Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

I want to add that I'll gladly purchase the game if Maxis ever releases an expansion that restores the functionality of SimCity 4. Most notably that includes larger maps and regions, more extensive transportation options, density zoning, and the ability to save and load your city outside of the cloud. Unfortunately that will likely never happen as today's teenagers are likely unfamiliar with the original genre and it wouldn't have mass appeal to them.

Alternatively, they could release the source code for SimCity 4 and allow enthusiasts to build the game we've always wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Bad thing is it will be online-only. It will not have the single player experience of the previous games.
That's not true. You will have to be online to start the game, but once you start, there won't be a requirement of having to "share" your city, or interact with anyone online.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
I am still waiting for the game where I can build a sim of victorian london.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Thought this might be relevant. SimCity Reference of the Day: Chicago Zoning Map - Politics - The Atlantic Cities

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
This was inevitable and guaranteed for another new SimCity game to eventually be created after SimCity3000 in 1999 and SimCity4 in 2003. It might be surprising that it took 10 years and literally an entire decade for this to happen.

It is certainly an almost unbelievable surprise that SimCity2013 doesn’t seem nearly as good compared to SimCity4 and SimCity300 for plenty of reasons.

The visual presentation and arrangement just looks too different, cheaper looking, a bit alienating, almost as if the people that created the new game rushed in trying to make it fast and not enough time to make it higher quality. The cities size are even smaller for navigating, and doesn’t seem to have as much variety.

I would actually go back to the 2 older SimCity games before I would go with this one. SimCity4 and 3000 were some of the best computer video games ever created and that is probably when my urban planning interest started around 12 to 15 years old. The exciting vision and sophistication of those games was so innovative and I am not sure why that was not expanded, using the same model, and just adding a few more customized items to the same games.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
no mixed-use development? then its not a remotely accurate simulation of any big city urban environment that I'm aware of. maybe they should call it SimSuburb.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
no mixed-use development? then its not a remotely accurate simulation of any big city urban environment that I'm aware of. maybe they should call it SimSuburb.
This post reminds me that its hard to believe that when the original SimCity came out, suburbia was king, downtowns were for the most-part dead, "walkable neighborhood" was not yet a buzzword, and nobody had heard of hipsters.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Even with mixed-use development, the game(s) are in no way a perfect replica of the real world. Which, by the way, you don't need mixed-use to simulate an urban environment. The cities might be a bit larger than they would be in the real world, but you still can put in transit, have dense cities, and face all the problems inherent with urban metropolises.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:43 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Even with mixed-use development, the game(s) are in no way a perfect replica of the real world. Which, by the way, you don't need mixed-use to simulate an urban environment. The cities might be a bit larger than they would be in the real world, but you still can put in transit, have dense cities, and face all the problems inherent with urban metropolises.
But simcity is an urban planning game - and yes, it's a game, but it should reflect the world we live in. The thinking on city planning has changed remarkably in the years since simcity was first introduced. The cities were at their virtual nadir in 1989 - since then urbanity has become predominant. I would hope the game would recognize that.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
But simcity is an urban planning game - and yes, it's a game, but it should reflect the world we live in. The thinking on city planning has changed remarkably in the years since simcity was first introduced. The cities were at their virtual nadir in 1989 - since then urbanity has become predominant. I would hope the game would recognize that.
Actually a game that gives the option of both would be the most realistic. If you are over age 30 or have a family, suburbs are still relevant. I wouldn't want a game that forced mixed-use high density development any more than I would want one that forces low-density suburban zoning. Neither is realistic.

I agree with you though in that 1989 was pretty much when suburbanization was at its height. City planning has changed since then and the game should incorporate that.

I think SimCity 4 with mods can get pretty close to realism. Unfortunately its also a pretty unstable game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning