Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
DC is not more urban than Philly or Boston
Talking importance now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
It ranks 7th in MSA GDP behind NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, Houston, and Dallas. It ranks 9th in CSA GDP behind NYC, LA, DC, SF Bay Area, Chicago, Boston, Houston, and Dallas. You may want to check that at some point. http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Advance 2010, and Revised 2007–2009

I don't see Phily as top 5 or 6-8th at this point. I think its position for 9-10 can be more evenly debated but Phily is not Miami and will never hold the culture and influence of an entire cultural hemisphere and in foreign connectivity. Phily is the one lagging even behind Seattle on brand recognition, foreign born, airport service to continents, and major cos. I think the fight for the last open spot is stiff between Phily, Atlanta, and Seattle and if I had to assume by your tone, its getting heated competition.

Not at all, I honestly dont see Seattle in the mix. On airports there are actually a number of reasons (#1 is FAA airspace restrictions of which it resides in the busiest airsoace in the world). I think 6-10 are all very close and personally for a number of reasons (the first of which is how far behind the econimc output is) dont see Seattle even in the discussion. As to placement of this 6-10 it becomes difficult for a number of reasons to rank them.

And lastly I think I dont think you know Philly very well based on your posts, is all good but as I said the one that doesnt make to me is Seattle that is all. Yeah I was off on my ranks by one, forgot DFW my bad though I also contend that nearly 80-100 Billion (which doubles the size of a Seattle today) is missing from a realistic CSA comparison and probably 40-50 Billion today at the MSA level for Philly but these census lines are what they are whether they best portray reality or not (Actually I do believe the Bay is cohesive and probably should be one MSA and also believe that Mercer and parts of PA and NJ are miscast by the census lines as well) but that horse has been beaten to death.

On Intl connectivity there are other reports(where Philly is included remember many your reference exclude it because of its proximity to NYC) show it among the top cities in this regard

Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,197 times
Quote:
Talking importance now
Got it, was just skimming through the thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:45 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Maybe Montclair can bring his substantial wealth to NYC and pick up a Van Gogh for $25 million.

New York: Sotheby's Auction - YouTube
Speaking of artistic people, that's yet another area where New York just singlehandedly carries the rest of the Northeast--thanks for the segway.

Quote:

Most Artistic Cities in America, 2011
1 Santa Fe, NM
2 San Francisco, CA
3 New York, NY
4 Los Angeles, CA
5 Santa Cruz, CA
6 Danbury, CT
7 New Beford, MA
8 Boulder, CO
9 Barnstable, MA
10 Jersey City, NJ

We use a measure called a "location quotient," or LQ, which is basically a ratio that compares a region’s share of artists to the national share of artists. An LQ of one implies that its regional share equals the national average; less than one is less than the national average and greater than one is more than the national average. An LQ of two, for example, means a region has twice the national average of artists.

The Most Artistic Cities in America - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities

Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Speaking of artistic people, that's yet another area where New York just singlehandedly carries the rest of the Northeast--thanks for the segway.

Again NYC keeps falling into some abysss of delusional reality

Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Strength in numbers. Together we stand, divided we fall!

Manhattan has the financial muscle!
Philly has healthcare and industry!
Boston has higher education!
DC has political power!

...and Brooklyn has a bowling alley!
Every time you take a swipe at Brooklyn you remind everyone what a clueless bonehead you are. Old Brooklyn has some of the most elegant and historic residential neighborhoods in the country. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Dumbo, Carroll Gardens... ring any bells? I didn't think so. Not to mention Prospect Park, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, etc.

But keep yapping.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do realize that Philadelphia is closer (actually ahead on many metrics) to all the others than Seattle or MSP are to Philly (esp if one looks at GDP where Seattle may catch Miami or Atlanta the real laggards in econimic output among the 5million plus metros). And why always CSA. becuase your beloved Bay is weekened by having to stand alone? (Which it does quite nicely anyway SJ becomes more of job center without many attributes without SF (Than SF lacking) IMHO)

It ranks 6th in MSA GDP and 8th in CSA GDP, we can disagree but I dont see that Houston and DFW have even passed it let alone Seattle on its heels. The Seattle thing to me is the one that is more baffling actually than the others as the next 5 IMHO are all really close (Seattle just isnt in that mix and wont be be for while). To me Miami and Atlanta are the two probably battling for the 10th spot though as they both under perform on economic output measures. Then Detroit and Pheonix then Seattle and MSP. But again this is my view based on many attributes including GDP. guess this Seattle on the heels thing is sort of not making sense more than anything though, I like Seattle but it is one the most over rated places to me and mentioned among the top 10 today or even the near future, well solidies this impression to me.

You continue to post this so thought I would bring it up, but Seattle needs to grow by more than 50% to just catch that next set assuming they dont grow, just dont see it in the near future sorry. There is just something to scale that takes time to close the gap
I don't see why GDP is that relevant for ranking urbanity. Neither is the entire metro, especially since the there's not much urban in the outer parts of most American metros. I'd rather just focus on cores. Seattle has a good downtown for a newer city; less vacant spots than most and more pedestrian friendly. I think it should make the top 100. Houston and DFW have a higher GDP just because it has a higher population. The entire Bay Area has the same population as Eastern Massachusetts + Rhode Island + a few parts of New Hampshire. That region isn't the same as Boston, and Boston does well on its own. I dunno why some posters, particularly Bay Area posters, like to compare the entire Bay Area instead of San Francisco. It makes the most unique part of the Bay Area, San Francisco a city I rather like, seem less important and lost in the sprawl, when it's a healthy urban city on its own.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not at all, I honestly dont see Seattle in the mix. On airports there are actually a number of reasons (#1 is FAA airspace restrictions of which it resides in the busiest airsoace in the world). I think 6-10 are all very close and personally for a number of reasons (the first of which is how far behind the econimc output is) dont see Seattle even in the discussion. As to placement of this 6-10 it becomes difficult for a number of reasons to rank them.

And lastly I think I dont think you know Philly very well based on your posts, is all good but as I said the one that doesnt make to me is Seattle that is all. Yeah I was off on my ranks by one, forgot DFW my bad though I also contend that nearly 80-100 Billion (which doubles the size of a Seattle today) is missing from a realistic CSA comparison and probably 40-50 Billion today at the MSA level for Philly but these census lines are what they are whether they best portray reality or not (Actually I do believe the Bay is cohesive and probably should be one MSA and also believe that Mercer and parts of PA and NJ are miscast by the census lines as well) but that horse has been beaten to death.
I know Phily as much as you likely know Seattle and that's as a tourist or a business visitor. Am I right? I have been to Seattle a few dozen times and its the first place on my short list outside of California. I'm also a big Seattle booster so I'm just as biased as you are as a Phily booster, so that settles our biases. That's another point, you cant really continue to sell how wonderful your location is close to NYC and DC in one thread when its to your advantage but complain about it in another. Sucks that NYC is poaching you Phily folks, I feel for ya, I really do because I thought the folks in Phily were some of the best you could meet anywhere but that's just how things are. NYC is the bigger city and it has the strings to pull Phily's surroundings to its will and that will never change but weren't you talking about how great your BosWash corridor is just 14 pages ago?

So why would you mind now? Seattle is the capital of its PNW empire and there's no competition and you cant really blame Seattle for its blessed isolation and space.

Anyway I mentioned that Phily is in the top 10 now but I don't believe it will remain to be for much longer. That $125B GDP difference isn't as staggering as that 2.3M population difference between Phily and Seattle. So for its size, Seattle is competing with Phily at a strong level IMO.
Quote:
On Intl connectivity there are other reports(where Philly is included remember many your reference exclude it because of its proximity to NYC) show it among the top cities in this regard
You mean your report from 2008?

I'm not sweating much bruh. I saw a report from 2005 just yday where both Denver and Seattle placed ahead of Phily for the exact same thing. Should we look at an ancient study and compare it to another ancient study or should we stick to the here and now?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Every time you take a swipe at Brooklyn you remind everyone what a clueless bonehead you are. Old Brooklyn has some of the most elegant and historic residential neighborhoods in the country. Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Dumbo, Carroll Gardens... ring any bells? I didn't think so. Not to mention Prospect Park, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Botanic Garden, etc.

But keep yapping.
I actually like Brooklyn better than Manhattan in a lot of ways, though Manhattan obviously has more amnetities.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I know Phily as much as you likely know Seattle and that's as a tourist or a business visitor. Am I right? I have been to Seattle a few dozen times and its the first place on my short list outside of California. I'm also a big Seattle booster so I'm just as biased as you are as a Phily booster, so that settles our biases. T
So what? Philly is much more urban than Seattle, its core felt stronger and just felt like a more bustling city in general. This is rather bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning