Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Let's compare apples to apples then. (sort of...)

Recently sold in German Village: 148-152 Thurman Ave, Columbus, OH 43206 - Zillow

Recently sold in Bexley: (although the address says Columbus, this house came up under a search for Bexley) 488 Stanbery Ave, Columbus, OH 43209 - Zillow

I'd rather spend $50k and make the German Village house what I want, than buy the house in Bexley. I realize that not everyone wants to do that. But, there are additional options in both neighborhoods at comparable price points.

Quote:
Date Description Price Change $/sqft Source
02/16/2010 Sold $110,000 -82.0% $34 Public Record

09/14/2008 Listing removed $610,000 -- $191 Z57
06/13/2008 Listed for sale $610,000 239% $191 Z57
02/04/1997 Sold $180,000 -- $56 Public Record
Listed for 610 and "sold" for less than 20%? Right.... I mean, you'd have to pull title which is precisely no work at all this day and age. Zillow links you straight to it.
Franklin County Auditor - Parcel Information

Quit claim, looks like remaining mortgage was the "sale price." Yes, I'd rather live there too... but the extra $300,000 might be an issue, or the extra $5500 in property taxes each year. I have split personality. I like very low density suburban and neighborhoods like German Village. Capitol Hill in Seattle was probably my favorite place I've lived. I'm just not really in the income bracket where a nice ~$500,000 house is feasible. Plus I'm single, no kids. Show me what the condos and apartments look like, that's all I can hope to afford in those neighborhoods.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-16-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Listed for 610 and "sold" for less than 20%? Right.... I mean, you'd have to pull title which is precisely no work at all this day and age. Zillow links you straight to it.
Franklin County Auditor - Parcel Information

Quit claim, looks like remaining mortgage was the "sale price." Yes, I'd rather live there too... but the extra $300,000 might be an issue, or the extra $5500 in property taxes each year. I have split personality. I like very low density suburban and neighborhoods like German Village. Capitol Hill in Seattle was probably my favorite place I've lived. I'm just not really in the income bracket where a nice ~$500,000 house is feasible. Plus I'm single, no kids. Show me what the condos and apartments look like, that's all I can hope to afford in those neighborhoods.
OK, How about this one? http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/248-E-Whittier-St-Columbus-OH-43206/33826528_zpid/

Or this one? http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/610-S-Pearl-St-Columbus-OH-43206/33851205_zpid/

I'm listing properties that were sold because, like EBAY, the price one asks, and what one is willing to pay, can be two different things. I've also limited myself to listings with 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths, to keep things comparable with your suburb of Bexley.

This little 1br 1ba condo sold for $66k: 285 Lear St # 4, Columbus, OH 43206 - Zillow I could afford that, even with my current salary!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,912 times
Suburbia is creepy....all the houses look the same. All the animals look the same. All the yards look the same. All the trees look the same. All the roads look the same. All the garages look the same. All the kids look the same. All the old people look the same. All the yuppie couples look the same. All the 8mpg crossovers look the same. All the restaurants look the same. All the grocery stores look the same. All the churches look the same. All the schools look the same. All the cheap Made-In-China outdoor decorations look the same. All the cheap Made-In-China Walmart electronics inside the houses look the same. All the strip malls look the same.....

I think a person's brain would melt if they had to live that way for years.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM

391 posts, read 841,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
What makes someone a criminal?

Upon what do you base this statement?
What makes students, parents, teachers, administrations and school boards bad?
Are you serious here?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM

229 posts, read 293,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee View Post
The two maps you posted are at completely different scales. This doesn't show us anything.
actually they're at the EXACT SAME SCALE. I made sure of it. 8 zoom levels to be exact. It's shocking I know...

Old 07-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
That's only true if you think the demand is caused by the urban form.
they are expensive though

Quote:
But there's only one Manhattan, and there can be only one Manhattan. It's singular. Take a copy of Manhattan and put it somewhere else and it's just a movie set.
not really... Houston and Atlanta could have been the next "manhattan" but instead it's just one big suburb

Quote:
Crime is generally caused by criminals. Secondarily, where you have high crime, you often find that the ones supposed to stop crime are actually abetting it. Bad schools are caused by bad students, bad parents, bad teachers, bad administrators, and/or a bad school board -- usually all of the above, in fact.
and how does putting good people in an urban environment make them go crazy and stupid? It's all about demographics. The reason your suburb does well is due to the people that live there. College educated? White? 100K HHI? > 700 FICO? check, check and check. Of course that community will flourish no matter what the urban planning

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM

Old 07-16-2012, 12:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
I will always prefer suburbs to urban areas. Give me nice houses, and call them cookie cutter if you like, low crime, good schools, manicured lawns, a "sleepy bedroom community" over ugly urban/inner city/trash-strewn/ghetto/run down/no green space/crime ridden areas any day.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
OK, How about this one? http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/248-E-Whittier-St-Columbus-OH-43206/33826528_zpid/

Or this one? http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/610-S-Pearl-St-Columbus-OH-43206/33851205_zpid/

I'm listing properties that were sold because, like EBAY, the price one asks, and what one is willing to pay, can be two different things. I've also limited myself to listings with 3 bedrooms and 2+ baths, to keep things comparable with your suburb of Bexley.

This little 1br 1ba condo sold for $66k: 285 Lear St # 4, Columbus, OH 43206 - Zillow I could afford that, even with my current salary!
Listing sold is fine, but you have to look at the totality.
1) From the description is fixer and also was an estate sale. Means someone died in it, people stop taking car of homes when they get old. Just realize it's not a "turn-key" sale, the steep discount on asking was probably because it needed a lot of work which got priced into the sale. If you look at comps, $200-300k would be about right, probably on the low end of that.

2) No yard. Is that an issue? Can't really say much.

3) Condo was a flip, bought for $66k with "60k invested" and then put on the market for $150k. Never sold, it's either a rental or the guy is sitting on it until the market improves. In other words, it looked nothing like what it does in that listing if there was anything at all like $60k in renovations done to it. That's a complete overhaul (and it looks like it) on something that small. At $130k (last listed price), would you go for it? To me it's ugly. Whoever went flipper on it probably won't take less than 130k as that's his break-even.

Most of those priced too good to be trues aren't. They have stories behind them, the same as the way below market homes in the suburbs do. If it were me, I'd go a few blocks over. Go across Parsons heading east and prices fall off a cliff.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I really like most inner suburbs that are pretty close to the city but I really hate the suburbs that are 25-40 miles away that kind of recently boomed in the last 10-20 years.

To me the far out suburbs cry out consumption, waste, materialism, fear of everything, and newer religions that teach more Evangelistic ways of life. These far out burbs just seem like an empty wasteland of strip malls and cookie cutter homes with plenty of new churches sprinkled in.
Generalize much?

I live 25 miles outside of the urban core. My house was custom built (no, it's not a "McMansion" and we included far more energy efficient building concepts than any oder "city" home would have to offer.) Why would it make no sense for me to live in the city? Because my job is in the suburbs, and the type of industry I work in doesn't translate well to urban areas, yet it is crucial to urban infrastructure.

So it seems the "waste" you speak of is hyperbole at best, formed by someone who doesn't really know the first thing about suburban living.

By the way, I don't attend church. So you're wrong on that one, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning