Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 320,660 times

Advertisements

Due South of Vernal, and East of Roosevelt, the Green River makes a horseshoe bend. When I ask for directions on a map from Orem, it takes me to Vernal and then has me go South. However, I see an alternate route turning right off of US-40 right after Route 88 onto a road called 12 mile wash road. I would drive on 12 mile wash road until I hit a fork, then I would make a left, and after a bit, I would be at horseshoe bend road. Would any of these roads be drivable in a car without 4WD? This place is literally in the middle of nowhere, but I want to go there to pan for gold and rubies. I also served part of my mission in Roosevelt, so it would also be an excuse to see Roosevelt again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Can you legally pan in a Park?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM

97 posts, read 320,660 times
This particular spot is listed in A Guide to Gold Panning in Utah by Alan J. Chenworth. He included topographical maps and wrote a few pages about the spot. So I'm pretty sure it's legal to pan in this spot. And if I found anything good, I would go to whatever state agency I needed to to get rights to set up a sluice box on the Green River.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:35 AM

224 posts, read 639,837 times
motormaker, it isn't in any park, just BLM land.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Isn't Horseshoe Bend part of Dead Horse point?

Horseshoe Bend below Deadhorse Point Utah - All Outdoor Photography by Mike Reid, Boise Wedding and Outdoor Portrait Photographer

And am I reading this wrong/

Horseshoe Bend, Dead Horse Point, Goosenecks State Park - Utah Forum - TripAdvisor

Either way, I think you would need permits before panning.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:58 PM

224 posts, read 639,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Motormaker, you are thinking of the Horseshoe bend of the Colorado by Moab. It is not in a park either if you are on the river, still BLM land. The mesa above it (Dead horse point) where you go to look out on it is a state park.
Goosenecks state park is also a horseshoe bend of the San Juan River just north of Mexican Hat, though, again, I don't think the river is included in the park, just the overlook.
Then there is the Horseshoe Bend Overlook just outside of Page looking out at the Colorado again. That is probably reservation land.

So there are plenty of river bends that are horseshoe. The OP is talking about one just south of Vernal on the Green. Different from the others. Probably not as striking.

But you made me curious so I looked it up and this is the regulation I found for panning in Utah on BLM land from the utah geologic dept: ( Gold Regulations - Utah Geological Survey )
You do not need a permit for recreational gold panning on BLM or Forest Service land, as long as you follow the regulations stated in the section above. (which said)....
You need to determine if the land is open to prospecting, withdrawn from mineral entry, or already covered with mining claims. No mining can occur on withdrawn land. If current mining claims are present, you need to obtain permission from the mining claimant before panning or dredging. To obtain withdrawal and claim status, contact the BLM with the township, range, and section coordinates for your location (shown on topographic maps). Recreational dredging on any stream requires a permit from the Utah Division of Water Rights (see permit information below).

Haven't read the book but I hope the author has done all that research for you and you can go out there and pan....if the road is good.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM

^^ Wow, thanks for all the good research and info., I appreciate it. I now see the bend so of Vernal on Google Maps.

I have been to the one at Mexican Had several times as my in laws lived there many years ago and we have been to the one in Page also.

Thanks for clearing up my geographical boo-boo.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,938 times
I know this is a older thread but regarding the Horseshoe Bend that you guys are all talking about there are a few things that you need to know about it before you thinking about heading out therea.a lot of this bend is privately owned and currently under new ownershipthe.so I would suggest that you have a map showing all private grounds in this area.the areas that look like they have had mines in them before our private properties and there is no recreational mining allowed on these properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: