Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 08:03 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystaldreams View Post
I am amazed that you would assume because I dislike Utah that I must have lived in the worse crappiest part of town.. guess assuming really made you look like an BLEEP.. I actually lived in West Jordan.
Now you don't have to resort to name calling. I'm sorry if my sarcasm offended you. I'm just saying it depends on where you live and as far as "gangs and chaos" maybe you should try moving to detroit or the bronx or LA and see if you still feel the same way. It's just amuses me how bad people think it is here in Utah when actually if they lived somewhere "really bad" they'd probably think Utah was Disneyland in comparison!

Last edited by coolcats; 07-03-2007 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: edited swearword
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,199 times
We all come here for different reason. We all leave if we leave, for different reasons. What is heaven for one, maybe hell for the next. Utah is the same as other places in a lot of ways, and different in others. In the end it all comes down to what each individual wants. What each person needs to do before coming here is reasearch out everything they can about the place. I do that for any new place we end up moving too. There is no one paradise that will be everything to you. You make compromises for things you don't like, to be where there are things you do. If you are happy, that is what counts in the end. Just remember that it takes give and take in all instances and situations.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I would say you are in an area where housing is under demand pressure. I lived in a 50-year old 1500 sq. ft. tract home in Sonoma County, and even though the market is down, it's still appraised at $550K. A half acre of land in the Sonoma County area is $350K with $80K in permits and fees on top of that. I bought 6.5 acres outside of Price, UT with power, water, and phone on site for $16K, and we are building a very nice house for $62 a sq. ft. My area of UT has little housing pressure so prices are down.
What is your land like? Is it usable for animals etc? Any trees at all? I’m looking to buy some land at some point. Not really for appreciation, but to eventually have a place to take the family too on weekends. At 20k, the land purchase would be a couple years off, and any permanent structure would be several years away. I’ve been gravitating toward Cache valley or Southern Idaho because it is greener, yet still somewhat affordable. Price is a pretty fun area with the San Rafael Swell and all that. But it’s very arid.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
What is your land like? Is it usable for animals etc? Any trees at all? I’m looking to buy some land at some point. Not really for appreciation, but to eventually have a place to take the family too on weekends. At 20k, the land purchase would be a couple years off, and any permanent structure would be several years away. I’ve been gravitating toward Cache valley or Southern Idaho because it is greener, yet still somewhat affordable. Price is a pretty fun area with the San Rafael Swell and all that. But it’s very arid.
It's as you say, arid, but I love desert topography. I have a view of castle escarpments that are breathtaking. At the present time, my land is primarily sagebrush, cottonwoods, and some (tree/bush?) I haven't identified as of yet. People around me have horses, and I have noticed some of them grazing, but I am sure others are bringing in feed. To grow silage for feed takes water, and not all of my neighbors are doing that.

The soil is clay and although it did PERC I have opted for a non-traditional treatment system from Consolidated Treatment Systems, Inc. I want to use the treated water for landscape irrigation. As I am sure you can surmise water is valuable around here. Things grow very well in the soil. I planted an Oak seedling last year, and it's growing nicely.

I looked at Cache Valley and Southern Idaho also, but there was just something about the property in Price that caught our attention. It just felt right. Who knows, maybe it was intended. My son and his family are moving to Hazelton, Idaho, so we will be closer.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM

22 posts, read 48,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Now you don't have to resort to name calling. I'm sorry if my sarcasm offended you. I'm just saying it depends on where you live and as far as "gangs and chaos" maybe you should try moving to detroit or the bronx or LA and see if you still feel the same way. It's just amuses me how bad people think it is here in Utah when actually if they lived somewhere "really bad" they'd probably think Utah was Disneyland in comparison!
I have lived in LA and went to school in LA also yes I still feel the same way about utah it has become a gang drug violent infested state and there is lots of chaos. the gangs dont just exist in rose park as for I lived in west jordan as i stated the gangs are horrible there and west valley city also.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 50,130 times
Yall seem to argue alot. If you Notice ma name its RP116 ROSEPARK 84-116 area code
ya ders gangs in rose park but thats not the worst of it theres drug problems too. utah gots a really bad meth problem so i dnt think that gangs are the worst of it. Man Da west side may have a bad reputation cuz of the gangs but u need ta realize dat if u look past that its a great cultural experience cuz its very diverse. one block on the west side probably has more then ten different families of different backgrounds

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM

668 posts, read 682,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP116 View Post
Yall seem to argue alot. If you Notice ma name its RP116 ROSEPARK 84-116 area code
ya ders gangs in rose park but thats not the worst of it theres drug problems too. utah gots a really bad meth problem so i dnt think that gangs are the worst of it. Man Da west side may have a bad reputation cuz of the gangs but u need ta realize dat if u look past that its a great cultural experience cuz its very diverse. one block on the west side probably has more then ten different families of different backgrounds

I live in an area with gangsters and meth-heads. The meth-heads are the biggest danger to the common citizen. They do way more robberies and property crimes. I have taught many gangstas over the years, and my oldest daughter had a gangster for a boyfriend for a couple of years (after she graduated and no longer lived with me) He was completely respectful to me and my family. His main conflicts were with rival gangs, not the general public, I think he's growing out of it now at the old age of 21. I'm not saying that Ganstas are angels, but they have it going on upstairs way more than the meth-heads. As RP points out, it's a great cultural experience. Treat them as people, don't fear them, and you shouldn't have problems with them.

Meth-heads have cottage cheese for brains, never trust them.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Would we move out of Utah...yes! But not because of anything we dislike here...we moved here from Placer Co. east of Sacramento. We miss our kids, nieces, nephews, friends. We really don't need this large of a house, and would like to find a smaller home with an acre or two 'back home' That is the main reason we want to leave. St. George area has so much to offer, but we are not golfers, hikers, etc..we both have disabilities that prevent that kind of stuff...and it is beautiful here. Just homesick!

Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 AM

242 posts, read 1,117,199 times
Dogmom what kind of activities can you do? I'm disabled as well. I'm stubborn as all get out, so I try to ignore it as much as possible. I know Washington, Iron, Garfield, And Kane counties very well. So if there is anything I can help you with to find, or do, I will, just PM me.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:04 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
Thanks for your help...we don't have a ton of money...hubby does not like to go to movies. He has bad knees, bad shoulders and chronic pain in the ball of his foot so walking is touch...He uses a cane most times. Sometimes his knees just go out from under him. I have chronic epstein barr virus (chronic fatigue) which is an auto immune disease. I am in some pain at times, mostly just very fatigued. The heat is not helping! Any ideas appreciated...feel free to pm me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah