Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Depends, many people think the Irish and Scottish are more similar in terms of the way they behave abroad and are generally more liked and considered friendlier compared to the English however i agree a little bit but when i have been abroad we've never had a problem with English folk we tend not to judge on where people come from but take them as we find them attitude.

Limeys? I take it your talking about English people then.
Having lived abroad spending many years in Europe and the USA, I really have never noticed any significant difference in the behaviour of English, Scots, Welsh or Irish. I certainly don't think Scots & Irish are friendlier or, for that matter, worse behaved than the English.

I do think, for historical reasons, Scots and Irish can be better accepted than the English. Much of this is to do with the hangover of English dominance in the 19th and early 20th centuries and it really does depend on where you are. For example, being a Scot in Norway was a definite plus (I spent two months working in Oslo) ... a bit like being semi-Scandinavian. I should imagine that being Irish in Boston is a plus too. Then again, I was in Malta one time where many people regretted that the "English" had ever left.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Limey means British.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 PM

132 posts, read 370,251 times
Quote:
Yes, the English.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Depends, many people think the Irish and Scottish are more similar in terms of the way they behave abroad and are generally more liked and considered friendlier compared to the English however i agree a little bit but when i have been abroad we've never had a problem with English folk we tend not to judge on where people come from but take them as we find them attitude.

My wife has just spent a week working in Edinburgh - she found it be no different than any other British city - in any way.

Limeys is a term that comes from Limes disease that was brought over on the boats to the US.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
No, "limey" comes from the custom of the British Navy at one time to carry limes on board its vessels during long voyages in order to prevent scurvey (acute Vit C deficiency syndrome). Scurvey was at one time a serious problem on long ocean journeys, such as to Australia.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:10 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
No, "limey" comes from the custom of the British Navy at one time to carry limes on board its vessels during long voyages in order to prevent scurvey (acute Vit C deficiency syndrome). Scurvey was at one time a serious problem on long ocean journeys, such as to Australia.

I stand corrected

Old 10-10-2009, 11:30 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Maybe rudeness isn't the term that should be used. Individual rudeness exists in all cultures but it could have a different intepretation. In Arab culture showing the bottom of one's shoe is rude. In the US anyone who doesn't chat incessantly and smile is in danger of being considered aloof. And on it goes.

Whole cultures have learned behavior patterns--eastern cultures don't have the "smile" but doesn't mean they are rude. American can be pushy because they have a culture of aggressiveness--the pioneer attitude--but don't mean any disrespect. The British are reserved (which I happen to like) but not unfriendly. In fact, in general, I have always found Londoners to be extremely helpful.

So--identifying rudeness is really an impossible task using anecdote coupled with one's own cultural biases. Better to reserve judgement, be aware of cultural differences, have a positive attitude, and see people as individuals not as their cultural stereotype. I do think that would make for a happier trip to foreign lands.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 PM

132 posts, read 370,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
In the US anyone who doesn't chat incessantly and smile is in danger of being considered aloof. And on it goes.

American can be pushy because they have a culture of aggressiveness--the pioneer attitude--but don't mean any disrespect.
As a reserved American, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, the old American pioneer spirit, is replaced with more and more arrogance and boorishness. Smile for the camera now, lest anybody think you're unhappy! In which case, we've got a pill for that!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Having lived abroad spending many years in Europe and the USA, I really have never noticed any significant difference in the behaviour of English, Scots, Welsh or Irish. I certainly don't think Scots & Irish are friendlier or, for that matter, worse behaved than the English.

I do think, for historical reasons, Scots and Irish can be better accepted than the English. Much of this is to do with the hangover of English dominance in the 19th and early 20th centuries and it really does depend on where you are. For example, being a Scot in Norway was a definite plus (I spent two months working in Oslo) ... a bit like being semi-Scandinavian. I should imagine that being Irish in Boston is a plus too. Then again, I was in Malta one time where many people regretted that the "English" had ever left.
I guess it all boils down to peoples perspective and culture.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Maybe rudeness isn't the term that should be used. Individual rudeness exists in all cultures but it could have a different intepretation. In Arab culture showing the bottom of one's shoe is rude. In the US anyone who doesn't chat incessantly and smile is in danger of being considered aloof. And on it goes.

Whole cultures have learned behavior patterns--eastern cultures don't have the "smile" but doesn't mean they are rude. American can be pushy because they have a culture of aggressiveness--the pioneer attitude--but don't mean any disrespect. The British are reserved (which I happen to like) but not unfriendly. In fact, in general, I have always found Londoners to be extremely helpful.

So--identifying rudeness is really an impossible task using anecdote coupled with one's own cultural biases. Better to reserve judgement, be aware of cultural differences, have a positive attitude, and see people as individuals not as their cultural stereotype. I do think that would make for a happier trip to foreign lands.
Now you are somebody after my own heart - I feel some reps coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom