Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 11:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Watermelon haters UNITE! Until now I thought it was just me, my late uncle, & dh. The texture, lack of taste, the smell! ��

Brits have this good stuff called salad cream. It's nicer than mayo...was good on the potato salad.
I bought some Tesco Salad Cream from the local chain that carries some Tesco products. I didn't care for it. Found it, now don't be offended like a poor mans mayonnaise. I ended up throwing it out.

My current favourite mayonnaise is

Which I would assume is the same that you can get at Tesco which is this

( I think wars have started for less )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 11:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Whaddya mean, lack of taste? It's got a wonderful taste! A good, ripe one, anyway.

I could eat a whole one by myself, I bet. Send it to me.
Believe me - if we're ever at the same backyard BBQ, you can have my portion!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:59 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I bought some Tesco Salad Cream from the local chain that carries some Tesco products. I didn't care for it. Found it, now don't be offended like a poor mans mayonnaise. I ended up throwing it out.

My current favourite mayonnaise is

Which I would assume is the same that you can get at Tesco which is this

( I think wars have started for less )
I second the opinion on salad cream, it's like eating split mayo with several spoons of sugar added.

Mayo's a 5 minute job to make anyway, you don't need to buy it, just an egg yolk, dijon, vinegar (or other acid, like lemon/lime), and an oil. Thing that's cool about doing it in small amounts is you can mix and match vinegars, citrus juices, and oils to make up a mayo that works best for what you're using it on, it can be more or less stiff, and vary in flavor, so a mayo with apple cider vinegar and walnut oil works great on BLTs.

Recommended, learn how to make mayo, makes you look like a superstar, and it's really simple and easy.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:26 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I second the opinion on salad cream, it's like eating split mayo with several spoons of sugar added.

Mayo's a 5 minute job to make anyway, you don't need to buy it, just an egg yolk, dijon, vinegar (or other acid, like lemon/lime), and an oil. Thing that's cool about doing it in small amounts is you can mix and match vinegars, citrus juices, and oils to make up a mayo that works best for what you're using it on, it can be more or less stiff, and vary in flavor, so a mayo with apple cider vinegar and walnut oil works great on BLTs.

Recommended, learn how to make mayo, makes you look like a superstar, and it's really simple and easy.
A chef!

Actually, I've made mayo but I think I just don't like it no matter what. The salad cream is not so thick and gloppy. I can pour it. But, you've put an idea into my head: I can probably make my own salad cream too.

So for our holiday meal today we had potato salad made with salad cream, baked beans that contained tomatoes, and bangers. This is UnAmerican. dh bought the baked beans and he gets the tomato type. And he thinks hotdogs are "bangers." He's finally learned to put mustard on his bangers though, it's so cute. (dessert is brownies--and there are NO ghastly WATERMELONS in sight!)

Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A chef!
Nah... but proves a point I made about making mayo making you look great

Old 05-28-2018, 11:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't recall learning of white southerners making a similar migration out of the South in anywhere close to those numbers (not to say that it didn't happen, just that I don't recall ever coming across such information. I'd be very interested in learning otherwise, though). Its interesting that you refuse to even concede the possibility of African American migration on the introduction of southern cuisine throughout much of the United States; I've acknowledged that it is very plausible (if not likely/certain) that white southerners are to thank for the introduction as well. Claiming that the Detroit and surrounding area migration had zero to do with the spread in Michigan ignores a very plausible possibility that it did. Detroit was/is a large city (then and now). Large cities influence smaller cities/surrounding areas in a number of areas, from cuisine to music, etc. Of course, the opposite is also true, but that's besides the point.
The southern whites came up too, though often in more moderate numbers since they often had better access to the 'good jobs' in the South that gave a reason to stay put. There are plenty of suburbs and small towns that had 'tucky' added to the end of their names in informal conversation as a slur against the working class whites from the South that had moved there. (example- Hazel Park near Detroit got the nickname of Hazeltucky)

Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The southern whites came up too, though often in more moderate numbers since they often had better access to the 'good jobs' in the South that gave a reason to stay put. There are plenty of suburbs and small towns that had 'tucky' added to the end of their names in informal conversation as a slur against the working class whites from the South that had moved there. (example- Hazel Park near Detroit got the nickname of Hazeltucky)
That's not to mention the overwhelming number of Southerners who were original settlers, coming between about 1790 & 1820 during the great Quaker migration.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:58 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
I LOVE salad cream, its not supposed to be an alternative to Mayo, I like Mayo too. Mayo originates from Mahon in Menorca and I had some there once that was bloody lovely!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

After trying several times I finally made a good Hollandaise, which is basically mayo..so I'll give it a go.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
I adore British food - always have. Heading to Cornwall next week for three weeks of eating, in fact. Cannot wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom