Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
It reads like a solution in search of a problem.

PHL is expanding significantly to begin with. The Philly metro is not growing significantly in population or economically, I don't see increased demand for international travel (or other travel) to it, and other metros have other, closer airports with capacity. With US Airways and American likely to merge, PHL may be cut back in terms of flights as they get rid of competing services.

Trenton-Mercer and Wilmington, DE are both better positioned to take some minor destination flights away from Philly than Atlantic City is, as they can both draw on a much larger population willing to drive to them. I expect to see some other LCC's follow Frontier's lead in a few years.

If you are going to make another international airport, ABE (Lehigh Valley International) makes much more sense to me. It's in the middle of the growing Lehigh Valley, the same distance from Philly (and closer to the suburbs of Philly), and can also realistically pull in people from Harrisburg, NJ, and Scranton/WB. So it adds some markets which are currently poorly served in addition to hitting everything that Atlantic City does.

The only thing in Atlantic City at the moment is Spirit, and I can't really see that changing.
Not to mention ABE would also potentially draw from part of N Jersey as well.

I dont by the need for PT for these smaller airports

How many people take PT to EWR or PHL today, not all that many

Also A/B is a metro of 900K, AC is 300K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not to mention ABE would also potentially draw from part of N Jersey as well.

I dont by the need for PT for these smaller airports

How many people take PT to EWR or PHL today, not all that many

Also A/B is a metro of 900K, AC is 300K
Newly built International airports MUST have an access road that connects to a freeway. The area surrounding ABE towards Rte 22 is filled with Residential and commercial development. It is quite difficult for me to plan an airport access expressway from Rte 22 to ABE and design a reasonably large international terminal without cutting through buildings.

However, I would be able to plan a facility similar to Atlantic City International airport at Wilkes Barre & Scranton International airport further north. Only disadvantage is finding viable public transit connectivity to Philly, Harrisburg, and Northern NJ.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Where do you live in New Jersey. From what I know, NYC and Northern NJ suburbs have good bus connectivity to Atlantic City, and Philadelphia has a train to AC.
I don't live in New Jersey. But if the "Atlantic City" airport were more convenient, I might visit Atlantic City more often. Spirit offers good fares and is great for those who travel light.

Last edited by pvande55; 09-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Add note on Spirit, not intended to be an endorsement

Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I don't live in New Jersey. But if the "Atlantic City" airport were more convenient, I might visit Atlantic City more often. Spirit offers good fares and is great for those who travel light.
Then which part of NJ do you visit often. I am guessing that you are a business traveller who frequently visits a particular company in south jersey.

Please forgive me if I made the incorrect assumption .

Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Then which part of NJ do you visit often. I am guessing that you are a business traveller who frequently visits a particular company in south jersey.

Please forgive me if I made the incorrect assumption .
Actually more for pleasure. In addition to AC, Cape May, Ocean City and Wildwood.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:27 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Good afternoon Guys, I would like to ask you what you think about my Plan for Constructing a new terminal at Atlantic City International Airport. The new Terminal will be much larger than the current terminal, and will be able to handle 10 Boeing 777-300's at a given indtant of time. It will have a much wider national network, as well as Transatlantic Flights to Spain, Netherlands, Finland, and Poland. The international Destinations I mentioned are not currently available at PHL.
Why do you think southern Jersey could support an airport of this magnitude?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Why do you think southern Jersey could support an airport of this magnitude?

Trenton Logistically would probably make most sense in between NYC and Philly and could more easially pull from the two markets. The populatiuon within 25 and 50 miles of Trenton is significantly higher than either ABE or ACY

Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Trenton Logistically would probably make most sense in between NYC and Philly and could more easially pull from the two markets. The populatiuon within 25 and 50 miles of Trenton is significantly higher than either ABE or ACY
I would like to see another station added to the West Trenton line by the Trenton Mercer Airport so that people could ride the train right to the airport. It would probably make sense to move the current station, but Horizon Health may object if their customers and staff use the train.

But developing an airport takes decades. For many years Pittsburgh was the dominant airport in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia only passed Pittsburgh in number of passengers in the mid 1990's. You can't build an international airport in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I would like to see another station added to the West Trenton line by the Trenton Mercer Airport so that people could ride the train right to the airport. It would probably make sense to move the current station, but Horizon Health may object if their customers and staff use the train.

But developing an airport takes decades. For many years Pittsburgh was the dominant airport in Pennsylvania. Philadelphia only passed Pittsburgh in number of passengers in the mid 1990's. You can't build an international airport in the middle of nowhere.
Your thread about the West Trenton Line a couple years ago was an inspiration for me .

I have started a separate poll for the West Trenton Line, outlining my plan. It is obvious that Currently, the West Trenton line will be given more importance than AC airport considering the magnitude of traffic along Route 206. I would like to see this rail project completed by 2020

Please visit poll below and vote:
Construction of the West Trenton Line

With Regards to Trenton Mercer Airport, let me take a look at it and see if I am able to plan something Innovative. If so, I will safely debunk the AC Airport plan. I am a Central Jersey guy, and would much rather support an airport in this region . Additionally I will add a TMA train station along NJ Transit West Trenton Line and a connecting underground monorail to the passenger Terminal. Ridership levels should surge once this line is completed.

Only drawback is that I cant guarantee international flights to Europe, since the runways are too small to support a Boeing 777-300.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-26-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Your thread about the West Trenton Line a couple years ago was an inspiration for me .

I have started a separate poll for the West Trenton Line, outlining my plan. It is obvious that Currently, the West Trenton line will be given more importance than AC airport considering the magnitude of traffic along Route 206. I would like to see this rail project completed by 2020

Please visit poll below and vote:
Construction of the West Trenton Line

With Regards to Trenton Mercer Airport, let me take a look at it and see if I am able to plan something Innovative. If so, I will safely debunk the AC Airport plan. I am a Central Jersey guy, and would much rather support an airport in this region . Additionally I will add a TMA train station along NJ Transit West Trenton Line. Ridership levels should surge once this line is completed.

Only drawback is that I cant guarantee international flights to Europe, since the runways are too small to support a Boeing 777-300.
Honestly there is no no immeadiate need for additional Int'l capacity - this would be regional and Domestic. EWR, JFK, PHL will continue to be Int'l drivers regardless

Also the challenge with the West Trenton Line is is really doesnt do a great job to funnel people to NYC, PT would expensive. Not sure if the RiverLine extended to TTN would make more sense but in all honesty I dont PT is make or break - most people that would use this would drive there - also taxis from Trenton could be had for less than 10 bucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning