Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times

Advertisements

If that is what gives me Top Gear, Robin Hood, and Merlin all 1 entire hour in length and commercial free, I like it.

Top Gear was terrible when they tried to bring it to American TV with 1/3 of every episode edited out for commercials.

ALso.... BBC World News > CNN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 10:32 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,663 times
I`ve said what I think is great about the BBC.
Your turn now, all with objections to it, to tell us what is great about other networks..
Let`s have the positives to back up your arguments. I respect opinions.
But be careful. It`s very easy to disprove things that are tried to be passed off as facts these days. I can back my opinions with facts. Make sure you can..

Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The BBC is an old boys club of overpaid executives, and talantless morons like Johnothan Ross, Chris Moyles etc

Ever think that not everybody likes what you like Ian?

The documentaries can't be beaten, but I'd rather have commercials than pay a mandatory licence.
God no! I can't abide watching commercial t.v. - at least SKY shows films without them I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
You're right The BBC is not as highly regarded as some claim it is. Compared to other channels it's arcane. I think some people just have a hard time understaning that the "Great" in Britian, doesn't apply to every facet of British life.
Raggy why do you still live here? I know what you've said about your business but really what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It's just another excuse to bleed more money out of the British public. The tax sucks here.
I can think of some bigger leeches than the BBC Scotslass.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I can think of some bigger leeches than the BBC Scotslass.
Like who? What springs to my mind is the government. They tax the hell out of us.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:58 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
I sure do, Gawd bless her!..
Did you ever stop to think the US networks may have been that way because it was a US election??, and could it have been more Americans were interested than us Brits?? Although I can see the attraction for US wannabees...

No, what a silly point. Should the BBC's coverage of the situation in Zimbabwe, or Mumbai expected to be less quality than local networks because it is a foreign affair?? Jeeez

Old 12-06-2008, 02:21 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Raggy why do you still live here? I know what you've said about your business but really what's the point?

You need to worry less about my life, how I think and where I should live.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Is the BBC the only station england has?

P.S what happened jon ross is completely unfair especially since people pay to watch him

Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post

P.S what happened jon ross is completely unfair especially since people pay to watch him
Ross deserved his comupins, it was only matter of time before he really insulted someone...he's a **** along Brand.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 AM

183 posts, read 396,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post

No, The UK (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales), all have the BBC in which you have no choice but to pay the licence fee. If you have a TV in your home, you must have a licence and that's what funds the BBC. The BBC have various TV channels on analogue and digital (cable) services.

We also have ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 which are commercial stations funded by advertising. They too have the standard channels and some that can be picked up on satellite or cable.

Jonathan Ross got what he deserved. He is an overpaid under talented jumped up TV presenter. And people don't have the choice to pay for him or not. Under the licence fee you pay regardless of what the BBC show.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times
Just to make things a bit lighter and amuse you I tell you what happened to us when we returned to the UK in 1997. We did not have a TV and did not want one.
Well, we were literally arrassed by the TV licensing department about paying the licence and they could not believe we did not have a TV.

In the end they sent an inspector on a Sunday afternoon in the hope to catch us out watching TV!!!

As for the BBC, it might not be the most exciting TV channel in the world but after having lived in Spain 4 years I would happily pay the TV licence and have BBC any day.

Here the quality of programmes is appalling and every interruption for commencials can last up to 15 minutes!!!! Try and watch a programme with 5 or 6 such interruptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom