Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
you call this "living on top of each other"?

^ this neighborhood in particular is very walkable and close to public transportation thus a lot of people could live without cars not that I'm suggesting that everyone should it's just that there is an option to not have a car and that's great. It's ironic that people associate driving with freedom... it's actually the opposite.

the reason for crime and ****ty schools in urban areas is due to all that wealth being invested outside the cities in the middle of nowhere in some lakeview/sunshine/valley/village that has zero future and will surely collapse in value once this ponzi scheme of suburbia will end....
Although people possibly could live in the pictured neighborhood w/o cars, it doesn't appear that many of them do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:34 PM

21,967 posts, read 25,327,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Duly noted. I was just giving some reasons why someone migh prefer #1 over #2. We don't all want to live in "gentrified" neighborhoods. You can be sure the original gentrifiers did not find new appiances, furnaces, etc in their homes. And if German Village is a high-end city 'hood, why not use a high-end burb in comparison, not some tract house area?
but.. but..

German Town has a bunch of million and over listings. We wouldn't want to show something like this:

260 South Parkview Ave Bexley, OH 43209 - Google Maps

Yes, really, we're all going to live places like that. Uh, huh. Given German Town's median home price being about five times as much as the median home price in Columbus, OH, you'd think it would be apparent why many people choose not to live there. It looks like a nice neighborhood, though.

Quote:
And here, the view that suburbanites are escaped chattel from the tax-farms of the city. No, we're not, and suburbs are not going away. The reasons for crime and bad schools in urban areas are to be found squarely within those urban areas, not in the suburbs. Reduce the crime, improve the schools, and you'll get some of that suburban population to move back. Try to do it the other way around and you'll only spread blight.
Why you gotta be like that.

That's the great thing about the anti-freedom device, the car. You can live 15-20 minutes out in a nice neighborhood where the median home price isn't $500,000 with good schools and low crime. Someplace like this: 350 Highland Way, Worthington, OH 43085 MLS# 212005162 - Zillow and you can still get to downtown in five minutes longer than it takes someone who is pro-freedom and using public transit. There's certainly options that aren't quite as affluent with slightly higher crime and not so great schools like Grove City.

Those that don't want to use the anti-freedom device are perfectly free not to. They can pay out the nose to live in a gentrified neighborhood and send their kids to private school once they get out of elementary and their price segregation neighborhood doesn't have enough kids living in it to have its own middle or high schools. The price-segregation suburb does, and it does it with a lot less price segregation. It's all priorities. Some people put a higher priority in being close to restaurants, bars, nightlife... others don't. I don't go out all that much anymore like I used to in my early 20s, and when I do it's more likely to be a local bar and grill (they have those in the suburbs) for a few drinks and dinner than to the raunchiest dive bar I can find to get trashed and maybe get lucky.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM

229 posts, read 294,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, great. Everyone just loves living right next to a large school.
yeah what's the problem? Kids can walk to and from school instead of spending hour a day on a school bus...

Quote:
It's always about the car, isn't it. You know, compared to using the NYC MTA, driving in the suburbs really isn't that difficult.
I'm sure I can find a graph where it says clearly that people in the suburbs spend more time on communiting...

and what about the costs? Maintaining a car is much more expensive than using public transportation. As I said, that in that neighborhood above and neighborhoods as such, YOU CAN HAVE A CAR, it's just that you also have an option of not having one!

Quote:
And here, the view that suburbanites are escaped chattel from the tax-farms of the city. No, we're not, and suburbs are not going away. The reasons for crime and bad schools in urban areas are to be found squarely within those urban areas, not in the suburbs. Reduce the crime, improve the schools, and you'll get some of that suburban population to move back. Try to do it the other way around and you'll only spread blight.
how does good urban planning possibly cause bad schools and crime? it's all about demographics. Zion, IL and north chicago are technically suburbs near me yet they have poor schools. Why? Because of certain "demographics" that live there....

if you put people from good schools and low crime into a new urban area, you think test scores would go down and people would start doing crime? this doesn't make any sense

Old 07-15-2012, 05:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 19,285,222 times
Quote:
and what about the costs? Maintaining a car is much more expensive than using public transportation.
In most cases, this difference is dwarfed by the difference in housing prices between similarly-sized units.

Quote:
how does good urban planning possibly cause bad schools and crime?
I didn't say it was planning; I said the problems of bad schools and crime have causes within the cities, not outside them.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,335,903 times
Quote:
In most cases, this difference is dwarfed by the difference in housing prices between similarly-sized units.

I didn't say it was planning; I said the problems of bad schools and crime have causes within the cities, not outside them.
What are the causes of bad schools and crime?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 PM

229 posts, read 294,522 times
Quote:
that kind of tells you where most people want to live... it's all about supply and demand.

If there were more urban places that were designed to be more like those "expensive" locations, then the prices would go down significantly.... The problem is that we haven't build a nice urban city or upgraded existing cities with something useful since 1960's. In fact, so many good looking blocks were destroyed in Chicago alone just to make more room to add more car lanes.

What I'm trying to say is: if there were more "manhattan's" in america, manhattan itself wouldn't be so expensive.

Quote:
what are those causes?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 19,285,222 times
Quote:
that kind of tells you where most people want to live... it's all about supply and demand.

If there were more urban places that were designed to be more like those "expensive" locations, then the prices would go down significantly....
That's only true if you think the demand is caused by the urban form.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is: if there were more "manhattan's" in america, manhattan itself wouldn't be so expensive.
But there's only one Manhattan, and there can be only one Manhattan. It's singular. Take a copy of Manhattan and put it somewhere else and it's just a movie set.

Quote:
what are those causes?
Crime is generally caused by criminals. Secondarily, where you have high crime, you often find that the ones supposed to stop crime are actually abetting it. Bad schools are caused by bad students, bad parents, bad teachers, bad administrators, and/or a bad school board -- usually all of the above, in fact.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,335,903 times
Quote:
Crime is generally caused by criminals.
What makes someone a criminal?

Quote:
Secondarily, where you have high crime, you often find that the ones supposed to stop crime are actually abetting it.
Upon what do you base this statement?
Quote:
Bad schools are caused by bad students, bad parents, bad teachers, bad administrators, and/or a bad school board -- usually all of the above, in fact.
What makes students, parents, teachers, administrations and school boards bad?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:38 AM

5,516 posts, read 9,526,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Duly noted. I was just giving some reasons why someone migh prefer #1 over #2. We don't all want to live in "gentrified" neighborhoods. You can be sure the original gentrifiers did not find new appiances, furnaces, etc in their homes. And if German Village is a high-end city 'hood, why not use a high-end burb in comparison, not some tract house area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
but.. but..

German Town has a bunch of million and over listings. We wouldn't want to show something like this:

260 South Parkview Ave Bexley, OH 43209 - Google Maps

Yes, really, we're all going to live places like that. Uh, huh. Given German Town's median home price being about five times as much as the median home price in Columbus, OH, you'd think it would be apparent why many people choose not to live there. It looks like a nice neighborhood, though.
Let's compare apples to apples then. (sort of...)

Recently sold in German Village: 148-152 Thurman Ave, Columbus, OH 43206 - Zillow

Recently sold in Bexley: (although the address says Columbus, this house came up under a search for Bexley) 488 Stanbery Ave, Columbus, OH 43209 - Zillow

I'd rather spend $50k and make the German Village house what I want, than buy the house in Bexley. I realize that not everyone wants to do that. But, there are additional options in both neighborhoods at comparable price points.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM

358 posts, read 452,835 times
Quote:
this is interesting:

Shanghai:

Atlanta:

Population of Atlanta: 4.5 million
Population of Shanghai: 23 million....

so basically in order for Atlanta to ever reach 23 million people, it would have to consume the entire state of Georgia and some more

The two maps you posted are at completely different scales. This doesn't show us anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning