Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM

57 posts, read 188,402 times

Advertisements

Currently I am a teacher in Colorado, and I have been contemplating the idea to move to the UK (specifically scotland, where my great grandparents are from) to teach.

What is the possibility of getting a teaching job if I am certified in the US?

When is a good time to start applying to schools in the UK?

Where are some good placed for Mid 20's aged people to look to live and have a social life along with their job?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
There is a shortage of high school maths/science teachers in the UK so if that's what you teach getting a work permit should be fairly easy. If you teach anything else it will be much more difficult perhaps impossible. Check out the following UK Border Agency | Home Page

Old 04-30-2009, 04:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
Currently I am a teacher in Colorado, and I have been contemplating the idea to move to the UK (specifically scotland, where my great grandparents are from) to teach.

What is the possibility of getting a teaching job if I am certified in the US?

When is a good time to start applying to schools in the UK?

Where are some good placed for Mid 20's aged people to look to live and have a social life along with their job?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
I f you can get a job and obtain a work permit and you want to move to Scotland, I woud recommend Edinburgh a beautiful and vibrant grande dame of a city. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in Europe, beautiful , and architecturally and culturally brilliant. It is far more cosmopolitan than Glasgow despite being a lot smaller ( though Glasgow will be much better for you if you are a night-club party animal as it is more trendy which in your mid 20syou might be ).

Edinburgh is classy , elegant and has a lovely laid back atmosphere with lots of pavement cafes, great little restaurants, excellent museums and art galleries and a wealth of antiquarian book-shops, and lovely independent shops. And brilliant pubs. It is very vibrant and the good Universities mean a lot of young people too.

I lived just outside Glasgow for almost 5 years and hated it with a passion. Glaswegians were incredibly closed to new people and really quite rude and we never managed to meet anyone. Five minutes in Edinburgh and we had dozens of phones numbers... We used to drive to Edinburgh all the time to escape Glasgow.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:56 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I f you can get a job and obtain a work permit and you want to move to Scotland, I woud recommend Edinburgh a beautiful and vibrant grande dame of a city. Edinburgh is one of my favourite cities in Europe, beautiful , and architecturally and culturally brilliant. It is far more cosmopolitan than Glasgow despite being a lot smaller ( though Glasgow will be much better for you if you are a night-club party animal as it is more trendy which in your mid 20syou might be ).

Edinburgh is classy , elegant and has a lovely laid back atmosphere with lots of pavement cafes, great little restaurants, excellent museums and art galleries and a wealth of antiquarian book-shops, and lovely independent shops. And brilliant pubs. It is very vibrant and the good Universities mean a lot of young people too.

I lived just outside Glasgow for almost 5 years and hated it with a passion. Glaswegians were incredibly closed to new people and really quite rude and we never managed to meet anyone. Five minutes in Edinburgh and we had dozens of phones numbers... We used to drive to Edinburgh all the time to escape Glasgow.
Hey now, we're not all like that. Dont give the lass a bad impression let her come and see for herself without judgement. That is the best way.

Glasgow to me having lived here for 22 years is a great place to visit, you get friendly and unfriendly people everywhere. I am Scottish and could never really judge based on a city. I'm 20 miles from Glasgow i live in a small village and the people in my area are nicer than anywhere i've ever been we're very close knit and open.

Pleanty of jobs here in Renfrewshire.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM

337 posts, read 793,946 times
I'll give Glasgow some props. Two of my best friends that I made when I lived in England were from there. they were welcoming and made a Yank feel at Home. Of course there was the accents...

But after a while...I could actually understand them...

Old 04-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustabuckeye View Post
I'll give Glasgow some props. Two of my best friends that I made when I lived in England were from there. they were welcoming and made a Yank feel at Home. Of course there was the accents...

But after a while...I could actually understand them...
It's not that hard to understand lol. I had no probs understanding the southern accent and my in laws never had a problem with mine.

Scottish people are very friendly, i met a girl from NJ last night at the beer fest she was lovely. She's been here for 27 years.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hey now, we're not all like that. Dont give the lass a bad impression let her come and see for herself without judgement. That is the best way.

Glasgow to me having lived here for 22 years is a great place to visit, you get friendly and unfriendly people everywhere. I am Scottish and could never really judge based on a city. I'm 20 miles from Glasgow i live in a small village and the people in my area are nicer than anywhere i've ever been we're very close knit and open.

Pleanty of jobs here in Renfrewshire.
You're a very friendly RENFREWSHIRE Lass though which as far as I'm concerned is not Glasgow at all.

I know I obviously had bitter experiences but 5 years is quite a decent amount of time to decide whether a place is friendly or not. Maybe it was because I sound English and my fiance is English but as you know my experiences in Glasgow were really pretty awful. I consider myself pretty easy to get along with and have friends from all over the world,Glasgow I never manage to crack.

Obviously I know it is a gross over-generalisation as I did not meet every single Glaswegian but I would say Edinburgh is way more cosmopolitan and I don't mean the tourists.

As you know I adore Scotland and am very fond of Scots too ( I love the no-nonsense very straightforward attitude and I find most Scots genuine and very warm) but I stand by my loathing of Glasgow nonetheless. There are things I do miss about the city but though I would move to Edinburgh tomorrow without even having to think about it, Glasgow, never again.

As mentioned before with Bordeaux ( most ridiculously bourgeois and snobby city anywhere with the exception of Vienna) , Glasgow is the only place which has truly defeated me. Hence the slight dislike !

Renfrewshire is lovely, as are the Borders, Fife, The Highlands and Islands, Argyle etc... My sole problem is with Glasgow.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You're a very friendly RENFREWSHIRE Lass though which as far as I'm concerned is not Glasgow at all.

I know I obviously had bitter experiences but 5 years is quite a decent amount of time to decide whether a place is friendly or not. Maybe it was because I sound English and my fiance is English but as you know my experiences in Glasgow were really pretty awful. I consider myself pretty easy to get along with and have friends from all over the world,Glasgow I never manage to crack.

Obviously I know it is a gross over-generalisation as I did not meet every single Glaswegian but I would say Edinburgh is way more cosmopolitan and I don't mean the tourists.

As you know I adore Scotland and am very fond of Scots too ( I love the no-nonsense very straightforward attitude and I find most Scots genuine and very warm) but I stand by my loathing of Glasgow nonetheless. There are things I do miss about the city but though I would move to Edinburgh tomorrow without even having to think about it, Glasgow, never again.

As mentioned before with Bordeaux ( most ridiculously bourgeois and snobby city anywhere with the exception of Vienna) , Glasgow is the only place which has truly defeated me. Hence the slight dislike !

Renfrewshire is lovely, as are the Borders, Fife, The Highlands and Islands, Argyle etc... My sole problem is with Glasgow.
My cousin lives near Princes street so i visit quite often i find both cities to be really different. Almost like im in another world. As for being young i prefer Glasgow for its chic restaurants, classy nightclubs, array of pubs, excellent shopping but Edinburgh has nice historical points to it and beauty too. My cousin and his girlfriend party in Glasgow even though they live in Edinburgh.

The city centre and west end of Glasgow is probably the nicest areas in my opinion, but im not really a city person i like where I am but Glasgow has qualities too.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My cousin lives near Princes street so i visit quite often i find both cities to be really different. Almost like im in another world. As for being young i prefer Glasgow for its chic restaurants, classy nightclubs, array of pubs, excellent shopping but Edinburgh has nice historical points to it and beauty too. My cousin and his girlfriend party in Glasgow even though they live in Edinburgh.

The city centre and west end of Glasgow is probably the nicest areas in my opinion, but im not really a city person i like where I am but Glasgow has qualities too.
I agree with you that Glasgow is much better if you are young and trendy and a party animal ( I am none of those things , never was in even in my teens or 20s !) .

Edinburgh is better if you are into fabulous Architecture, the Arts, and Cultural pursuits. To me the main downside of edinburgh apart from the millions of tourists is how far it is to the stunning West Coast. If Edinburgh was where Glasgow is I reckon it would be pretty close to perfection , for me anyway.

Glasgow shops are more of the designer-ish/high street type of shops and I prefer small independent shops which Edinburgh has a wealth of. And so many Antiquarian book-stores, Antique shops, great Art Galleries, fantastic restaurants, museums etc... I also love all the distinctive neighbourhoods, all so lovely and almost like little villages within easy reach of the city centre.

Like you I am not a city person and I prefer smaller and historical cities as I find them more comfortable and easier to simply "be" in .

Glasgow does have its own charms, I cannot deny that, some grand civic Victorian buildings, the Burell, the Kelvingrove and some great restaurants too ( if you like seafood by the way and haven't been there yet I would really recommend the newly opened "Crabshak" on Argyle Road ). We went there on our way back to England 2 weeks ago and it was wonderful. Real simple seafood, no fuss , just fresh good ingredients and the crab-cakes are simply the best I have ever had. Ever. Anywhere.

Basically it was almost 100% crab with some seasonings . For a crab-fiend like myself , absolute heaven.

Crabshakk, Glasgow - Cracking Good Food

Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I agree with you that Glasgow is much better if you are young and trendy and a party animal ( I am none of those things , never was in even in my teens or 20s !) .

Edinburgh is better if you are into fabulous Architecture, the Arts, and Cultural pursuits. To me the main downside of edinburgh apart from the millions of tourists is how far it is to the stunning West Coast. If Edinburgh was where Glasgow is I reckon it would be pretty close to perfection , for me anyway.

Glasgow shops are more of the designer-ish/high street type of shops and I prefer small independent shops which Edinburgh has a wealth of. And so many Antiquarian book-stores, Antique shops, great Art Galleries, fantastic restaurants, museums etc... I also love all the distinctive neighbourhoods, all so lovely and almost like little villages within easy reach of the city centre.

Like you I am not a city person and I prefer smaller and historical cities as I find them more comfortable and easier to simply "be" in .

Glasgow does have its own charms, I cannot deny that, some grand civic Victorian buildings, the Burell, the Kelvingrove and some great restaurants too ( if you like seafood by the way and haven't been there yet I would really recommend the newly opened "Crabshak" on Argyle Road ). We went there on our way back to England 2 weeks ago and it was wonderful. Real simple seafood, no fuss , just fresh good ingredients and the crab-cakes are simply the best I have ever had. Ever. Anywhere.

Basically it was almost 100% crab with some seasonings . For a crab-fiend like myself , absolute heaven.

Crabshakk, Glasgow - Cracking Good Food

The west rules
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom