Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 877 times

Advertisements

Montgomery County, Maryland has awesome parks especially in a mostly urban environment. I am biased - I work there. We have so much diversity - nature centers, lakes, trails, ballfields, ice rinks, playgrounds, tennis courts, light shows, butterfly exhibits, and more. Right outside of the nation's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Cohall View Post
Montgomery County, Maryland has awesome parks especially in a mostly urban environment. I am biased - I work there. We have so much diversity - nature centers, lakes, trails, ballfields, ice rinks, playgrounds, tennis courts, light shows, butterfly exhibits, and more. Right outside of the nation's capital.
I would call it completely suburban. Very nice parks though, you are correct.

My vote would be for Seattle.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Outside of NYC, I'd say St. Louis. I was very impressed with Forest Park. I'm not so sure about the rest of their parks, however.

Washington, DC's parks are for the most part very underwhelming.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Minneapolis is often cited as having one of, if not THE, best park systems in the country. It's certainly the best of any city we've lived in (although some cities have individual parks that I like better than any one park in Minneapolis). In any case, it's often held up as an example of excellent urban park system design, as well it should. I believe the amount of land dedicated to parks per capita is among the highest in the country, and the system is set up so that everyone has easy access to parks. The bigger park areas are mostly all connected, too, via parkways and biking/walking trails.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Trip to Devils Pool in Fairmount Park Philadelphia - YouTube

Old 12-15-2011, 07:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Toronto and Hamilton might not have the best park systems, but they are still great.

Hamilton, despite often being known as an industrial port city has some quite nice parks, mostly around the Niagara Escarpment where there are plenty of waterfalls and the waterfront from Burlington to Stoney Creek.
Here are a some pictures I took last summer:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Toronto has a great network of ravines with lots of trails. And while the waterfront is often criticized, it's only the most visible part of it, which consists of a few blocks downtown and the Portlands that isn't that nice (and progress has been made on that front). Beyond downtown though, you have Bluffers Park, Ashbridges Bay Park, Tommy Thompson Park, the Toronto Islands, a few urban parks from HTO park to Coronation Park and a string of parks further west from Marilynn Bell Park to Humber Bay Park.
My favourite parks in Toronto are:
1. Bluffers Park
2. Rouge Park
3. High Park
4. Ashbridges Bay Park
5. Don River Park

Pictures of parks in Toronto and some of the closer suburbs I took last summer:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

There's only one picture from High Park and hardly anything on the West waterfront parks and nothing of the Toronto Islands, Humber River parks, Don River parks and Credit River parks which are all quite nice.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Denver's system is pretty darn good!

Welcome to Denver Parks

The City of Denver provides over 200 city and mountain parks, and several more rivers and trail areas for the enjoyment of residents and visitors year round.

The system consists of 22 developed parks and 24 conservation/wilderness areas encompassing approximately 14,141 acres of mountain and foothills land owned by the City of Denver.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver's system is pretty darn good!

Welcome to Denver Parks

The City of Denver provides over 200 city and mountain parks, and several more rivers and trail areas for the enjoyment of residents and visitors year round.

The system consists of 22 developed parks and 24 conservation/wilderness areas encompassing approximately 14,141 acres of mountain and foothills land owned by the City of Denver.
Having just visited Red Rocks for the first time, I agree

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Having just visited Red Rocks for the first time, I agree
My daughter is getting married at Red Rocks next fall. (Not at the amphitheater)

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My daughter is getting married at Red Rocks next fall. (Not at the amphitheater)
It's a very cool place. Capped off my snowboard trip nicely. I'm glad someone had the idea to build it. Gorgeous view - excepting the smog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning