
Yes this is because Perth (where I used to live and loved it) gets about 730 mm a year, almost the same as Gothenburg. But in Gothenburg it feels like it never stops raining wheras in Perth it felt like the opposite. I guess that if it got to rain it might as well rain all day so I get as many sunny days as possible

Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Thank you for the insight

Yes this is because Perth (where I used to live and loved it) gets about 730 mm a year, almost the same as Gothenburg. But in Gothenburg it feels like it never stops raining wheras in Perth it felt like the opposite. I guess that if it got to rain it might as well rain all day so I get as many sunny days as possible
Why did you leave Perth if you loved it there?

Old 01-21-2017, 12:55 PM

154 posts, read 197,941 times
Quote:
Why did you leave Perth if you loved it there?
I was on a study exchange for a year in 2014 Being from Sweden it's very hard to get a visa to stay in Australia which is the main reason I'm looking towards UK instead

Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:

Would you mind giving some brief explanations for each city?
Winchester - an old, small city surrounded by nice countryside. Also the old capital city!

Southampton - medium-sized city, it has mild winters and warm summers. Lots of bars, and an old city wall. Has a premier league football team.

Portsmouth - Similar to Southampton but not as attractive. Mediterranean rainfall pattern with very dry and sunny summers.

Bournemouth - Similar weather to Portmouth, lots of nice beaches and bars/clubs. Has a premier league football team.

Bristol - the 2nd biggest city in the south after London. Lots of things to do and lots of history.

Best weather would be Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth.
Southampton and Bournemouth have premier league teams. Portsmouth and Bristol also have football teams.
Southampton and Bristol would probably be the best for job prospects; Southampton is where the Ordnance Survey HQ is.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
England doesn't have good weather in winter.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
England doesn't have good weather in winter.
But compared to Gothenburg it has excellent winter weather.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Winchester - an old, small city surrounded by nice countryside. Also the old capital city!

Southampton - medium-sized city, it has mild winters and warm summers. Lots of bars, and an old city wall. Has a premier league football team.

Portsmouth - Similar to Southampton but not as attractive. Mediterranean rainfall pattern with very dry and sunny summers.

Bournemouth - Similar weather to Portmouth, lots of nice beaches and bars/clubs. Has a premier league football team.

Bristol - the 2nd biggest city in the south after London. Lots of things to do and lots of history.

Best weather would be Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth.
Southampton and Bournemouth have premier league teams. Portsmouth and Bristol also have football teams.
Southampton and Bristol would probably be the best for job prospects; Southampton is where the Ordnance Survey HQ is.
So basically, he should ignore all those places you've mentioned, other than Bristol. There's only one city there that ticks the boxes of the OP.

Portsmouth and Southampton FFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom