Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Easier said then done, apparently. Take NYC which supposedly has the best public transit system in the country. Yet it consistently ranks as having the worst vehicle traffic congestion in the nation. As bad or worse than LA's, which has very little public transit. Hmm. I wonder why?

New York Has Worst Traffic in North America, Says Report - NYTimes.com
Manhattan is very dense and it doesn't give as much space for cars as Los Angeles. The amount of time lost to traffic per commuter is much less than Los Angeles; I don't think it ranks near the top of American cities because the average commuter in the most congested doesn't drive. So why does traffic matter?

I don't say there wasn't traffic congestion. I just said traffic congestion doesn't matter because there is public transit. Drivers make a small fraction of the population on the street; 20% at most, probably closer to 10%. On weekends it looks like half the vehicles in Manhattan are taxis...

Horrendeous traffic congestion is true of any large city that's transit oriented. Not much room is given cars and the center is very dense so the traffic jams easily. If it weren't jammed, more people will drive until it jams. London and Paris have very high levels of traffic congestion, not too different from New York City, but they don't have much in the way of skyscrapers. London's congestion pricing has helped though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The places mentioned in the first few paragraphs aren't near any skyscrapers

Here's a street in NY surrounded by skyscrapers. Manhattan I think. The vehicle congestion looks pretty horrendous. Perhaps due in large part to people commuting in and out from the surrounding suburbs. Those office buildings must have huge amounts of underground parking.

New York City Traffic - YouTube

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Here's a street in NY surrounded by skyscrapers. Manhattan I think. The vehicle congestion looks pretty horrendous. Perhaps due in large part to people commuting in and out from the surrounding suburbs. Those office buildings must have huge amounts of underground parking.

New York City Traffic - YouTube
Less underground parking than you think. There's not a lot of room to dig in manhattan without hitting a subway line, water aqueduct, or jimmy Hoffa.

Honesty, having had years of experience driving in manhattan, I can say that on the streets it's orderly chaos. The signals are timed with precision for optimal efficiency. People block intersections less there than in other cities I've been in.

On the expressways in the boroughs, however - ugh. Hell hath no fury as the BQE scorned.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times

paris traffic jam and not a white line in sight - YouTube

Note the total lack of skyscrapers.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Here's a street in NY surrounded by skyscrapers. Manhattan I think. The vehicle congestion looks pretty horrendous. Perhaps due in large part to people commuting in and out from the surrounding suburbs. Those office buildings must have huge amounts of underground parking.]
Many, if not most office building in Manhattan have zero parking (the Empire State Building has zero, ditto with most skyscrapers built in the last decade).

A website I found said Manhattan has about 100,000 off street parking spaces. The office districts make up a small portion of Manhattan area. The amount of office workers in Manhattan is at least 2 million.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Arc de Triomphe, again no sky scrapers.

Traffic routier à l'Arc de Triomphe - YouTube

Where to Park in New York City -- Guide to Parking Garages in New York City
103k as of 2009 according to that source.
Manhattan's Population By Day vs Manhattan's Population By Night.
Nearly 400,000 commute into the CBD buy subway in one hour.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
L
Honesty, having had years of experience driving in manhattan, I can say that on the streets it's orderly chaos. The signals are timed with precision for optimal efficiency. People block intersections less there than in other cities I've been in.
Why didn't you take transit?

Quote:
On the expressways in the boroughs, however - ugh. Hell hath no fury as the BQE scorned.
I've been on a BQE traffic jam after midnight several times. Partially construction related at least one of the times, but still. Few if any skyscrapers near the BQE, just lots of people.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

Where is that? Looks like one of the major streets leading to the Charles de Gaulle traffic circle. Which is I believe the biggest traffic circle in the world, where a dozen straight major boulevards converge into one massive traffic circle or roundabout.

In this case skyscrapers aren't to blame. Blame it on a poorly designed traffic intersection. Connecting a dozen major streets together into one great big intersection is never a good idea.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Where is that? Looks like one of the major streets leading to the Charles de Gaulle traffic circle. Which is I believe the biggest traffic circle in the world, where a dozen straight major boulevards converge into one massive traffic circle or roundabout.

In this case skyscrapers aren't to blame. Blame it on a poorly designed traffic intersection. Connecting a dozen major streets together into one great big intersection is never a good idea.
It's not a good idea but it was designed, like most of Manhattan before the automobile.

I puzzled why you think traffic congestion matters so much. Let the drivers deal with it, there's good transit.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why didn't you take transit?

I've been on a BQE traffic jam after midnight several times. Partially construction related at least one of the times, but still. Few if any skyscrapers near the BQE, just lots of people.
I really don't know. Gas was much cheaper then and I really liked my car! I also would do a lot of exploring after attending class at a college in Queens.

I was more of a car guy then. Loved cars. Still do, but in a different way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning