Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
For the billionth time, no one is trying to claim otherwise.
It's comical isn't it.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Ulsters don't consider themselves Irish.. they claim loyalty to the Queen up in Northern Ireland and their ancestors come from Britain. Their monetary and political systems are different than the Republic's. Their roads are certainly better to drive on and even the price of groceries is cheaper).

I certainly wouldn't claim to understand "the Troubles" because I didn't grow up there and wouldn't dare bring up something so complex and that I don't fully understand. You would be foolish to bring it up yourself.

If you were born and raised in America, then you are American (you can claim whatever heritage/lineage you like, but it doesn't change the fact)

As for the drinking.. Sure, there's an awful lot of binge drinking in Ireland among it's youth. You will also find heavy drinking in Russia, Poland, Eastern Europe, America, Britain, and in many parts of the world. It's not unique to Ireland. Alcohol ruins many lives all over the world and you don't have to be Irish to be an alcoholic or a binge drinker.
Actually, Ireland has the highest rate of alcohol consumption in world (http://www.jesuit.ie/news-pressreleases_addiction.html - broken link).

But thanks for coming all the way over "from Ireland", to the "the Bay Area", to lecture us about alcoholism, what's "foolish", and to tell us who the "real" Irish, Italians, Scots, etc. are.

Unfortunately, while you may know something about Ireland, it's clear you still have alot to learn about America.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I never claimed to know about Scottish or Italian culture. I never lived there. (Did spend holiday in Scotland though)

And since I am an American, born and bred (parents and grandparents also) ..please tell me what I don't know about it my country. What don't I understand about being an American?

I obviously hit a nerve with your lack of understanding on the Irish thing. I'm sorry..I wasn't trying to offend you, but when you used a poor example to back up a point your trying to make about something that you seem to know very little about, I felt the need to correct you on a couple of points. You shouldn't get your knickers in a twist about it.

I don't really think the premise of the thread is about alcohol consumption.

I just hear a lot of Irish Americans proclaiming their "Irishness" when they don't really know what that means outside of the American stereotypes of Irish culture. That's all I'm saying.. If you want to blame alcoholic tendencies in America on someone's Irish lineage, I just think it's a poor stereotype to trivialize it as an Irish thing..

Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I just hear a lot of Irish Americans proclaiming their "Irishness" when they don't really know what that means outside of the American stereotypes of Irish culture.
Oh really? Thanks for clearing that up. We didn't understand what you meant the first 500 times you stated the same exact thing.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Oh really? Thanks for clearing that up. We didn't understand what you meant the first 500 times you stated the same exact thing.
Well, sorry..I'm not sure which one of heritages I need to blame my redundancy on.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Well, sorry..I'm not sure which one of heritages I need to blame my redundancy on.
I'd guess boredovia

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM

250 posts, read 737,629 times
Going with the OP's questions and since one cannot answer it without generalizing here goes. (just for fun)

To me when I think of the Irish I think of a people who are lyrical wordsmiths in their own right. Whether playwrights, poets or tellers of tall tales they have the gift of the pen and the gab.

The Welsh sing in chorus their hopes and sorrows. We are also fine stage actors and train our sheep to stay on the hills without need for fences.

The Scots, well you lovely people are the thinkers and practical doers. You are not known for spendthrift ways but on the other hand you are well known for your whiskey.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:30 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
I agree with most of the points Clongirl makes. Most of those who consider themselves Irish Americans really know very little about the reality of Ireland. The same is true of those who consider themselves Scottish Americans. In truth, Irish/Polish/Scottish/Finnish/Russian/etc. Americans have much more of a shared culture with each other than they have with the country of their distant origin.

It seems to be fashionable to be "Irish" these days. You get the same thing in the West of Scotland with the descendents of Irish immigrants vying to be more Irish than the Irish. We call them "plastic paddies".

Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That said, I will be applying to British Citizenship in September and then you can all eat it because I really will be English! LOL
I'm not sure that being English is something to aspire to

Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
Going with the OP's questions and since one cannot answer it without generalizing here goes. (just for fun)

To me when I think of the Irish I think of a people who are lyrical wordsmiths in their own right. Whether playwrights, poets or tellers of tall tales they have the gift of the pen and the gab.

The Welsh sing in chorus their hopes and sorrows. We are also fine stage actors and train our sheep to stay on the hills without need for fences.

The Scots, well you lovely people are the thinkers and practical doers. You are not known for spendthrift ways but on the other hand you are well known for your whiskey.
Just for fun...a must see..can't comment on whether it's actually real or not but amazing nevertheless. I think it was done in Wales.

YouTube - Extreme Sheep LED Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom