Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Interesting time watching as the election campaign unfolds. As the Labour Party has shifted to the left under Corbyn so the Conservatives appear to be shifting back towards the centre.

As The Spectator has noted:

"It is, however, clear that this manifesto marks a shift in the Tory party's thinking, a move away from the ideological underpinnings of the Thatcher era."

Brexit aside, it would appear that Theresa May has more in common with 'one-nation' Conservatism than with Thatcherism.
Smart thing to do. If Tony Blair proved anything, it's that in most cases elections are won by the party that captures the centre-ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I was referring to the ' Attractive short-term solutions that will hurt the country in the long run'.
The manifesto isn't out yet so the validity of their costings isn't known.
"Attractive short term solutions", That's exactly what Labour are offering. Say hello to more heavy borrowing.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:44 PM

703 posts, read 446,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
"Attractive short term solutions", That's exactly what Labour are offering. Say hello to more heavy borrowing.
I think you'll find that the Tories have been the biggest borrowers by quite a margin

Old 05-20-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
I think you'll find that the Tories have been the biggest borrowers by quite a margin
Borrowing naturally increases following a recession. But we're talking about the future, the current Labour manifesto is literally promising heavier borrowing. I suggest you look at the budgeting, taxing the rich doesn't even come close to accounting for all of their planned expenditure.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
The problem Labour has is that the electorate - not the Labour Party - has no confidence in Corbyn as a Prime Minister. That problem has been compounded by Corbyn's choice of a leadership team which is inept, shrill and unlikeable.

At the end of the day, manifestos don't count for much. Probably less than one percent of the electorate actually read them. What matters is who the electorate trust the most on the key issues of the day and, for the UK, the key issue is very much Brexit. When you look at the party leaders, none of them come over great but Theresa May seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

In addition, the electorate is fundamentally centrist. Corbyn is no centrist. He is unashamedly left wing. Nothing wrong with that but it does not reflect the values of the electorate. Theresa May has understood that reality and is trying to drag the Tories - albeit kicking and screaming - back towards the centre.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to find out, as did Michael Foot some 35 years ago, that he is fundamentally out of step with the electorate and that being popular with activists is one thing, but winning elections is quite another.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem Labour has is that the electorate - not the Labour Party - has no confidence in Corbyn as a Prime Minister. That problem has been compounded by Corbyn's choice of a leadership team which is inept, shrill and unlikeable.

At the end of the day, manifestos don't count for much. Probably less than one percent of the electorate actually read them. What matters is who the electorate trust the most on the key issues of the day and, for the UK, the key issue is very much Brexit. When you look at the party leaders, none of them come over great but Theresa May seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

In addition, the electorate is fundamentally centrist. Corbyn is no centrist. He is unashamedly left wing. Nothing wrong with that but it does not reflect the values of the electorate. Theresa May has understood that reality and is trying to drag the Tories - albeit kicking and screaming - back towards the centre.

Jeremy Corbyn is going to find out, as did Michael Foot some 35 years ago, that he is fundamentally out of step with the electorate and that being popular with activists is one thing, but winning elections is quite another.
Exactly. Although Corbyn didn't really have much of choice with the leadership, only the dregs of the party remained to support him.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Exactly. Although Corbyn didn't really have much of choice with the leadership, only the dregs of the party remained to support him.
The Election Day is going to be a disaster for the Labour Party. I take no pleasure in saying it, as I have voted for them most of my life. I hope they can get on the road to recovery afterwards, but that won't help the ordinary folks of this country. The Tories will run riot with a massive majority.

The legacy of Blair and Brown have left a bad taste in the mouth. Because of them, this idiot Corbyn managed to achieve power within the party. Getting rid of him after the election is not a done deal. He is talking of remaining as leader. If he manages to do this, the party may end up like the Liberals constantly ebbing and flowing in support, and never regaining power.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The Election Day is going to be a disaster for the Labour Party. I take no pleasure in saying it, as I have voted for them most of my life. I hope they can get on the road to recovery afterwards, but that won't help the ordinary folks of this country. The Tories will run riot with a massive majority.

The legacy of Blair and Brown have left a bad taste in the mouth. Because of them, this idiot Corbyn managed to achieve power within the party. Getting rid of him after the election is not a done deal. He is talking of remaining as leader. If he manages to do this, the party may end up like the Liberals constantly ebbing and flowing in support, and never regaining power.
That being said, have you seen the polls today? Conservatives still well-ahead, but it's narrowing, the Tory manifesto has bombed to an extent. Labour do have popular policies, but the thing is that few people believe that they can deliver on them.

Last edited by Razza94; 05-21-2017 at 03:24 AM..

Old 05-21-2017, 02:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
That being said, have you seen the polls today? Conservatives stir well-ahead, but it's narrowing, the Tory manifesto has bombed to an extent. Labour do have popular policies, but the thing is that few people believe that they can deliver on them.
That's the thing Razza - people just don't believe what they say anymore. Corbyn has little credibility beyond his groupies. He must look out at the adoring minions at his meetings, and think he will do better than the polls say at the vote.

He is the Michael Foot of the 21st Century. I say that as someone who voted for Michael Foot....... I think that Theresa May is appealing to the desire to have a leader with a mandate for the upcoming EU talks. The election leaflets I am getting through my door from the Tories are concentrating on this.

Theresa is sadly, the best we have out of a poor lot. The Liberals are a joke, and UKIP are imploding ever since Nigel Farage walked away. They did their job for me by frightening the Tories to give us an EU vote.

Nigel seems happy just biting ankles in the EU Parliament these days, which is a shame. I am pretty depressed at what is coming next. All my instincts are against voting for the Tories, but no way can I vote for Corbyn. After the election, what happens next to the Labour Party, will probably be an internal war. The Tories will then do anything they want, similar to what Thatcher did after her landslide victory. Gawd help us all.......

Old 05-21-2017, 03:18 AM

703 posts, read 446,567 times
Quote:
Borrowing naturally increases following a recession. But we're talking about the future, the current Labour manifesto is literally promising heavier borrowing. I suggest you look at the budgeting, taxing the rich doesn't even come close to accounting for all of their planned expenditure.
There is of course the Corporation Tax revenue. A tax which seems absurdly low to me, and the lowest in the EU except for Ireland. It is also set to reduce to 17% under the Tories.
Why? To encourage businesses to invest, expand and create more low paid jobs on the backs of the existing low paid jobs? That's the Tory way. (What is their current policy regarding zero hours contracts?)
I hope this country wakes up to what the next 5 years holds if they fall for the Tory slogans, spin and media bias and puts them back in.
Theresa May's intention to overturn the fox hunting ban says everything you need to know about her and her disconnect with the British people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom