Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:15 PM

308 posts, read 237,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
agree entirely about travellers , left wing media and academia gush endlessly about them however over here
They do here as well. Travellers are nothing but scumbag thieving violent wastes of space. Ive noticed in Ireland Sinn Fein seem to want a traveller lovefest lately.That will please the voters....NOT.

Most travellers are just about illiterate putting a cross in a box at an election is the only time its the way to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 07:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
In the comedy episode below, John Cleese, as English resort hotel-owner Basil Fawlty, hires an Irish-born remodeler, instead of a more reputable English workman recommended by his wife Sybil. The Irish workman first appears at 16:50. (16 minutes and 50 seconds into the film).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgrhyhsELY

Last edited by slowlane3; 08-20-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In the comedy episode below, John Cleese, as English resort hotel-owner Basil Fawlty, hires an Irish-born remodeler, instead of a more reputable English workman recommended by his wife Sybil. The Irish workman first appears at 16:50. (16 minutes and 50 seconds into the film).

he,s a cowboy builder , that he is irish is irrelevant ( back then a lot of tradesmen the uk were irish rather than polish today ) , nothing offensive about it

funny

you probably couldnt slag off the germans today in a sitcom ala basil either

Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
That particular band are still going,and ive never heard complaints about the name,and surely if it was for Kill All Irish there would be plenty.

Im always amazed at these bands shouting out "the Billy Boys song".Billy Fullerton was a strike breaker in the 1926 General Strike.Him and his thug friends actually went to the shipyards in Govan and splattered the strikers everywhere.Odd that most of those workers were Protestant Loyalists.It was nigh on impossible to get work there if you were a Catholic,so these twits are celebrating a man who battered their Grandads and Great Grandads senseless.
Yeah I would guess it was rough times in those days. Read something away back about Manny Shinwall who was a Labour man and a bit of a pugilist. Tough times and tough people.

A bit like Gangs of New York

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yeah I would guess it was rough times in those days. Read something away back about Manny Shinwall who was a Labour man and a bit of a pugilist. Tough times and tough people.

A bit like Gangs of New York
There was a time that Glasgow was known for its gangs. The Fleet, the Tongs, YPC, various 'Teams', etc.. They were still around when I was growing up in Glasgow in the 1960s but definitely in the process of dying out. From memory, the gangs tended to be territorial rather than sectarian.

Manny Shinwell was a Glasgow Labour man and one of the famous Red Clydesiders. He ended up being a cabinet minister and a lord. He wasn't Irish, catholic or protestant but the son of a Polish jew and a Dutch jew who moved from London to Glasgow when he was a child.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:17 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There was a time that Glasgow was known for its gangs. The Fleet, the Tongs, YPC, various 'Teams', etc.. They were still around when I was growing up in Glasgow in the 1960s but definitely in the process of dying out. From memory, the gangs tended to be territorial rather than sectarian.

Manny Shinwell was a Glasgow Labour man and one of the famous Red Clydesiders. He ended up being a cabinet minister and a lord. He wasn't Irish, catholic or protestant but the son of a Polish jew and a Dutch jew who moved from London to Glasgow when he was a child.

Thanks for the info Jaggy. I remember reading or hearing that when he was near is end he asked his son for a whisky, drank it and said ' i've had enough' and died. He was in his 90s ?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

Fact is in Ireland today as it has been for the last decade if you want to get any work done on your property you hire an East European.
Even the Irish think that Irish workmen are feckless and lazy.
I once had a gombeen working on a project with me who asked to leave work for a few minutes while he went into town to the bank.He came back three weeks later. " Sorry boss,I stayed for a few pints. "
Hire a Paddy for a job and you can forget Monday morning because he's sleeping off the booze and you can forget Friday afternoon because he's starting on the booze that will make him miss the following Monday morning as well.
Fact is East Europeans are better qualified,more reliable and in the long run cheaper than the Paddies - not because you pay them any less but because they do the job in the time you both agree on.
My wife is Irish and won't allow an Irish workman in the house.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Fact is in Ireland today as it has been for the last decade if you want to get any work done on your property you hire an East European.
I once had a gombeen working on a project with me who asked to leave work for a few minutes while he went into town to the bank.He came back three weeks later. " Sorry boss,I stayed for a few pints. "
Hire a Paddy for a job and you can forget Monday morning because he's sleeping off the booze and you can forget Friday afternoon because he's starting on the booze that will make him miss the following Monday morning as well.
Fact is East Europeans are better qualified,more reliable and in the long run cheaper than the Paddies - not because you pay them any less but because they do the job in the time you both agree on.

The Irish according to Roscoe. I think I'd be shocked if you said anything remotely postive about the Irish nation or people.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
you and your mrs sound like an absolutely perfectly matched couple

Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you and your mrs sound like an absolutely perfectly matched couple
You're right about one thing at last - happily married for 25 years.
Thanks for your regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom