Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM

271 posts, read 1,236,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
I agree we pay more taxes here in the US.
Yep, I agree, having lived in both the US and England.

There are many taxes in the US, at all federal/state/county/city levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:03 PM

163 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Actually, the UK has THE highest per capita debt in the world.

Correct

Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM

238 posts, read 624,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
$400 you say?

Well, doctors do earn a salary, last time I looked. Prescription drugs do not grow on trees- rather they are the beneficial result of years of research, trials and government approval.

No approvals with the NHS? Oh, that is not true. I know people who required fertility treatments so as to have children (a fading commodity in the UK). The NHS gave them a wait that was so long, they would be too old to bear children. Good grief! Who could possibly sanction such a nightmare?

Perhaps I am just a sentimental Yank, but $400 to cover myself, spouse and children sounds like $400 well spent. Or is the money better spent on TVs, junk food or the like? Or should I allow the same clowns who run the Motor Vehicles dept to collect it via tax and tell me how to proceed with my medical needs?

To that I say......No Thonx.
To put that $400 in perspective. A UK driver who uses about 20 (U.S.) gallons a week, will pay that much in fuel taxes.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,132 times
Are our taxes wasted on the "dysfunctional NHS" or would you like to have your medical needs dictated by an insurance company, instead of your doctor?
Have a look at a 60 minutes program called "Healthcare fails US workers" it's on youtube.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Are our taxes wasted on the "dysfunctional NHS" or would you like to have your medical needs dictated by an insurance company, instead of your doctor?
Have a look at a 60 minutes program called "Healthcare fails US workers" it's on youtube.

Its easy to complain about the NHS, but I for one would not want to be without it. Every time I have needed something, I have always been looked after... an certainly not had to worry if my 'insurance' would cover it.

At the very least, healthcare is a right in the UK, and not a luxery.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,132 times
I agree Ian, after watching that 60 minutes program.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 AM

18 posts, read 46,646 times
That is $400 as hubbys work covers the rest. If w had to pay cobra we are looking at over $1000. Yes its a ridiculous amount Dr get over paid, hospitals bill from all departments. Lets not also forget you then have to pay for dental insurance $46 a month.Not even kids get free dental care.

Lets see trip to emergency room, you get billed by hospital for room and dr services, then you get a charge from the clinic for using their dr. Then you get charged from lab for them drawing blood, oh lets not forget thats not covering the cost of the blood test thats just their fee. Then lets pop over to xray, oh u pay someone to take the xray, then pay another dr to read the file. Its greed. I went to one hospital, one visit, i want one bill.

As for fertility my insurance does not cover it. In the 7 yrs i have been here NONE of the insurance companies cover it. Lets see even medical necessities are not always covered. Eye care being one, yes we get one screening a yr. My son needs eye surgery but its not covered by insurance go figure. Oh and lets not forget hearing tests. Again they are not covered at all. The healthcare system over here is way over rated IMO, which im entitled too as are you.

Then lets see having to pay $157 for a 5 days worth of anitibiotics for my son is ridiculous as we have a deductible to even meet with prescriptions.

I agree yes we should be paying for something, but lets not go over board. Many many americans cannot afford healthcare. So if it means i dont have the luxury of a private room for free healthcare then i know which route im going.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,463 times
I actually had to visit the docs today for an MMR vaccinaton shot. I was in and out in 10 minutes, no paperwork, no bill, no hassle. What could possibly be wrong with that!

Do I mind paying 8% every month and my employer paying another 11%, and not always getting treated well, sure.. but I'd choose to pay it if it means that I never have to worry about receiving necessary treatment. If I could afford the US standard of healthcare then I would take it, but its not worth the risk of losing the necessary insurance.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I actually had to visit the docs today for an MMR vaccinaton shot. I was in and out in 10 minutes, no paperwork, no bill, no hassle. What could possibly be wrong with that!

Do I mind paying 8% every month and my employer paying another 11%, and not always getting treated well, sure.. but I'd choose to pay it if it means that I never have to worry about receiving necessary treatment. If I could afford the US standard of healthcare then I would take it, but its not worth the risk of losing the necessary insurance.
My fiance couldn't believe that you could visit a doctor for free and having the NHS, compared to what he had in the U.S. With my Mothers illnesses in the past im sure we'd be up to our necks in debt...I hate bureaucracy.

I've got a blood test in a few weeks along with some immunisations....I ain't looking forward to it. (for nursing)

Ah well, I'll try not to cry...

Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 AM

14 posts, read 46,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have often heard that in england the citizens are taxed & taxed & taxed again.Why isnt anything done about it & who supports the queen,her servents,workers,guards & palaces,etc... ? It just seems that the british govt would impose a breathing tax if they could & they totally control the people.I guess living in america isnt too bad after all.Oh...who pays for the queens fancy parties ? I watched a documentary on pbs about the queen & it seems her life as well as the royal families have been quite comfy.
The British (and I am one but I lived in the US for a long time) are a defeated and hopeless people. They have been living under the rule of their inbred and cruel monarchy so long that any will to resist has been completely destroyed. You are correct, the British are overtaxed, and the 'services' we pay for with those taxes are very poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom