Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I read that urban sprawl does not spur areas that produce culture and identity. Is that true?
It must be, since you read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
People psychologically need cultural identity and will produce it no mater what environment they are in, including cookie-cutter suburbia.

Rather than bashing suburbs for lack of culture however (after all suburban life IS a culture of it's own), I would bash them for failing to foster community pride, positive forms of individualism and group cohesion. Modern suburbia encourage people to turn inward towards their TV instead of outward towards the world and other people around them.
I completely disagree with the above. My suburban community has a lot of community pride. It's hard to quantify, but we were rated #1 by CNN Money a couple of years. I'm not sure what you mean about positive forms of individualism, nor do I understand just what kind of "group cohesion" you're talking about.

One of my favorite examples of community (which I'm sure the urbanistas will bash) is our community's annual pet parade, in conjunction with the Labor Day Weekend Fall Festival. It's so cool to see ordinary kids in the community, with ordinary pets, walking down Main Street while their names and their pet's names are announced. It's only for kids under 12, and my kids did it every year until the "aged out". Each kid got a little prize. Never saw anything like that in "the City".

Likewise, their city-sponsored gymnastics team marched in the Labor Day parade. We also have a December Parade of Lights. My daughter's Girl Scout troop marched in that parade every year until she was out of high school. When we went this year, I got teary-eyed at the little Daisy Girl Scouts walking down the street; it was so cute. People from the community do go to the high school football and basketball games and cheer the team on.

We have a cute little outdoor ice-skating rink that my niece from Denver calls "Norman Rockwellish". Here is a link to a picture of it. We just had a family ice skating party there Sunday.

Boulder Creek Events » WinterSkate

There's a great Friday night festival every weekend in the summer, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, with free bands downtown, and vendors selling food and other goods. There's the city sponsored summer concert in the park series, where people of all ages gather in their lawn chairs to listen to music. There's a community theater group. What more are you looking for in day to day life?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

One of my favorite examples of community (which I'm sure the urbanistas will bash) is our community's annual pet parade, in conjunction with the Labor Day Weekend Fall Festival. It's so cool to see ordinary kids in the community, with ordinary pets, walking down Main Street while their names and their pet's names are announced. It's only for kids under 12, and my kids did it every year until the "aged out". Each kid got a little prize. Never saw anything like that in "the City".
FWIW, we have a similar event called the "Reindog Parade" in the city neighborhood directly adjacent to downtown. You walk down the street with your dog, who is supposed to be wearing those fake reindeer antlers. It is highly attended by adults and kids every year.

This kind of stuff is neat and is part of what makes a community, be it in the city or the suburbs.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Wikipedia "urban sprawl"
If knowledge truly was key to you, you'd understand what I'm talking about. Or at least be willing to investigate.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Yeah, this October we had a dog beauty contest and a dog costume contest downtown, with plenty of ordinary kids and ordinary pets in the community in attendance. The neighborhood businesses had a Halloween trick-or-treat route for kids, and there is an ice skating rink that runs through the holiday season downtown that always brings out a lot of families. Despite the assumptions of some suburbanistas, there are families in city neighborhoods, and kids, and activities for them, as well as activities for grown-ups.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
People psychologically need cultural identity and will produce it no mater what environment they are in, including cookie-cutter suburbia.

Rather than bashing suburbs for lack of culture however (after all suburban life IS a culture of it's own), I would bash them for failing to foster community pride, positive forms of individualism and group cohesion. Modern suburbia encourage people to turn inward towards their TV instead of outward towards the world and other people around them.

And this is the problem and the people who encourage this lifestyle should not be allowed their free speech or be able to promote a lifestyle that does not work because we seen in action that it DOES NOT WORK. In times like this, its when people speak this kind of speech should be censored. If a politician thinks this way, KICK HIM OUT!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Cat View Post
I find its the city's that lack culture. Unless you,re idea of culture is a thug with his paints below his as# with a radio blaring N1gga this or B1ch that....

Wow, where the hell do you live to make such a statement?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Cat View Post
I find its the city's that lack culture. Unless you,re idea of culture is a thug with his paints below his as# with a radio blaring N1gga this or B1ch that....
So is he carrying the radio? Ghetto blaster style?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
FWIW, we have a similar event called the "Reindog Parade" in the city neighborhood directly adjacent to downtown. You walk down the street with your dog, who is supposed to be wearing those fake reindeer antlers. It is highly attended by adults and kids every year.

This kind of stuff is neat and is part of what makes a community, be it in the city or the suburbs.
Yes, it is neat. It's good the cities are catching on to this, instead of having everything oriented towards hipsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
And this is the problem and the people who encourage this lifestyle should not be allowed their free speech or be able to promote a lifestyle that does not work because we seen in action that it DOES NOT WORK. In times like this, its when people speak this kind of speech should be censored. If a politician thinks this way, KICK HIM OUT!
I surely hope this is sarcasm. If not, a reality check is in order.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
So much for the Constitution, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning