Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it stupid to move to the UK now?
Yes, 100% stupid. 2 20.00%
Not necessarily. 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

Specifically Scotland. I'm American, husband is Scottish. There is nothing wrong with our lives here in the USA, but we have lots of family there (some of whom are getting older). No work lined up as of yet, but we're hoping for the best.

Of course now Brexit is happening. We're going to wait to see what happens on Brexit Day before we pull any triggers (sell house, etc) but unless society completely collapses we plan to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 01:39 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotlandbound19 View Post
....Of course now Brexit is happening. We're going to wait to see what happens on Brexit Day before we pull any triggers (sell house, etc) but unless society completely collapses we plan to move.
I wouldn't expect the society to fold, but the conditions under which the UK leaves the EU could have a huge impact on employment opportunities there in the immediate future. I would think that you would be wise to plan on waiting at least six months, if not a year to see what the impact is in general, but specifically on employment opportunities.

Feedback from your family there would be an added advantage.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:23 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,496 times
I am a strong Brexiteer Scotsman but by all means wait a wee bit as the departure is not that far away.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:50 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
LOL society isn't going to 'collapse', in fact I believe the economy in the Uk is growing at a greater rate than the EU right now, it also has lower unemployment and more people working than at any other time in its history. Of course nobody knows what the future holds but I guess I am just trying to point out that all this Brexit scaremongering is just that - scaremongering. Anybody that thinks countries are going to sidestep any opportunities of trade just to 'teach those bloody British' a lesson aren't really thinking it through.

Last edited by easthome; 01-30-2019 at 03:10 PM..

Old 01-31-2019, 03:50 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
LOL society isn't going to 'collapse', in fact I believe the economy in the Uk is growing at a greater rate than the EU right now, it also has lower unemployment and more people working than at any other time in its history. Of course nobody knows what the future holds but I guess I am just trying to point out that all this Brexit scaremongering is just that - scaremongering. Anybody that thinks countries are going to sidestep any opportunities of trade just to 'teach those bloody British' a lesson aren't really thinking it through.
I agree easthome... we can manage just fine Im sure and the rest of Europe wont shut its doors to us ..

Old 01-31-2019, 08:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
....Anybody that thinks countries are going to sidestep any opportunities of trade just to 'teach those bloody British' a lesson aren't really thinking it through.
Of course not, that's the stuff of off-the-walls conspiracy theories.

I expect a crash-out Brexit, and the beginning is going to be a mess on both sides of the channel for awhile. But once each side has its stuff in its own little box of toys they can start the obvious business of looking at each other as two different entities and two different market opportunities. There are many variations of trade treaties and agreements, and the UK and the EU will work one out...because they both want one.

However, just as Wales, for example, cannot attempt a trade treaty with a foreign country that would violate UK customs and tariff laws without getting slapped down by London, neither can a single country in the EU do it either without running afoul of Brussels. And there is an obvious advantage to having an agreement which gives access to the entire market in one instrument.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,621 times
So, is the general consensus that we should wait a few months after 29/3 for the dust to settle? As in, don't put house on market the week after, no matter what happens (good or bad)?

ETA: If everything seems relatively okay, what exactly should we be looking out for in that six or so months we're waiting for?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:24 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
So, is the general consensus that we should wait a few months after 29/3 for the dust to settle? As in, don't put house on market the week after, no matter what happens (good or bad)?

ETA: If everything seems relatively okay, what exactly should we be looking out for in that six or so months we're waiting for?
The great thing is that its a buyers market in the UK at the moment and if you're looking at buying property you will get more bang for you buck now and possibly more-so in a couple of months with the depreciated pound. However, if you're after job opportunities in order to survive I would seriously plan well in advance.

I would be inclined not to sell your house but to rent your house at and use the money to rent or adjust to life in Scotland to see if its for you.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:54 PM

336 posts, read 147,089 times
Quote:

Forget martial law,food shortages and medicine shortages, it's a buyer's market.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...-in-two-years/

https://www.mov8realestate.com/2018/...s-brexit-2019/

Old 02-01-2019, 01:12 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
While you are waiting, scotlandbound19, I would thoroughly investigate the visa requirements and make sure you have all the required documentation to hand for when you apply for your spouse visa. I think you can't apply for it more than 3 months ahead of the move. Any children would need their UK passports as well as their US passports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom