Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,187 times

Advertisements

I am confused by the desire urban enthusiasts have to completely transform urban areas into their dream cities. By that, I mean the desire to extend transit way out into suburbs that they don't live in, harboring hope that gas prices will force us to live in more dense environments, lament about chain stores they don't even shop or eat in, whine about wide freeways when they don't even drive much, etc. American cities offer a plethora of urban options, ranging from high density cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and DC and lower density choices like Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. I can't understand why an urban enthusiast who lives in a place like San Antonio, for example, would rather exhaust themselves trying to change the urban fabric rather than just work to relocate to a more vibrant place?

You rarely, if ever, see the opposite effect happening. There aren't many in Midtown Manhattan or Noe Hill in San Francisco who stick around trying to suburbanize their environment. Those who want a suburban vibe pick up and move to the suburbs.

Why is there this desire among urban enthusiasts to turn every city into the next Portland or New York?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM

684 posts, read 825,436 times
"The reasonable man adapts to the world around him. The unreasonable man forces the world to adapt to him. Therefor, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
There isn't. It's a made-up, imaginary thing.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There isn't. It's a made-up, imaginary thing.
Yep.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 AM

711 posts, read 1,689,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I am confused by the desire urban enthusiasts have to completely transform urban areas into their dream cities. By that, I mean the desire to extend transit way out into suburbs that they don't live in, harboring hope that gas prices will force us to live in more dense environments, lament about chain stores they don't even shop or eat in, whine about wide freeways when they don't even drive much, etc. American cities offer a plethora of urban options, ranging from high density cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, and DC and lower density choices like Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. I can't understand why an urban enthusiast who lives in a place like San Antonio, for example, would rather exhaust themselves trying to change the urban fabric rather than just work to relocate to a more vibrant place?

You rarely, if ever, see the opposite effect happening. There aren't many in Midtown Manhattan or Noe Hill in San Francisco who stick around trying to suburbanize their environment. Those who want a suburban vibe pick up and move to the suburbs.

Why is there this desire among urban enthusiasts to turn every city into the next Portland or New York?
Well, if you look at actual zoning laws... most on the books around the country are preventing any type of urbanism. They mandate a certain size parking lot, limit building heights & don't allow much density.

You're looking at the horse from the wrong end, if people didn't want urbanism then why are there so many laws prohibiting it? If no one wanted it, why the need for the laws? Obviously it's people that want more suburban areas built that are forcing their beliefs on everyone.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:

John B. Calhoun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Density and overpopulation are two different things. Five families living in a single-family home on a quarter-acre lot are overcrowded, even though the density of the built environment is low at 4 units per acre. Five families living in a three-story apartment building with five units on a quarter-acre lot are not overcrowded, even though the density of the built environment is higher at 20 units per acre.

I get really sick of these baseless claims accusing people of some kind of sinister conspiracy to force people into apartments. It's silly and has no basis in reality.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
I mean the desire to extend transit way out into suburbs that they don't live in, harboring hope that gas prices will force us to live in more dense environments,
Because traffic is bad, and its more environmental friendly to take a train to work? Plus we clog up their city streets when we go to work and they have no room for their bicycle

Quote:
lament about chain stores they don't even shop or eat in, whine about wide freeways when they don't even drive much, etc.
Yea i don't see why they would care where we shop or eat. They say wide freeways create more traffic and they would rather have everyone take a train into the city.

Quote:
They love their lifestyle and they want to share it with their neighbors in the suburbs

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Density and overpopulation are two different things. Five families living in a single-family home on a quarter-acre lot are overcrowded, even though the density of the built environment is low at 4 units per acre. Five families living in a three-story apartment building with five units on a quarter-acre lot are not overcrowded, even though the density of the built environment is higher at 20 units per acre.

I get really sick of these baseless claims accusing people of some kind of sinister conspiracy to force people into apartments. It's silly and has no basis in reality.
Oh? Maybe not you, but it's not baseless.

The pervasive myth of homeownership | New Urbanism Blog

A "pro-renting" article on a New Urbanism blog.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
You know, a person can rent a house in the suburbs. Renting is not an activity that only occurs in the city.

Anyway, there's nothing in here (an obviously biased opinion blog) that seems to be imposing a lifestyle on anyone. It's a blog, where's the conspiracy?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning