Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 28,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I am an American who is really fed up with the Bush administration and I am getting to be quite concerned that we will end up with a continuation of his policies if McCain/Palin win. Palin seems to have really energized the right-wing nutcase base of the Republican party.
How hard would it be to get a residency permit? I do need to work for a living.
Dont even think about it, I did exactly that 4 years ago (damm voters never learn, they had to re-elect it) and now I am ready to go back in another year

UK is over-priced, beeing asked to bend over every time you buy anything gets old quick.

Stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
knitgirl, I have been trying for years to move to the UK for various reasons. I have not had any success being a skilled worker or otherwise. The new point system referred to by another poster might work, I don't know. Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 13,450 times
On the defense here, I'd say the reason you don't see much "American Immigration" is because the majority of Americans are not eager to go and live in Foreign Countries, including the UK, particularly England.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:44 AM

13 posts, read 33,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPaulGirl View Post
On the defense here, I'd say the reason you don't see much "American Immigration" is because the majority of Americans are not eager to go and live in Foreign Countries, including the UK, particularly England.
PS, knitgirl, if you knew what europeans and british generally think of American girls your age, you might not want to go...then again maybe you would

Old 09-19-2008, 12:06 PM

318 posts, read 934,361 times
All I can say is Knitgirl do research and lots of it just don't rely on pictures and what you see on TV also the Government at the minute is not in a good spot just like Bush with its own party walking out etc. I was the other way I wanted to get my a$$ out of the UK and into the US and have achieved this but did a lot of research as well as visiting many times before and I wouldn't change it for anywhere else on earth.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPaulGirl View Post
Americans don't have economic reasons to move here. Actually living in England is like living in gentel poverty. Everyone I know is here because of their job transfers, marriage or the chance to experience the UK for a few years.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:57 AM

9 posts, read 38,263 times
You are joking of course about the US allowing anyone in aren't you? Try being British! It cost me and my family over $50,000 to get her legally, through the red tape and eventually getting a Green card on an L1 visa. People who have invested their life savings in buying houses and businesses here and have had to come on an E2 visa will never get a Green Card, therefore, when their children reach 21 they are deported. A visa extension is given for 2 to 5 years and they have to return back to the UK for an interview at the American Embassy and they are the ones that decide whether a further visa will be granted or not. If its not granted, they are not even allowed to return. Its exactly the same for the US residents wanting to live in the UK - don't think for one minute that everyone is treated alike.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach babe View Post
You are joking of course about the US allowing anyone in aren't you? Try being British! It cost me and my family over $50,000 to get her legally, through the red tape and eventually getting a Green card on an L1 visa. People who have invested their life savings in buying houses and businesses here and have had to come on an E2 visa will never get a Green Card, therefore, when their children reach 21 they are deported. A visa extension is given for 2 to 5 years and they have to return back to the UK for an interview at the American Embassy and they are the ones that decide whether a further visa will be granted or not. If its not granted, they are not even allowed to return.

Its exactly the same for the US residents wanting to live in the UK - don't think for one minute that everyone is treated alike.
I think some Americans have a hard time seeing and understanding anything else beyond the ongoing Immigration rage/debate. It just shows, that so many of these "immigration armchair/cyber warriors" only engage themselves in the debate and furor because they need something to be angry about.

Don't you know there's nothing better than kicking others to make you feel better about yourself?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:12 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The deal breaker for me is the out of control drinking over there -- YUCK. It's not all castles and gorgeous countryside.
I know this is a problem only from the campaigns I've seen to reduce it but honestly, you don't really encounter it much unless you lead an active night life yourself. I live in the city and you get the drunken loud idiots outside your apartment building sometimes but it's not excessive. I don't know what the statistics are like but in reality, the drinking in England seems no more excessive than when I lived in PA.

Now, if we're talking about Blackpool specifically, I would agree it's a "yuck" level of out of control drinking. But honestly, if it weren't for all the campaigns I would have no clue that drinking was "out of control" in comparison to the States. It hasn't effect me at all.

My personal opinion is to not allow politics to determine where you live. I miss my family in PA, I miss my home. I would do anything to move back to the States, not because of anything to do with politics or government. I know everyone is different but personally, my home is my home regardless of the government.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 25,981 times
It is certainly not easy to get LEGAL permanent residence status in the USA. My parents are both doctors, and my family has been in the states for over 10 years. We are finally applying for citizenship this year (too late to vote in the 08 election sadly!). Before we could apply for Green Cards (which took 3yrs), my dad had to move back to the UK for 3 months for legal reasons. We thought we could get our Green Cards in Washington DC (at the time we only lived 2 hrs away), but found out we would have to go back to London to get them, so had to completely change plans at the last minute. I'm now at university in the UK, and I get questioned/almost threatened by Immigration officers every time I return to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom