Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:13 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

In what way?

You mean, I prefer to live in nicer places/less cut off locations?
From all your woeful posts about life in Norwich you sound like a fish out of water even in a small city, let alone somewhere like London...

And if you read the OP first post they are looking for a smaller city specifically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
From all your woeful posts about life in Norwich you sound like a fish out of water even in a small city, let alone somewhere like London...

And if you read the OP first post they are looking for a smaller city specifically
What are you talking about??

Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 AM

154 posts, read 197,941 times
Quote:

Well yes if you call 100 000 - 600 000 'smaller city'.

Interesting on southampton and Portsmouth, we'll have to visit both cities and see

To avoid having to create another thread just for this one question, but how does Dublin stand in comparison to UK cities (weather, economy, safety etc.)?

And does anybody know if it is as hard to get into New Zealand as it is with Australia?

Btw does the salaries differ alot amongst UK cities or just the living costs?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
It is often sunny during the summer in Portsmouth when just a mile or two inland it can be cloudy or even raining, this is because the south coast lies closest to ridges of high pressure associated with the Azores high and the mean wind direction veers slightly to a more westerly direction, reducing the frequency of onshore winds onto southern coasts. Showers build over land & are blown further inland so it's not unusual for Portsmouth to have parched looking grass during the summer...

The beach isn't great & it is shingle, although the shingle is actually placed on the beach to protect the seafront from flooding, when the tide goes out it is sandy & you can walk a fair way out. The beach gets packed during the summer though. Many of the industrial areas have been regenerated, such as Gunwharf Quays, which used to be a Naval base...
Portsmouth looks ok. I suppose it's quite similar to Plymouth in a way, especially with them both being Naval cities.

They are regenerating some of the industrial areas of Plymouth too (along Devonport, for example). But a lot of British cities have their 'rough' areas and 'posh' areas anyway.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
A city of 200,000 can't be that fun. I would choose London.
I'm not sure that an increase in population, would make an area more fun. Plenty of smaller British cities have good facilities and lots to do there.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 AM

I noticed this about Bristol, whilst reading about the Severn Bridge:

"Bristol is the UK's fastest growing economy outside of London" and "[The Cribbs Causeway Mall] is expected to become one of Britain's top 10 biggest malls by 2021". Although the bad news is "[Bristol's] house prices are the fastest growing in the country".

Severn Bridge tolls reduction warning for businesses - BBC News

Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post

Interesting on southampton and Portsmouth, we'll have to visit both cities and see

To avoid having to create another thread just for this one question, but how does Dublin stand in comparison to UK cities (weather, economy, safety etc.)?

And does anybody know if it is as hard to get into New Zealand as it is with Australia?

Dublin is a great city to visit. I don't know how it would stand as somewhere to live. Climatically it is similar to most British cities, although worse than southern England. On average Ireland has better wages than the UK, but it also has a higher unemployment rate. If you get a secure job you'll do well, but getting a job to begin with is a more difficult challenge than it would be in the UK.

As for Australia and New Zealand, neither country is "difficult" to get into so long as you have the skills they're looking for. You'd have to judge this yourself given that I obviously don't know your personal circumstances as well as you do.

If you really are finding it difficult, then I have quite a far-fetched idea. The Australian government has been suggesting that if post-Brexit UK agrees a trade deal with the UK, then it would seek to relax Visa restrictions between the two countries, allowing easier immigration between the two. This might also be something that New Zealand seeks. This would be a few years down the line, but perhaps you could use the UK as a platform to get into those countries? Although I imagine their must be an easier way than that.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
What are you talking about??
I think it is quite clear what I am talking about lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post

I meant smaller than London, which the delightful Owen suggested

Salaries are usually higher in the SE because cost of living is higher, London for example is extremely expensive to live in, but salaries are higher still here...

The best option for you perhaps would be to live within the commuter belt of London, so you can work in London & get the best chance of a decent job/salary, but live elsewhere where it is cheaper, less crowded etc.. but obviously travelling into London each day is not for the faint hearted...

Old 01-24-2017, 11:12 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
The thing about London is that you have to make sure you can get a well paying Job, or it's not an easy place to live in. It really is a city of the haves and have-nots, it has some of the worst inequality levels in the developed world. There's plenty of opportunities to succeed, but it is also an unforgiving place, it can chew you up and spit you out.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:55 AM

154 posts, read 197,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Dublin is a great city to visit. I don't know how it would stand as somewhere to live. Climatically it is similar to most British cities, although worse than southern England. On average Ireland has better wages than the UK, but it also has a higher unemployment rate. If you get a secure job you'll do well, but getting a job to begin with is a more difficult challenge than it would be in the UK.

As for Australia and New Zealand, neither country is "difficult" to get into so long as you have the skills they're looking for. You'd have to judge this yourself given that I obviously don't know your personal circumstances as well as you do.

If you really are finding it difficult, then I have quite a far-fetched idea. The Australian government has been suggesting that if post-Brexit UK agrees a trade deal with the UK, then it would seek to relax Visa restrictions between the two countries, allowing easier immigration between the two. This might also be something that New Zealand seeks. This would be a few years down the line, but perhaps you could use the UK as a platform to get into those countries? Although I imagine their must be an easier way than that.
Well then I guess it's not "worth" choosing Ireland over UK because in Ireland there's only Dublin, but there is so much more to UK.
As for Australia, we have researched about what it would take for my girlfriend to practise physiotherapy in a Australia with a Swedish degree and it's definitely a very complicated and expensive procedure! One that would take months and cost us 10 000 euro at least.
Regarding New Zealand, Auckland only gets 2000 sunshine hours and 135 days of rain so it's not even better than say Portsmouth. So no reason so move that far away for that. To make a move that far it has to have really outstanding weather; like for example Honolulu, Perth, San Diego or Cape Town. But those cities are off limits for various and obvious reasons.

Quote:
I think it is quite clear what I am talking about lol...

I meant smaller than London, which the delightful Owen suggested

Salaries are usually higher in the SE because cost of living is higher, London for example is extremely expensive to live in, but salaries are higher still here...

The best option for you perhaps would be to live within the commuter belt of London, so you can work in London & get the best chance of a decent job/salary, but live elsewhere where it is cheaper, less crowded etc.. but obviously travelling into London each day is not for the faint hearted...
Oh okey, so the salaries follow the cost of living so there is no real gain (economically) in living SE then. Would you say it's easier for a foreigner to find a job in a larger (above 300 000) or smaller (under 300 000) UK city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom