Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
NYC doesn't have an overwhelming advantage over the NJ suburbs either (though it does over Westchester), though obviously it has a major advantage in high-end specialty stores.

Philadelphia is terrible for retail; doesn't help that the Philadelphia-based department stores have all gone under. The suburbs are much better.
Some retail corridors in Philadelphia like the Walnut Street corridor in Rittenhouse Square are doing very very well. There's a distinct difference between city retail and suburban retail, and you're equating that difference to mean one is better than the other. Some prefer city retail, as I do. If I can get it downtown then I will. I don't like to have to visit a suburban outlet unless I absolutely have to.

Now, since most of the consumer dollars are in the suburbs, yeah, you're going to see a higher volume of retail there since that's simply where the market is right now. That doesn't mean that city retail is worse. The market could very well shift in a generation or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Some retail corridors in Philadelphia like the Walnut Street corridor in Rittenhouse Square are doing very very well. There's a distinct difference between city retail and suburban retail, and you're equating that difference to mean one is better than the other. Some prefer city retail, as I do. If I can get it downtown then I will. I don't like to have to visit a suburban outlet unless I absolutely have to.
Like Willow Grove and Plymoth Meeting are doing gang buster business.

By the way, both Target and WalMart are planning smaller footprint urban stores reflecting the changes in retail demographics.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

By the way, both Target and WalMart are planning smaller footprint urban stores reflecting the changes in retail demographics.
Yes, and I see that as a positive trend for the city, hopefully it holds up. Still, right now most of the wealth is in the suburbs. Center City Philadelphia doesn't compare to KoP, but that gap will start to close somewhat. That said, for what Philadelphia offers as far as retail options are concerned I can get by very comfortably regardless. In fact, I'd say in terms of smaller specialty stores Philadelphia offers a lot of things that can't be found in the burbs.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Way to ignore the elephant in... well, King of Prussia. The big-box center in Plymouth Meeting was doing fine when I left, too, though I don't know how it's done recently. And Coventry Mall in Pottstown and the stores on the Rt 100 corridor were doing well also. As were the Limerick Outlets.

Not sure about Willow Grove, but the Plymouth Meeting Mall also took a beating from the closing of the Philly dept stores.

NYC does have a retail advantage over the suburbs. But it's not overwhelming; that is, typically people from the NJ suburbs won't go into the city to shop for ordinary things. And there are areas where the suburbs have an advantage; there's a well-used bus from Port Authority to the Willowbrook mall, for instance.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
NYC does have a retail advantage over the suburbs. But it's not overwhelming; that is, typically people from the NJ suburbs won't go into the city to shop for ordinary things. And there are areas where the suburbs have an advantage; there's a well-used bus from Port Authority to the Willowbrook mall, for instance.
Ditto with Long Island. But the clothes shops are still bigger and there's more of variety in Manhattan, but the Old Navy/ Macy's , etc. in suburbia is still big enough for most that's it not worth taking a trip out all the way to the center city for most purposes. Long Island shopping also felt less convenient as I often didn't have much access to a car. And not that used to driving, when I did have a car, driving all over the place in jammed holiday traffic felt annoying while walking around Manhattan was a nice novelty.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Is Macy's a good store out there? Here, the quality of the clothing is barely above Kohl's, and the stores are often trashed out, especially the dressing rooms.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Is Macy's a good store out there? Here, the quality of the clothing is barely above Kohl's, and the stores are often trashed out, especially the dressing rooms.
I always thought it was a decent store, sometimes a little overpriced. I've seen a few a bit trashed looking, others in good condition. I think they've historically been stronger in the NYC metro, as that's where they historically started.

The Manhattan Macy's is well presented, with lots of special sections. My mom preferred it over our local mall Macy's, as its selection was better and a short walk from her office so sometimes she could stop by during lunch break or right after work rather than make a separate trip during the weekend. Its size can be a bit of nuisance, it's easy to get lost, a 10x bigger store doesn't necessarily 10x better shopping. It covers 8 floors and an entire city block, and at either 1 million or 2 million square feet (sources conflict) was until a couple years ago the world's largest store. NYmag labels it mid-range and got good reviews:

Macy's - - Midtown West - New York Store & Shopping Guide

One other thing I like about Manhattan clothing stores is that the sizing is smaller, British stores are even better. A lot of mainstream American stores are just a pain.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
I know someone from up. He said the one thing that irritates him about tourist are the ones who come to downtown Manhattan to shop in chain stores and NYC with its vast amounts of independent entrepreneurs.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Not all Macy's are created equal--the downtown Macy's has more designer stuff and more youth/urban oriented clothing, while a Macy's in a suburban mall has more khakis and pastels and sensible stuff. The Macy's in downtown San Francisco is a whole other sort of animal, with seven floors.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
One time I was at the Boulder Macy's with my daughter, who was then about 21 years old. I asked the clerk if they had any dresses. She looked at me like I had two heads, and said "For you or her?" When I said for me she said no, they only carried junior dresses. In Broomfield, maybe 10 miles away, they have dresses for adult women. Strange. I guess Boulder women don't wear dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning