Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 25,921 times

Advertisements

It's now 2015 and I'm retiring June 2016. I had thought about moving to Cedar City UT from LA. I'm really a small city person. What is it like for non-mormons and particularly Christians living in Cedar City UT. Does it help to have mormon roots? What is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 06:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TILM2015loves View Post
It's now 2015 and I'm retiring June 2016. I had thought about moving to Cedar City UT from LA.
I'm really a small city person.
What is it like for non-mormons and particularly Christians living in Cedar City UT.
Does it help to have mormon roots? What is it like?
OK, since you mentioned if it would help to have *Mormon roots*, do you ??

Coming from the LA area, Cedar City will definitively feel like Small City ...
(18.5 million versus less than 30,000 !! --- Heck, the whole State of Utah has less than 3 million !)

Simply stated, it is like this.
You come to Utah with the ill-pre-conceived idea that you will be not welcomed or shunned or whatever, then, you will be miserable.
You come here and decide to make the best of it, you will be OK.
Keep in mind, *you get used to everything, sooner or later, even hanging* !

Sooner or later, you Will be asked which ward you go to !
--- (As an LDS person myself, I never understood why that is here in Utah ?)
Sooner or later, the Missionaries will find you and start talking to you.
--- (as long as you act civilly and with a smile tell them that you are not interested, you will be OK)
If you partake of alcoholic beverages, find the local state-run store which sells that stuff, on your own.
You start asking, you let people know you are not *their kind* ...
If you smoke, then do it way away from other people.

Keep in mind you are the new one here.
The people in Cedar City have been there a lot longer than you have,
and this is Utah for Heaven's sake, it is Mormon Country. What did you expect ??

You do not agree with the Utah life style, change your retirement plans to a more *like you* area.
In the end you'd be happier.
Utah will change some day, but it will neither be tomorrow nor in the next ten years !

Last but not least you mentioned that you are *Christian*.
Actually, Utah does not really care if your are Christian or not !
Half or more of the rest of the world thinks LDS people are NOT Christian ...

How long have you lived in the LA area ?
When you say *small city*, what do you really mean with small city ?
How much *big city stuff*, do you need at a decent distance away from where you would like to live ?
The nearest *big city stuff* (like an international airport) is at least 3 - 4 hrs drive (250 miles), depending on the traffic.
In bad winters, often a pain in the neck !
Winters are way cold (I think) and it can be bloody windy !

You still think you will like it here, Welcome to Utah !!

Old 12-16-2015, 12:47 PM

243 posts, read 628,683 times
Cedar City is cold and windy 9 months out of the year, and the other 3 months it's hot and windy. Come to St. George. You'd probably like it better coming from LA.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 25,921 times
I have Mormon pioneer roots--coming to Utah with the Brigham Young Company and 2 other companies before 1860. Have never smoked or drank alcohol or coffee. All my habits are acceptable "mormon style" habits. I dress modestly. Irma, thanks for your advice. You do however sound somewhat bitter and judgmental. Am I mistaken about your attitude? I hope so. The smallest community I have ever lived in was 7,500 in Taos, NM. I loved the solitude and beauty. It is 5,000 ft, and somewhat like Cedar City as to climate and weather. God bless you.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
'If you partake of alcoholic beverages, find the local state-run store which sells that stuff, on your own.
You start asking, you let people know you are not *their kind* ..."
I like Utah very, very much and have been visiting there annually now for some time but have had no trouble finding my favorite liquid refreshment: beer. And I don't think people in Utah are as intolerant towards others who consume alcohol as they are supposed to be.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 AM

36 posts, read 66,045 times
I like the fact that there are areas in this country that you can live in that are really nice. Its somewhat sad that people complain about "mormons" and this and that. I am thankful that there were and are people that have/had the foresight to develop areas that one can look to live, and have standards for living.

Me, I am looking to relocate to southern Utah, I want something better than the state of Illinois where I live.
If I make the move then I want to embrace what Utah has to offer, it seems to work. I surely don't want to bring Illinois with me, to many people it seems want to have what Utah has to offer then want to change it to what they are leaving.

I was out in St George in October for the Senior Games and I asked a young man what it is like living out here, and his reply was, you can look in any direction and there is a slice of heaven, I can leave my car keys in my car, and leave my house unlocked. Some of that may be a stretch but, it is appealing to me.

Anyway my search for a home/property will continue. And I hope that by the end of 2016, I am living in Utah.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:00 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,322 times
Before you buy, talk to the ward bishop. If he deigns to talk to you, you may be ok. If not, look elsewhere

Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Before you buy, talk to the ward bishop. If he deigns to talk to you, you may be ok. If not, look elsewhere
Good grief. For starters, I can't imagine an LDS bishop who would refuse to talk to someone who was considering moving into his neighborhood. Secondly, on the extremely off-chance that this actually happened, a person would still be stupid to make such an important decision based on that one factor. After all, bishops serve for only five years, and trust me -- no two bishops are alike. Lastly, why should someone who is non-LDS particularly care about the LDS bishop's personality? He'd only be only one of hundreds of LDS people within the area of a few square blocks. Or maybe the OP should move to the area if the bishop he talks to is friendly, and then move away if the next one isn't.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TILM2015loves View Post
It's now 2015 and I'm retiring June 2016. I had thought about moving to Cedar City UT from LA. I'm really a small city person. What is it like for non-mormons and particularly Christians living in Cedar City UT. Does it help to have mormon roots? What is it like?

Whether or not you still plan to move to Utah it is important that we clear up the above bolded sentence.

Simply put, Mormons are Christians. They've always been Christians and I'm quite sure they always will be Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah