Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select the BEST answer:
I prefer my car. 12 34.29%
It is not available where I need it, or service is poor. 23 65.71%
Public transportation is a waste of money. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:40 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

How many years ago was that? Is it still the same today?

Buses stick pretty close to schedule where I live, and there is a Web and smartphone app that lets riders track bus locations in real time. Most light rail stations have boards indicating the times of the next few trains, and notifying riders of any service interruptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How many years ago was that? Is it still the same today?

Buses stick pretty close to schedule where I live, and there is a Web and smartphone app that lets riders track bus locations in real time. Most light rail stations have boards indicating the times of the next few trains, and notifying riders of any service interruptions.
It was last year and I checked a couple weeks ago and apparently they're still working on gps bus tracking. If I use it now it's only to ride it along the main streets since they're multiple buses and I don't have to worry about times. The one I was using before only had two buses on that route.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
On my commute on Interstate 15 I do. And if I am going to, for example, the store, I'm not waiting for the bus.

[that is illogical when the car is in the driveway]
This is the issue for a lot of people. Why take the bus, when you have a car? The car depreciates as much sitting in the driveway/garage as it does if you're driving it to the store (for those of you who like to talk about depreciation).

Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Because it's full of the public.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Never had a problem with "interesting characters" in Detroit.

Only in detroit rosa park transit center - YouTube

But really, what's that like 1% of riders who are disruptive? That really can't ruin the whole system can it? You don't leave town because one guy acts like a total d-bag, right? Such a shame that so many bus rides across the country aren't as boring as this.

D-dot NovaBus RTS 82VN #3857 - YouTube

But really, like I said, if it didn't take almost 2 hours (assuming the buses are on time) to travel the same distance that takes me a half hour by car...then I understand why there's such apathy towards PT.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is the issue for a lot of people. Why take the bus, when you have a car? The car depreciates as much sitting in the driveway/garage as it does if you're driving it to the store (for those of you who like to talk about depreciation).
I believe the depreciation increases with mileage. At trade-in time your vehicle is worth less if you have more miles on it. If you look at the AAA report you will see that depreciation is about 5 cents per mile. Insurance will cost more if you drive it more miles. In some places the most direct route is a toll road, an expense not even explored by the cost per mile studies.
On the other hand, APTA studies ignore the value of your time. If you save $10 per trip, your pay rate is $20 per hour and it takes you an hour longer, what have you saved?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My car is currently parked on the street rather a driveway or garage but it's a 20 second walk away so about the same thing.

A car depreciates faster if you add a lot of miles, though age is a big factor as well.

Possible reasons depending on your situation:

1) Cost of the bus ride is cheaper than gas or gas + wear and tear on the car from adding extra miles
2) Limited or expensive free parking. Mostly in downtown districts in larger cities, but I've seen the situation in smaller cities. If the choice is either pricey parking or circling 5+ minutes for street parking, the car is less useful relatively to the bus. In a particular situation I'm thinking of in a smaller city, I found it easier to take the bus over driving. Universities often have a restricted parking situation (parking is either expensive or a longer walk away than the transit stop)
3) It has some form of grade separation that makes it as fast or faster than driving, particularly during rush hour. Express buses, particularly if there's a separated bus lane. Or the transit isn't a bus. It's a train
4) You just don't like driving and prefer reading or napping on transit to driving.
5) Goofy situation: not really found outside of New York City and some denser districts of a few older cities. You only have street parking, and street parking is so scarce that using your car means you lost your parking space, and it will take effort to find another when you come back home. So only use your car if you need to, because you'll lose your wonderful parking space. Any neighborhood where this is true is clearly "transit-oriented" and not "auto-oriented".

Any other possible situations? Also, if you have a transit monthly (say because you have a downtown job where parking is difficult and traffic is bad), every extra transit trip is free.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
But really, what's that like 1% of riders who are disruptive? That really can't ruin the whole system can it? You don't leave town because one guy acts like a total d-bag, right? Such a shame that so many bus rides across the country aren't as boring as this.
Typical bus holds 55 people. If 1% are disruptive, you'll encounter one almost half the time if you ride at peak times.

On my commute this morning, there was one bum sleeping on a bench at the train station where I got on and several panhandlers at the station where I got off. On the train was some idiot playing his iPod through his headphones loud enough to annoy those of us nearby. On the way home, there was some moron playing loud, bad, amplified music in the crowded corridors of the station.

No doubt about it, the public is a major drawback to public transportation.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Typical bus holds 55 people. If 1% are disruptive, you'll encounter one almost half the time if you ride at peak times.

On my commute this morning, there was one bum sleeping on a bench at the train station where I got on and several panhandlers at the station where I got off. On the train was some idiot playing his iPod through his headphones loud enough to annoy those of us nearby. On the way home, there was some moron playing loud, bad, amplified music in the crowded corridors of the station.

No doubt about it, the public is a major drawback to public transportation.
But if you work/live in a particularly urban environment, don't you see that anyway? Regardless of transit, that seems common where there are large numbers of people.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:13 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

Some people are just afraid to be around those they deem undesirable I guess. I couldn't even describe the people I see on the transit when I use it because doesn't matter to me. They're still people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning