Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,200 times

Advertisements

It seems like Atlanta get's all flack for being the " King of Sprawl" but no one ever does that to Houston or Dallas- Fortworth. Why the heck is that.

Here is an example.

Where Americans are moving this year - Yahoo!

Quote:
Potential residents should not only explore all of them fully before settling down, but also drive the commute during morning and afternoon rush hours. If nothing else, Atlantans have a love affair with their cars, probably because they spend so much in them navigating traffic.
What is the deal. When did Dallas and Houston become urban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
I think they all get bashed pretty hard for being low-density and sprawly.

IMO Dallas has the most dense, walkable (un-sprawly?) areas, then Houston, then Atlanta - though it's like measuring flecks of dust, so maybe I am wrong.

I would imagine these three get labeled as "sprawl kings" because they are high profile, large cities. They are still way more "urban" than just about any other sunbelt city.

Last edited by munchitup; 06-12-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Welcome to the forum. You are obviously new here.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think they all get bashed pretty hard for being low-density and sprawly.

IMO Dallas has the most dense, walkable (un-sprawly?) areas, then Houston, then Atlanta - though it's like measuring flecks of dust, so maybe I am wrong.

I would imagine these three get labeled as "sprawl kings" because they are high profile, large cities. They are still way more "urban" than just about any other sunbelt city.
It's cute how you pretend to act like a professor on places you know nothing about. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,908 times
I hear lots of criticism about DFW and Houston for sprawl. I live in TX and tend to focus on threads about Texas so maybe that's why I've seen them. That aside, haters are gonna hate. Atlanta has many positives so people are going to try and bring it down a bit by focusing on traffic and sprawl.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM

362 posts, read 665,910 times
This forum is filled with city bashers. It's nothing new here. city bashers were putting down other cities because of hatred, jealousy, or because they are troll with nothing better to do. Also, this forum is filled with city boosters that always input and exaggerate their city's growth(Philly, SF, and my very own DC posters are the biggest city boosters on this Forum).

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,954,100 times
The developments in the City of Dallas are more urban than sprawl. I can't speak for the surrounding cities but I know for a fact that majority of the developments happening in Dallas are dense urban developments. These developments are mainly centered around the Uptown/Downtown area.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,865,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
It's cute how you pretend to act like a professor on places you know nothing about. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Please enlighten me on what I so authoritatively stated that is incorrect. I believe I try to bring an even hand, particularly about cities I don't know well.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
There isn't a solidly urban core in any of these three cities, which is why they probably get bashed for being sprawly.

I'm looking forward to the rebuttle as to why any of these three cities has a solidly urban core, but instead of focusing on that, you COULD be discussing how your suburban areas are denser than most cities in the country and there is SOME urban renewal going on as well......we'll see.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The developments in the City of Dallas are more urban than sprawl. I can't speak for the surrounding cities but I know for a fact that majority of the developments happening in Dallas are dense urban developments. These developments are mainly centered around the Uptown/Downtown area.
Do you have any kind of source that shows that the "majority of the developments happening in Dallas are dense urban developments", or are you talking about JUST the city? This must be happening in the suburbs then, because of the 1-1.5 million people the region has gained in the last 10 years, the city of Dallas has only received a fraction of that (which I don't entirely doubt was more urban in form). It'd be kinda odd if a city center in America did NOT have urban development, but in some places with HUGE city municipalities I suppose it's possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning