Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Have you been reading this thread?
most of it, yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
most of it, yes
Then you must know that the doctors at GOSH, and other experts, have said that further treatment in America would be futile. Even the American doctor who would be treating Charlie, should his parents be allowed to take him to the US, said his symptoms were too severe for the treatment to be successful.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Charlie Gard's parents have just walked out of Court after a verbal outburst aimed at the Judge.

Charlie Gard's parents walk out of High Court after outburst at judge - Telegraph

Old 07-14-2017, 10:04 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
He's their child and if they can afford to pay for it and don't expect the taxpayers to pay for it, let them take him. He won't be in any more pain belong transported than he is while lying in his hospital bed. Seriously, if he dies sooner, is that such a bad thing?

If it is the USA where they are bringing him, experimental treatment is very closely monitored and not allowed unless there is proof that it might work. It's not like some quack has a looneytoons idea and starts to try it out. If a hospital is going to do it, they have research and testing to back up their position.

Let the parent know that they have done everything that they can do,

Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's their child and if they can afford to pay for it and don't expect the taxpayers to pay for it, let them take him. He won't be in any more pain belong transported than he is while lying in his hospital bed. Seriously, if he dies sooner, is that such a bad thing?

If it is the USA where they are bringing him, experimental treatment is very closely monitored and not allowed unless there is proof that it might work. It's not like some quack has a looneytoons idea and starts to try it out. If a hospital is going to do it, they have research and testing to back up their position.

I imagine all the legal costs from the hospital's point of view are being paid by the taxpayer, and it'll be a lot of money.

I understand the parents, and their fight. The child is dying, and is now on morphine for his pain. It's time to let go, and yes I know that's harsh.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:35 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I imagine all the legal costs from the hospital's point of view are being paid by the taxpayer, and it'll be a lot of money.

I understand the parents, and their fight. The child is dying, and is now on morphine for his pain. It's time to let go, and yes I know that's harsh.
As Ive said Dave I can see both sides of the argument and feel so sad for the parents and of course the child... but tax payers pay for drugs for junkies, and many other things that shouldnt be happening..it is so sad and as parent I would never want to be in that position, although I cant watch suffering at all..

Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
As Ive said Dave I can see both sides of the argument and feel so sad for the parents and of course the child... but tax payers pay for drugs for junkies, and many other things that shouldnt be happening..it is so sad and as parent I would never want to be in that position, although I cant watch suffering at all..
It's terrible dizzy, but I think the parents are blinded by desire to save their child. He is brain damaged, and is dying. Taking him to America won't change that.

Doctors now say the child is in pain, although unconscious. Instead of these parents being surrounded with do gooders, and grasping lawyers, they need to face the truth, and let their child die with some sort of dignity.

I'm sorry if that offends anybody, but it is the truth.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

He's also a person with all rights associated. Parental rights cease when their actions cause or extend suffering of their child.

There is no proof that the treatment will work at best it's hoped it will arrest his condition. The treatment hasn't even passed rodent trials for this condition that's about as looney toons as you get. The doctor even said that the treatment will not cause any improvement given the stage of his condition you know what else would cause no improvement? A bag of Ringers it's got 60+ years of clinical use history.

The parents have done more than enough, GOSH is his only current hope (although hope is an astronomical exaggeration) because no other hospitals are now prepared to accept him as a patient. How likely do you think any hospital in the US is going to be prepared to take him on, using an effectively untested treatment, with potentially millions of dollars of legal fees and millions of dollars in damages if it all goes as expected? Who is likely to sign up for that?

Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
As I understand it the relationship between GOSH and the parents is toxic. Charlie's parents just will not accept the diagnosis from the doctors at GOSH, and all other experts in the field who have agreed with that diagnosis.

The behaviour of Charlie's parents, and their supporters toward GOSH'S QC and indeed the judge, has been antagonistic to say the least. I understand the parents anguish, their son is dying and they are grasping at straws.

An expert from the US is arriving shortly to study Charlie's condition himself, the parents want to attend, and GOSH have said that they can as long as they keep quiet. That's how bad the relationship is between the hospital and the parents. Charlie's parents have accused the doctors of, let's face it, lying about the boy's condition.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:15 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
The parents are in a massive state of denial. That is apparent in their insistence that he could potentially be normal. This is not like a coma from an injury where there is some finite chance that the patient will wake up, even if that chance is small.

One issue I have not seen addressed is that of forcing health care personnel to take care of Charlie, knowing he is not going to get better and that he is in pain. I have been in the position of having a very sick child, and I know the toll it takes on doctors and nurses who have to do things that they know are painful and distressing to the patient even in the face of an optimistic prognosis. Charlie's doctors would do anything they could to save him. There is just nothing that can be done.

It's not about money, it seems, since funds have been raised. It is about Charlie's best interest.

The parents need to let go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom