Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:55 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What makes anyone think that the general public will still be able to fly when fuel cost get so high that only the very rich or the military will be able to afford to use planes??

That said, why worry about even having, or building, rail to airports?
Air travel will never get that expensive even with fuel. Like a bus an airplane has lots of passengers to split its cost over. Rightnow jet fuel in my area goes for $3.90-7.66 a gallon depending on which airport you get it from. A 737-900ER holds about 7,837 gallons of fuel and 215 people(in 1 class). At 7.66 a gallon that comes to $279 a person to fly 3,265 miles. New York to LA is about 2795 miles. If you make a stop you have even more passengers to split the cost over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I use the light rail Red Line Connection to and from the Portland Airport 2 to 3 times a week. It takes me directly to the Terminal. Its a very convient mode of transportation that gets me to and from work each day. The Red Line connects the airport, downtown and Beaverton. Basically I can get to a number of points on Portland's Rail system. Unfortunately I don't care for this city other than to visit, so I won't be using this rail transit after this year. I'll be out of here. The transit line will be just a fond memory for me though. Well mostly that is. I have always found Portland's transit system seems to be plagued, with a larger percentage of unsavory types and behaviors vs other cities I have been in.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Air travel will never get that expensive even with fuel. Like a bus an airplane has lots of passengers to split its cost over. Rightnow jet fuel in my area goes for $3.90-7.66 a gallon depending on which airport you get it from. A 737-900ER holds about 7,837 gallons of fuel and 215 people(in 1 class). At 7.66 a gallon that comes to $279 a person to fly 3,265 miles. New York to LA is about 2795 miles. If you make a stop you have even more passengers to split the cost over.
It matters not what the fuel cost when little to none will be available for public airplane use.

At the end of the day when fuel becomes scarce the military will take all fuel leaving none for business or civilian use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning