Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,523,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pike Place wouldn't generally be considered the CBD, however. The CBD is kind of sterile. I still like it, in it's cold glass towers sense, but it's not someplace I'd like to live.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=seatt...15.95,,0,-9.91
Obligatory Starbucks in every skyscraper. Sterile, but nice.

Pioneer Square is still my favorite least sterile place in Seattle, however.
The ID is my favorite not sterile Seattle place.

I would consider Pike Place in the CBD, but hey - it's NBD.

I like the Starbucks in the Columbia tower:

http://www.seattlerex.com/wp-content...s3-600x450.jpg

Last edited by nei; 02-28-2013 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
I wasn't talking about pikes, when I say downtown I'm referring to CBD's.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Pike Place is definitely in downtown. Downtown Seattle includes Belltown, Pioneer Square, Denny Triangle, CBD/Commercial Corridor, ID, and First Hill.

If you just mean, CBD/CC and maybe First Hill, I'd agree it's kind of sterile. Denny Triangle is sort of getting that way, but it's still got places like 5-Points.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-28-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM

I thought DT Seattle was only 1.4 square miles?

If it is bigger... hmm... I have seen sometimes smaller cities like to over reach the size of their downtowns, where as bigger cities often only consider cbd/financial districts and such as their downtown.

I've seen people comment on how Seattle downtown is more vibrant than Chicago, which I think is a complete farce, or extended it's boundaries.. So I am very skeptical of these claims.

Last edited by grapico; 02-28-2013 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Sounds about right. And than includes those neighborhoods I just listed. Seattle's a pretty small city, certainly compared to Chicago. Seattle doesn't really give a sh-- about being more vibrant than NYC; that's a Chicago thing. If it has an inferiority complex, it's to San Francisco, and honestly that's much more a San Francisco theme than Seattle.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
From what I remember, my first impression of Seattle's downtown was quite sterile, much less so once I ventured more to the north and east. The glass office-only areas that someone posted is around the sterile section. It's not the busiest of downtowns but definitely not dead, either.

Had a bit more surface parking than I'm used to seeing, but mostly they or similar dead zones didn't get in the way much. Definitely not Chicago, though.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From what I remember, my first impression of Seattle's downtown was quite sterile, much less so once I ventured more to the north and east. The glass office-only areas that someone posted is around the sterile section. It's not the busiest of downtowns but definitely not dead, either.

Had a bit more surface parking than I'm used to seeing, but mostly they or similar dead zones didn't get in the way much. Definitely not Chicago, though.
Bringing this back, if we are just measuring the true CBD then LA's is pretty sterile too. Though that is definitely not true of the entire area of DTLA.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,753,293 times
By definition, any CBD is sterile. What's exciting about a place where you go to work?

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
By definition, any CBD is sterile. What's exciting about a place where you go to work?
some are far more than others, many have street shops, food carts, street performers, musicians, theaters, shopping districts right in the cbd.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:19 PM

172 posts, read 292,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I thought DT Seattle was only 1.4 square miles?

If it is bigger... hmm... I have seen sometimes smaller cities like to over reach the size of their downtowns, where as bigger cities often only consider cbd/financial districts and such as their downtown.

I've seen people comment on how Seattle downtown is more vibrant than Chicago, which I think is a complete farce, or extended it's boundaries.. So I am very skeptical of these claims.
Seattle's Downtown is much bigger than 1.4 square miles. Really, you have to include Belltown, Pioneer Square, the ID, and even South Lake Union. If you are talk about the urban core, you should also include the Pike/Pine and Broadway portions of Capitol Hill and Lower Queen Anne. I'd say you're talking about 4 square miles of the urban core.

Almost all of this could be considered the urban core (with only part of what they're labeling as "Capitol Hill" being excluded)

http://www.downtownseattle.com/blog/...rhoods-Map.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning