Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,386,653 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone is on line today or tomorrow AM who can answer this for me. I was recently in contact with the relief society president for my nieghborhood ward.

I am not LDS, but after living here for 4 years and not knowing hardly any of my neighbors or any other moms, I thought that maybe getting involved with the relief society would be a good start.

There is a RS event on 10/7 for craft session I would like to go, so one of the neighhbors that I do know invited me to go to the ward with her tomorrow so I can check out some of the crafts and let choose one that I want to do so I can pay before the deadline sometime next week.

I plan on going for a hike tomorrow, so I was just going to throw on some jeans and a shirt, but I don't want to be rude. I know the dress code is dresses.skirts for women and the pants, white shirt/tie for men. Would it be insulting if I show up in my hiking gear to check out the crafts?

Also am I being naive in thinking that it is no big deal for me to get involved with the RS events with no interest in joining the church? I just really want to try to get to know some of my neighbors and some new people, and some of the events the RS does seem like a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 01:45 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,332 times
[quote][Also am I being naive in thinking that it is no big deal for me to get involved with the RS events with no interest in joining the church? I just really want to try to get to know some of my neighbors and some new people, and some of the events the RS does seem like a lot of fun./QUOTE]

I would encourage you! Yes, there will be a spiritual facet of the(any) program, but no, you don't have to "join" to participate. There's often a "visitor" or two (where I live) at RS functions, often a regular who isn't a member.

If it's not on Sun, jeans is fine. If you're going on Sun, even for a short time, do wear a skirt. Have fun.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Like lolagranola said, if you show up at an LDS ward meeting house on Sundays wearing hiking gear, you'll get a lot of odd looks. Nobody will say anything about it, and they'll treat you the same as if you were wearing a dress, but you'll feel out-of-place being the only person there dressed that way (since everybody else there will be attending worship services and will be in dreses). If you go on any other day, you'd be fine in pretty much whatever.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
i'd make absolutely certain that they understand you are not looking to convert or talk with the missionaries. then just have fun.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'd make absolutely certain that they understand you are not looking to convert or talk with the missionaries. then just have fun.
Yeah, that's good advice.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:21 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,386,653 times
Ok, all went fine today, my worries were for nothing. How do I bring up that I just want to play crafts and other RS events,but I don't want to convert.

I don't personally mind the missionary visits - but its sorta a waste of their time so I don't want them to go out of their way when my decision is 100% not going to change.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
How do I bring up that I just want to play crafts and other RS events,but I don't want to convert.
I wouldn't actually bring it up, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will come up at some point (maybe right away, maybe not for several months). When it does, simply tell the truth... that you wanted to get to know some of the ladies in your area but have absolutely no interest in converting. I think that if you put it like that, you'll be just fine. I hope you get to know some people and have a good time.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,836 times
I am the 'voice' for you. =) We are NOT LDS, we are NOT going to convert, our local stake knows this, & invites to all events. =) When attending relief society or any church events, even if just to watch hubby play basketball in the church's league, I fell, IMO, to dress as if I were wearing garments, ie basketball shorts & a t. No one said anything, I just feel it's more respectful to do so. I have attended a number of relief society meetings, &, for me, shorts & t. If it were Sunday, I probably would be more proper. I wore a dress to tour the Quirrh Mtn temple before it was dedicated. I just wanted to show respect.

Hubby went to the Elder Quroum (sp?) frisbee/football event tonight, & had a blast. Yes, he/we are the only non LDS, but we/& they don't care. For our 'hood, it's all about commroderiee (sp?) =) Heck, hubby & I attend more church events then our 2 LDS neighbors. lol I even tease them that non LDS hubby is at an LDS event & your LDS hubby isn't.

I guess we love the involvement w/o the joining commitment, so, perhaps it's easier for us?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
I am the 'voice' for you. =) We are NOT LDS, we are NOT going to convert, our local stake knows this, & invites to all events. =) When attending relief society or any church events, even if just to watch hubby play basketball in the church's league, I fell, IMO, to dress as if I were wearing garments, ie basketball shorts & a t. No one said anything, I just feel it's more respectful to do so. I have attended a number of relief society meetings, &, for me, shorts & t. If it were Sunday, I probably would be more proper. I wore a dress to tour the Quirrh Mtn temple before it was dedicated. I just wanted to show respect.

Hubby went to the Elder Quroum (sp?) frisbee/football event tonight, & had a blast. Yes, he/we are the only non LDS, but we/& they don't care. For our 'hood, it's all about commroderiee (sp?) =) Heck, hubby & I attend more church events then our 2 LDS neighbors. lol I even tease them that non LDS hubby is at an LDS event & your LDS hubby isn't.

I guess we love the involvement w/o the joining commitment, so, perhaps it's easier for us?
You are such a class-act! No wonder your neighbors like you. Could I talk you into moving to Cottonwood Heights?

Old 09-21-2011, 09:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
Hah ....
We have a terminology for people like you ...

Instant Mormons -- just add water ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah