Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, every subsidized system has its less tangible benefits. I'd like the anti-surburban/anti-driving people to acknowledge my right to choose.

Who is ignoring your right to make a choice? I didn't see that anywhere.

The economist merely identified costs that you are not paying as a driver.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Who is ignoring your right to make a choice? I didn't see that anywhere.

The economist merely identified costs that you are not paying as a driver.
As if drivers are the only ones who get subsidized. I'm subsidizing a lot of stuff I never use, starting with mass transit in this city. Many city residents are living a practically 100% govt. subsidized lifestyle.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Many city residents are living a practically 100% govt. subsidized lifestyle.
Welfare Queens?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Welfare Queens?
No, I don't use that term and don't appreciate the snark behind that response. However, it does not take a rocket scientist to tell you that many city residents are living in subsidized housing, have a govt. subsidized income, get govt. subsidies for food, etc.

If you think I'm opposed to all this, I'm very disappointed in you. You obviously haven't been reading my posts in P&OC.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
No, I don't use that term and don't appreciate the snark behind that response. However, it does not take a rocket scientist to tell you that many city residents are living in subsidized housing, have a govt. subsidized income, get govt. subsidies for food, etc.

If you think I'm opposed to all this, I'm very disappointed in you. You obviously haven't been reading my posts in P&OC.
Plenty of that in the suburbs too.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,466,028 times
Quote:
As if drivers are the only ones who get subsidized. I'm subsidizing a lot of stuff I never use, starting with mass transit in this city. Many city residents are living a practically 100% govt. subsidized lifestyle.
My example was merely that, an example, and not meant to be a dig at any group, individual or system. Costs should be internalized for cars, bikes, trucks, freight or heavy or light passenger rail, buses, gondolas or what have you.

Now, personally speaking, I think good (not all, but the good ones) public transit generally needs to be subsidized to be built and operated in this era if only because private vehicles are already so heavily subsidized and cities have focused so heavily on their ease of ownership and use (plentiful parking, wide and fast thoroughfares). It's not an anti-car rant to note that cars have taken precedence in America (speaking broadly, not of specific cities or neighborhoods).

Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Plenty of that in the suburbs too.
There is suburban poverty. Heck, there is public housing right down the street from me; also a trailer park, though for the most part I think the trailers are owner occupied. I have neighbors who have been out of work for years, since the recession started. However, from my readings, it seems that severe poverty is worse in the city, and the more poverty, the more subsidies.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
My example was merely that, an example, and not meant to be a dig at any group, individual or system. Costs should be internalized for cars, bikes, trucks, freight or heavy or light passenger rail, buses, gondolas or what have you.

Now, personally speaking, I think good (not all, but the good ones) public transit generally needs to be subsidized to be built and operated in this era if only because private vehicles are already so heavily subsidized and cities have focused so heavily on their ease of ownership and use (plentiful parking, wide and fast thoroughfares). It's not an anti-car rant to note that cars have taken precedence in America (speaking broadly, not of specific cities or neighborhoods).
How are cars "heavily subsidized"? You can't even deduct the interest you pay on a car loan on your taxes any more, unless you add the loan to your mortgage.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The "traditional" way they're trying to add density to suburbs now is to create pseudo new urbanist areas on the sites of former shopping malls. Shopping malls are ideal, because they have huge acreage, most of which is only taken up by parking now. Better yet, many are failing, need to be redeveloped, and they are found all across suburbia. The new construction is usually a much smaller "lifestyle center," coupled with townhouses and rental apartments within walking distance. Thus it can, if done right, create a small walkable pseudo-urban environment.
Here's an example of that being built in the Western suburbs of Syracuse: Township 5, Syracuse, NY | Cameron Group LLC

Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
How are cars "heavily subsidized"? You can't even deduct the interest you pay on a car loan on your taxes any more, unless you add the loan to your mortgage.
All of the things that dark economist said answered this question. And, fuel is subsidized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning