Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,146 times

Advertisements

My issue with gentrification is the kind of people who usually occupy these neighborhoods. A lot of people note how many of the newcomers are liberal and progressive yuppies, hipsters, and young families. However, most of the people who tend to come to gentrified neighborhoods have often been some of the most narrow-minded, shallow, and bigoted (not to mention hypocritical) people around.

This is the main thing that turns me off about gentrification. One kind of garbage is replacing another kind of garbage. Seems all the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Well hating those who gentrify is somewhat close minded in itself, isn't it?

Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,871,158 times
idk, but Miami is being gentrifies really fast especially the downtown and surrounding areas.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 PM

355 posts, read 912,386 times
In Indianapolis the most notable area being gentrified is called fountain square, there werent many if any minorities in this area before gentrification, I'd almost bet after its done there will be more than before. It was mostly all poor white people....btw many other minority areas of Indianapolis are gentrifying also, while the far east side is becoming the most diverse area. Basically its receiving all the poor tranplants , white black or mexican.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM

344 posts, read 462,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if in the long off future the US self-segregates itself where the north (from San Francisco and Seattle to Boston and Philly) is largely white, the Southwest (LA to Texas) is largely hispanic, and the Southeast is largely black.
This sounds very plausible to me, but accurately predicting the (distant) future is a hard thing to do.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,417,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Gentrification isn't intentionally pushing out blacks, it's an attempt to push out crime and bring in a wealthier crowd. Since gentrification is pushing out the poor people, it has a higher chance of pushing out some of the criminals.

I'm not saying all criminals are poor, but most the time they are.
thats not true at all , here in brooklyn greenpoint is a safe white polish area and it is also suffering from gentrification.

it has to do with un rich areas close to city limits, not just poor blacks and crime.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,824,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
thats not true at all , here in brooklyn greenpoint is a safe white polish area and it is also suffering from gentrification.

it has to do with un rich areas close to city limits, not just poor blacks and crime.
So if I'm wrong, gentrification would be an intentional disaster for cities?
It's definitely a goal to bring in more wealth and desirability to places, how can you say that's not true?

Sure, some gentrification processes went down the tubes as a financial failure, but why be against what they're intended to do?
I understand that a lot of people can't be a part of the whole experience, but you just can't leave a place to further deteriorate.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
My issue with gentrification is the kind of people who usually occupy these neighborhoods. A lot of people note how many of the newcomers are liberal and progressive yuppies, hipsters, and young families. However, most of the people who tend to come to gentrified neighborhoods have often been some of the most narrow-minded, shallow, and bigoted (not to mention hypocritical) people around.

This is the main thing that turns me off about gentrification. One kind of garbage is replacing another kind of garbage. Seems all the same to me.
And the winner of the Gross Generalization and Stereotype Award is...

Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 AM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
God forbid that anyone bring new investment and energy into a flagging community and provide a burgeoning tax base for the city at large. What a hideous thought.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM

799 posts, read 1,095,748 times
We all know Atlanta got "Gentrified" which took away most of our urban culture in some areas of the city. The areas that are/was at the hands of gentrification was mostly our projects in Atlanta, but then you have areas that are untouched i.e. Metropolitan, Campbellton, Dill Ave, which makes Atlanta look unique in a way. Yes, gentrification takes away the poor in the urban areas, which in the South are mostly blacks. They just pushed the poor problem from out the City of Atlanta and put it in Metro Atlanta.

The economic status of America right now, it seems like gentrification isn't doing that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning