Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Houston, Dallas and Atlanta are all significantly lower density than Los Angeles, no matter how you look at it. Do I think they would be better places if they were more dense? I don't really think so... They seem to be attracting a ton of people the way they are.
I think think they would, but it's a matter of personal preference. A good part of the reason Houston, Dallas, Atlanta have strong growth is they're significantly cheaper than coastal metros.

Personally, I've enjoyed New York City whenever I visited (and I visit there regularly much more than any other city) and probably would be ok with living there, much more so than any of those three sunbelt cities named. I like being able to walk around, see stuff and find random things. New York City is good for that, the sunbelt cities much less so. New York City also sprawls quite a bit. You can live in a suburb and visit the big city regularly if city living isn't your thing, but in the sunbelt cities most living is not that walkable and low density, not much choice. I agree New York City can be a bit much, but why pick NYC, Tokyo and Hong Kong as your dense examples? Two megacities and one extreme density (Hong Kong) outlier. How about if the sunbelt cities were as dense as Munich or Madrid? Mmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 AM

6 posts, read 5,659 times
Atlanta has one of the largest subway systems in the nation, it is definitely the most prepared for density and sustainability for the future, give it time

Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2times View Post
Atlanta has one of the largest subway systems in the nation, it is definitely the most prepared for density and sustainability for the future, give it time
MARTA has 228,300 weekday riders, spread over 4 lines with only 4,800 boardings per mile per weekday, or best for eighth in the nation in terms of total ridership. There's a lot of unused capacity in Atlanta's system. Consider that Philadelphia has 342,200 weekday riders, spread over 2 lines which are half the length of MARTA's entire system, and has 13,700 boardings per mile per weekday.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,314,151 times
Houston no zoning thats why. Harris County is one of the largest counties in the Nation.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,944,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Houston no zoning thats why. Harris County is one of the largest counties in the Nation.
Zoning doesn't prevent sprawl. If anything, most zoning practices encourage sprawl by mandating separate land use and parking requirements.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Zoning doesn't prevent sprawl. If anything, most zoning practices encourage sprawl by mandating separate land use and parking requirements.
I would think zoning that encourages sprawl would allow for more sprawl. Good zoning could restrict development from tearing through a pedestrian environment or using not developing in the outer edges when there's unused land further in.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,944,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I would think zoning that encourages sprawl would allow for more sprawl. Good zoning could restrict development from tearing through a pedestrian environment or using not developing in the outer edges when there's unused land further in.
True! For example, urban development boundaries and mixed-use zoning can be very effective.

However, in practice, most zoning practices currently in place are the ones that encourage sprawl. Also, zoning is not absolutely necessary, since even Houston apparently has some walkable neighborhoods (midtown, neartown, Montrose, and others). Private developers and neighborhood associations can apparently do the job without government imposed zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning