Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It's part of the hipster fad right now to want to live without a car even in cities that weren't built that way. In reality there are only a few cities in America where living without a car is optimal. There are many others where it is possible but at times can be a great inconvenience. Then there are more, smaller sunbelt metro areas where its simply not feasible. I am glad to see more walkable neighborhoods being gentrified, but I don't doubt that there is still some life left in the automobile. When today's twentysomethings become thirtysomethings and get married and/or have kids, 'hip' will be in their past and you may see a migration to more suburban areas with low crime and good schools.
No, it is not a fad it is a shift from a stupid lifestyle that was ruining america.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Car culture has been a disaster for the US.
Disagree. The opposite of what you say is true. Transportation freedom on-demand > waiting in line for for fascism.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
No, it is not a fad it is a shift from a stupid lifestyle that was ruining america.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but freedom is not a fad. Freedom of movement will always especially be popular.

Nor is freedom ruining America.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
No, there will be freedom of CHOICE. You can live in a walkable, gentrified neighborhood and be at the mercy of public transportation, OR you can own a car and live and go where you please. In 5-10 years a lot of today's hipsters will be getting married and having kids and at that time, owning a car will probably become more attractive.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but freedom is not a fad. Freedom of movement will always especially be popular.

Nor is freedom ruining America.
You can be a slave to your farm nobody is stopping you. The future and smarter generations don't want this though. We base our lives around living and not our car.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
No, there will be freedom of CHOICE. You can live in a walkable, gentrified neighborhood and be at the mercy of public transportation, OR you can own a car and live and go where you please. In 5-10 years a lot of today's hipsters will be getting married and having kids and at that time, owning a car will probably become more attractive.
There is freedom of choice. Today's smart youth have chosen not to be slaves to their cars like past generations. In 5-10 years there will even be less cars. owning a car will be less attractived. However you are still free to be in thrall to your car. We dont care.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Disagree. The opposite of what you say is true. Transportation freedom on-demand > waiting in line for for fascism.
You are free to base your life around a car. Nobody is forcing you to live better. We choose to live better and the future will even be better. You can still drive though. Stop being afraid.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
If you travel a lot to various places, you pretty much need a car. Public transit simply doesn't go to a TON of interesting places. You don't need them everyday, but they are good for weekends, esp if shared. I prefer multi use transit, there is one solve all solution. I like city living but I don't like being trapped in the city either. So having a car, even if it's a beater does give you a sense of freedom. I think people who live in RV's are in many ways more "Free" than people tied down to jobs/lifestyles/structure. But freedom inside the city often means not worrying about parking the car to go places, therefore being on your feet or taking the bus there gives you more freedom than being "limited" by a car.

Quote:
You can be a slave to your farm nobody is stopping you. The future and smarter generations don't want this though. We base our lives around living and not our car.
I've always been suspicious of "we" wording and group thought, preference. I always give preference to the individual whether they want to own a car or a helicopter.

Realize many of the forces that want you to not have cars, are the same forces that are driving for capitalistic efficiency. There would not be this push with government involved if there wasn't politics/oil involved.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Again, you are wrong. The opposite is true. Inflexible, undemocratic fixed rail is a relic of the past. Let me guess, you probably think whale oil lamps and buggy whips are hip too? Us young and smart people will be riding in style in our self driving cars in the future.

Sorry, but people like freedom & choices which is why on-demand will always be more popular than wait in line.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Again, you are wrong. The opposite is true. Inflexible, undemocratic fixed rail is a relic of the past. Let me guess, you probably think whale oil lamps and buggy whips are hip too? Us young and smart people will be riding in style in our self driving cars in the future.

Sorry, but people like freedom & choices which is why on-demand will always be more popular than wait in line.
Self driving electric or hybrid cars would kill a lot of the benefits people push for "rail"...that is definitely true. B/C these cars will be able to use software algorithms while in city to reduce energy and pick the best routes. There will also probably be self driving buses.

There are tons of issues with rail also, such as usually not serving low income neighborhoods as much, often the very people who need it the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning