Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
When I was looking for information on the planned arrival of Lidl, I found a ton of information about the damage that Aldi & Lidl have done to ASDA & Tesco. Do you think that they've had an effect on how people cook in the UK?
I don't think so because Tesco's did, have and probably always will have far more choice than Aldi or Lidle anyway. Tesco still is the behemouth when it comes to UK shops, some of the stores are the size of some airports! Aldi and Lidle are generally much smaller. I have to say I like shopping in Aldi, sometimes shops can be just 'too big'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think so because Tesco's did, have and probably always will have far more choice than Aldi or Lidle anyway. Tesco still is the behemouth when it comes to UK shops, some of the stores are the size of some airports! Aldi and Lidle are generally much smaller. I have to say I like shopping in Aldi, sometimes shops can be just 'too big'!
Big fan of Aldi and Lidl.My Irish town has both and the variety and quality of food and drink on offer is second to none.
And you'd be amazed how many times I see local restaurant owners in there buying up in bulk ( always early in the morning or late at night when fewer people are about )

Old 06-04-2018, 12:22 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Big fan of Aldi and Lidl.My Irish town has both and the variety and quality of food and drink on offer is second to none.
And you'd be amazed how many times I see local restaurant owners in there buying up in bulk ( always early in the morning or late at night when fewer people are about )
Here Tesco's or Sainsbury's or Asda have much more variety (they're much larger) but I too like the quality of food Aldi offers. Some people turn up their noses because they stock 'less well known' brands but just because its a 'brand' you've never heard of doesn't mean its of lesser quality, in fact I often find the quality better than the 'brand names' you find in the bigger stores!

Old 06-04-2018, 12:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Well, Aldi & Lidl rotate items in constantly, so what they carry, during the course of a year, far exceeds the size of the stores. They frequently will get something in on a weekly special that wouldn't be affordable at a regular supermarket. English Dave mentioned seeing Mexican week at Aldi. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

Aldi & Lidl can afford to take a chance to bring things in, for a week. If it sells well, you know if will be back.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Here Tesco's or Sainsbury's or Asda have much more variety (they're much larger) but I too like the quality of food Aldi offers. Some people turn up their noses because they stock 'less well known' brands but just because its a 'brand' you've never heard of doesn't mean its of lesser quality, in fact I often find the quality better than the 'brand names' you find in the bigger stores!
Asda is owned by Walmart. Walmart has coexisted with Aldi for at least 40 years in the US. Lidl arrived in the US last year. Aldi is remodeling all but the newest stores, adding small additions where possible. Walmart is remodeling stores near new Lidls, which are also near Aldis. It's the combination of Aldi & Lidl that, apparently, makes the difference.

In the US, both Aldis have been operating. Aldi Nord operates as Trader Joe's. Now Lidl has come. Walmart is operating as itself. Walmart is remodeling stores & dropping prices near Aldi & Lidl pairings. It's easy to find articles online about what Aldi & Lidl have done to Asda in the UK.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I've seen Aldi employees stocking shelves with items with Aldi labels, coming out of shipping boxes with major labels printed on them, in the refrigeration area. In the US Aldi & Lidl are what are called box stores, because the box is opened & slid on the shelf for a lot of the stock. We had box stores here, before, but they were frequently not good quality items & the stores weren't very nice to go into.

I should probably ask you if you got Mexican week also.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-04-2018 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 01:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Oh, are you a mind reader? I said I've seen recipes for corn souffles. Who are you to say that I didn't? And just for the record, I've never seen a recipe for corn pudding.
...and I've eaten Corn Souffle. The internet is full of recipes.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...and I've eaten Corn Souffle. The internet is full of recipes.
Thanks. I was backing up someone who was talking about corn souffles & that was the 2nd person to try to tell me that I was talking about something else. It was very irritating.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was backing up someone who was talking about corn souffles & that was the 2nd person to try to tell me that I was talking about something else. It was very irritating.
It really is odd, since Googling " Corn Souffle " before they responded, would of proved it existed.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It really is odd, since Googling " Corn Souffle " before they responded, would of proved it existed.
I didn't even google. I remember when souffles were the "in thing", many years ago. ( right about the same time or just before fondue was "in") I remember seeing souffle recipes in the newspaper all of the time & for no good reason remember seeing recipes for corn souffles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom