Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What difference does 'suicides' make? Are there no violent gang members in London? You seem to assume that an 'American' is somehow 'different' to a Britain. Do we also take off the suicides from the UK rates?? At the end of the day 30'000 = bad, 70 = MUCH MUCH MUCH better. Your daft gun laws cause thousands of un-necessary deaths - Simples!

If anybody can come up with ANYTHING that can argue against such one sided statistics it would be a bloody miracle!
You seem to assume that the US and UK are the same excepting gun laws. Firstly you'd need to realize and accept that increased gun control in the UK did not lead to reduced homicide rates. I've tried this with you before and you choose to willfully ignore the data. So I'll not bother unless you specifically ask me to explain, and have an open mind.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,055 times
Quote:
What difference does 'suicides' make?
Quite simply, suicides have no place in a discussion of gun crime and gun violence. It is neither a crime, nor is it violence. It is a case of a human being seeking to end their own life - a basic human right.

Quote:
Are there no violent gang members in London? You seem to assume that an 'American' is somehow 'different' to a Britain.
London's rising murder rate (greater than New York's, the last I checked) is clear evidence that London has a problem with gangs and street crime. However, it pales in comparison to ours. We have 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 gang members in the United States. They are ruthless, predatory and violent to the core.

Quote:
Your daft gun laws cause thousands of un-necessary deaths - Simples!

If anybody can come up with ANYTHING that can argue against such one sided statistics it would be a bloody miracle!
No, our gun laws have not caused a single unnecessary death. Those deaths are caused by criminals. Besides the fact that murder is already illegal (and punishable by death), they still happen. You'll find that the vast majority of the people who kill people with guns did so with an illegal weapon that they were carrying illegally. Breaking law after law after law, it's almost as if these criminals refuse to follow the laws! So you know what will solve the problem? More laws!

When President Clinton was considering tackling gun control early in his first term, President Carter’s press secretary, Jody Powell, sent him this memo. It’s a rare example of an influential Democrat admitting the truth about gun control laws:

“As much as I hate to say it, the NRA is effective primarily because it is largely right when it claims that most gun control laws inconvenience and threaten the law-abiding while having little or no impact on violent crime or criminals. I support registration in principle, but two questions need to be asked. Are the people causing the problem going to comply voluntarily? If not, do you have a way to effectively enforce compliance?"

Quote:
Correlation does not imply causation. I can show you nations with gun laws that are equally, if not more permissive than the United States, yet they have much lower gun murder rates. I can also show you nations with exceptionally tough gun laws which have gun murder rates nearly 10x the United States' rate.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So if Americans are such intrinsically violent people, probably they shouldn't have access to guns! We're supposedly a violent society already; why put guns into the hands of these violent people and make it even worse.
We are not an intrinsically violent society. We have a small subset of our society that is violent. Gang members, drug dealers and street criminals. If you were to create a Venn diagram of gun criminals and NRA members, you'd find that there is almost zero overlap. That's the whole point of the pro-gun argument: Why do people want to take away the constitutionally mandated right to bear arms from law-abiding gun owners because of the actions of unrepentant criminals who are already banned from possessing guns? It literally makes no sense.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:36 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,487,236 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CoIhl3puuI

Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Yes that's the price of freedom.
Those who surrender freedom for safety end up with neither.

I know many who were forced to surrender their guns in england, now they wish they had them back.

Having invited an insane middle eastern hoard into England there are now no go areas for English people. Whats the odds of that in america?
Zero.
Thanks to Trump.
Not thanks to the idiot liberals.
Oh, for heaven's sake you utter muppet, just listen to yourself! "Insane middle eastern hoard?", "no go areas"? Just a tiny little bit of research out of your Trump/Fox news bubble would demonstrate what absolute crap you're spouting. Please show me - someone who has lived in London for well over forty years - where this terrible hoard is? You can't possibly mean the hard-working, tolerant people whom contribute in a hugely positive way to our society? Some of my friends? Some of the people I work with? The people whom run some of my favourite restaurants? And please, please explain to me where I can't go in my own country - just in case, you know, I might accidentally wander into one of these terrifying areas and get my head chopped off?!

I'd be more terrified of encountering such hateful, ignorant, bigoted, stupidity as embodied by the likes of yourself. Cretin.

https://www.facebook.com/thedailymas...0308178078344/

Old 07-21-2018, 01:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Is that you in the video?

Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM

18,536 posts, read 18,779,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You live in Las Vegas, and are worried about coming to England?....... I have visited Las Vegas many times, and you need eyes in the back of your head in many places there.

Honestly, you have nothing to worry about, compared to what you are living with right now.

Unless you never leave Henderson of course.......
always makes me smile too when I see questions about someone safety visiting the UK...

Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,487,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Is that you in the video?

no. the guy in the video is dead

Old 07-22-2018, 12:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,438,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
no. the guy in the video is dead
Someone shoot him?

Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 AM

18,536 posts, read 18,779,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Someone shoot him?
straight to the jugular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom