Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times

Advertisements

Okay, Brits are immigrating more and more. Americans are immigrating more and more as well. Anyone have helpful tips to offer to those immigrating?

Tip for British women immigrating to the States...
When you immigrate to the States you will automatically lose a size in clothing, but gain a size in shoes. So, if you wear a size 12 in clothes in the UK you will become a size 10 in the States. If you wear a size 6 in shoes in the UK you will become a size 8 in the States.

American women going to the UK, its just the opposite. You gain a size in clothing but drop a size in shoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Doesn`t matter really...All women kid themselves and other people about their size anyway..

Old 08-17-2008, 05:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Doesn`t matter really...All women kid themselves and other people about their size anyway..
No comment

Old 08-18-2008, 10:31 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Other tips I would give Americans include:
1) Get used to queueing - it's a lifestyle, not a choice
2) Start learning how to measure in litres, kilos, and Celsius
3) Learn to cook using ounces and pounds or grams and kilos
4) Learn how to figure out what "gas mark x" actually means
5) Read the postings on customer service in the UK
6) Unless you live in an area set up for cable/satellite TV, get used to having just 4 channels
7) Remember that shopping in England is NOT 24/7 and the pubs close at 11

Tips for the Brits
1) People are polite in the US, with the exception of New York , so try not to faint when someone says Hello or holds the door for you
2) Remember sales tax is added on at the cash till - it's not included in the pricetag
3) Learn to measure in pounds and Fahrenheit or just keep a calculator handy for the weather forecast
4) Learn to cook using "cups" as measurements
5) Remember in the US their lightbulbs are screw-in, wall sockets come with 2 flat pinholes and the local voltage is 110
6) Try to learn how to tip. You don't have to go overboard (except in New York) but it's a good idea to start so the waitstaff don't spit in your food every time you visit their restaurant.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times
You forgot one
Learn how to smile - they do that a lot here lol

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
You forgot one
Learn how to smile - they do that a lot here lol
I'm sorry, which country are you talking about?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Other tips I would give Americans include:
1) Get used to queueing - it's a lifestyle, not a choice
2) Start learning how to measure in litres, kilos, and Celsius
3) Learn to cook using ounces and pounds or grams and kilos
4) Learn how to figure out what "gas mark x" actually means
5) Read the postings on customer service in the UK
6) Unless you live in an area set up for cable/satellite TV, get used to having just 4 channels
7) Remember that shopping in England is NOT 24/7 and the pubs close at 11

Tips for the Brits
1) People are polite in the US, with the exception of New York , so try not to faint when someone says Hello or holds the door for you
I always hold the door open for people (man/woman, young/old makes no difference).
2) Remember sales tax is added on at the cash till - it's not included in the pricetag
Hell yes. I always fall foul of that one.

3) Learn to measure in pounds and Fahrenheit or just keep a calculator handy for the weather forecast
I'm illiterate in both measures; I had the misfortune to start school just as we adopted the evil EEC measures so school used a mixture and at home they used the old stuff. I'm still confused today.
4) Learn to cook using "cups" as measurements
I thought you all ate out in the States?
5) Remember in the US their lightbulbs are screw-in, wall sockets come with 2 flat pinholes and the local voltage is 110
How does the plug stay in the wall? It doesn't look safe to me.
6) Try to learn how to tip. You don't have to go overboard (except in New York) but it's a good idea to start so the waitstaff don't spit in your food every time you visit their restaurant.
Bugger. I've got red wine on my shirt now after snorting it out of my nose.
More of these tips please!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,244 times
Quote:
i'm sorry, which country are you talking about?
usa

Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Tips for the Brits
1) I always hold the door open for people (man/woman, young/old makes no difference).
2) Hell yes. I always fall foul of that one.
3) I'm illiterate in both measures; I had the misfortune to start school just as we adopted the evil EEC measures so school used a mixture and at home they used the old stuff. I'm still confused today. Dead easy: temp is 72F so subtract 32, divide by 9 and multiply by 5. That gives you the Celsius.
4) I thought you all ate out in the States? Not since we all lost our money on property!
5) How does the plug stay in the wall? It doesn't look safe to me. One pin is slightly larger and kinda hooks into the hole.
6) Bugger. I've got red wine on my shirt now after snorting it out of my nose.

More of these tips please!
What else? If you're moving anywhere other than the east or west coast, do some research on the area. There's a whole section down the middle of the country that does not think, act, dress, talk or do anything like the rest. It's call The Midwest.

If you're single, learn the rules of dating in the US. It's not like the UK, trust me.

When watching the news, be prepared to realise that there no other countries in the world outside the US. They simply don't exist. The International news minute on CNN talks about Canada and usually runs 40 seconds if you're lucky.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
Quote:
There's a whole section down the middle of the country that does not think, act, dress, talk or do anything like the rest. It's call The Midwest.
Sounds good to me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom